The RETRO Gaming Thread!

Quite a few have popped up in the past 2 years in my city and as I mentioned earlier retro gaming is trending upwards while sneaker collecting is trending downwards.

That said, $50 for some of the console hardware isn't too bad especially when you factor in age. Dreamcast is almost 2 decades old now and older generation GameCubes aren't that far behind. Similarly the Green N64 was somewhat limited when it first dropped so that commands a slight premium while the black ones can be had for $50. N64s were selling brand new for about $99 at the tail end of their life cycle and 20 years later they're still $99. :lol:

It's the game prices that are somewhat crazy, especially when you have 'collectors' paying premiums for garbage games just to complete sets or fill their display cases/stands. :smh:

I guess your right and you get 3 month warranty with systems there, I'm just used to flea market prices, for example I could of got super mario advanced for 5$ from GameStop this week or 8$ normally...at this store it was 18$...I'll probably use the credit on a system

Do you have a collection?

I guess your right and you get 3 month warranty with systems there, I'm just used to flea market prices, for example I could of got super mario advanced for 5$ from GameStop this week or 8$ normally...at this store it was 18$...I'll probably use the credit on a system

Do you have a collection?

I hear you on the pricing, but the same could be said for our sneaker hobby too. You've got a join date of '07 so you've seen joints that could've been had at Nike outlets for $60-$80 get starting MSRPs of $200+ and selling out at the $200+ MSRP. :smh:

The 3 month warranty on the systems is pretty sweet too as you don't want some old electronics crapping out on you. FWIW, I think you need to hop on the consoles sooner rather than later as the retro gaming scene will get worse thanks to NES Mini & upcoming SNES Mini hype coupled with retro gaming overexposure.

Also no collection here my bro, I've always taken exceptional care of my belongings and my folks' were kind enough not to throw out or give away my consoles. So I essentially just had to invest in an upscaling device (necessary to play on HDTVs) and I was back in business. Just buy what I always wanted to play back in the day (and reasonably priced too).

At the local flea picked up a ps1 and this old lady told me take the box for 5$ Inside It had a Wii the Wii tv cable a monster hdmi, 2 PS3 charging type cables and a extension cord so I said why not lol ..it's the first gen Wii missing the cover for the GameCube controllers and I guess the dock not sure if those are important...and the PlayStation big body 9001 I took it apart cleaned it it wasnt as dusty as I thought it would be I fixed the open button stickyness...hopefully I can score the cables for cheap now lol

Last edited:
At the local flea picked up a ps1 and this old lady told me take the box for 5$ Inside It had a Wii the Wii tv cable a monster hdmi, 2 PS3 charging type cables and a extension cord so I said why not lol ..it's the first gen Wii missing the cover for the GameCube controllers and I guess the dock not sure if those are important...and the PlayStation big body 9001 I took it apart cleaned it it wasnt as dusty as I thought it would be I fixed the open button stickyness...hopefully I can score the cables for cheap now lol

Nice scores!

I went to my local Salvation army store yesterday and picked up the following games for $1.50 each. Complete and mint discs too!

Ps1:
Knockout kings 2001
Blaster master
Crash Bash
Buzz Lightyear of star command
Ms. Pacman maze madness
Spyro the Dragon 1
Rampage 2

Ps2:
The Warriors
Spiderman friend or foe

Wii U:
Mario party 10
Pikman 3

Nice, I passed by a couple good wills this weekend found very little gaming stuff, the one place that did have games they were 3.99 each common sports titles

I also picked up namco museum and super monkey ball jr for 5$ as well namco is for sure a keeper for me

Found a power cable for the ps1 at goodwill it turns on the light turns green but don't have the tv connections

From the retro store I had credit with I ended up skipping out on getting a console and picked up Zelda links awakening it was all written on for 8$ I cleaned it but the color from the label came off now oh well I'll print a new label one day...also picked up Zelda oracle of ages for 15$

Random, I remember I let my man borrow my Yellow N64 Controller I got with Diddy Kong Racing, and that fool got robbed the same night for the controller. I guess he didn't have anything else on him but the controller. Left my house, walked to his, robbed. I was pissed. We just joked about it the other day

Nice, I passed by a couple good wills this weekend found very little gaming stuff
Aww man, that sucks. Keep going though because this stuff arrives in bulk. Good chance that when you do come across something it'll be worth it.

As for me, I ended up not finding games at my local stores ...BUT I did pick up three 20 inch Sony professional viewing monitors for gaming. Just have to get the proper cables to hook my consoles up. I heard the picture is arcade like so I'm excited to find out.

^^^
Damn good find if those PVMs work correctly; hopefully they aren't burned out and only require a mild calibration. And TURBO UNO TURBO UNO my man, you must either have a strong back or had a forklift handy to haul those monitors from that store. :lol:

^^^
Damn good find if those PVMs work correctly; hopefully they aren't burned out and only require a mild calibration. And TURBO UNO TURBO UNO my man, you must either have a strong back or had a forklift handy to haul those monitors from that store. :lol:

Yeah, I'm hoping they're still decent. Picked them up from a good area so they shouldn't be junk.

Omg,those things were soooo heavy! I was feeling it by the 3rd one lol. Good thing I didn't park too far.

Last edited:
Good pickup on the famicom mini, probably not as collectible as the nes but u can jailbreak it the same...it's a good emulating machine.

Wow I just checked out some of those pvms they go for a bunch on eBay lol, yea I like to visit the goodwill shops not just for game stuff but furniture too lol I bought this one heavy wood nightstand for 8$ I put some of my gaming stuff on it.

I'm gonna pass on the flea markets this week I'm buying too much right now without moving anything lol...but I ended up picking up a new looking 25th anniversary dsi xl for 40$ Shipped on eBay late last night

If Famicom Mini can be flashed to play English games then it shouldn't be half bad. But looks like the controllers are hardwired to the system and may have been shrunk too - I certainly would not overpay for it.

Some really good PVMs can cost quite alot of money - hopefully TURBO UNO TURBO UNO got one of the better ones.

Yup very tiny controllers and hard wired, also I believe since it has two controllers it doesn't have a power cord which is essentially a USB but still

I said I wasn't gonna buy anything but got a chance to get a silver GameCube with gameboy player no disc wave bird controller, original black controller and he said Lego Star Wars and need for speed for 45$ Locally [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Currently playing Final Fantasy 9, this game is amazing. One of the more underrated ones in the FF series.

Reactions: ASE
Currently playing Final Fantasy 9, this game is amazing. One of the more underrated ones in the FF series.

It is truly up there. Kuja and the character development is great. I also really like the visuals.

The controllers on the Famicom mini are hardwired because that how it was on the actual Famicom.

Yup very tiny controllers and hard wired, also I believe since it has two controllers it doesn't have a power cord which is essentially a USB but still

I said I wasn't gonna buy anything but got a chance to get a silver GameCube with gameboy player no disc wave bird controller, original black controller and he said Lego Star Wars and need for speed for 45$ Locally [emoji]129300[/emoji]

Can't go wrong for $45. If you got one of the OG systems with the digital A/V out port then you really did good for yourself.

Can't go wrong for $45. If you got one of the OG systems with the digital A/V out port then you really did good for yourself.
Sounds like my setup, except my GC is black, which just happens to match the gameboy player it's docked onto. Got 3 wired OG controllers and one legit wavebird- that thing is basically the perfect controller, just wish I had more.

Just checked, and my GC does have the digital output port... guess I need to look into the cord to hook that **** up 
nthat.gif
 Also thinking about buying a cheap/beat-up looking cube to use for parts in case an internal part (disc reader etc) wears out on my black cube.

Update: Damb, y'all weren't kidding about those component cables being expensive! 
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom