The Shield

I've been meaning to watch this show since I've heard good things about it (it being compared to the Wire/Sopranos) - Though I do not think it can match the sheer genius of the shows it's compared to.. I am willing to give this show a chance.  I was just curious if someone who has watched it all could give me some insight on what to expect.  I know it's a cop drama, but are the stories interesting?  What are the cops generally after or does it change it season?  That type of stuff.. Thanks!

Easily one of my favorite cop dramas, You must watch from at least season 2. If you start at 3 or 4 you miss out on a lot of the subliminal message the show has. I personally love it, really keeps you on edge of the street Vic Mackey(sp?) is a shady but intuitive cop I must say.

Originally Posted by MarquiseJ

You must watch from at least season 2 the very first episode!

Fixed; if you start anywhere else you'll miss out on what might be the most important plot point of the series. Extremely good show; my 2nd favorite drama ever (behind Breaking Bad). The character arcs alone make watching the series worth it. Not to mention every single guest actor on the show (Forest Whitaker and Glen Close especially, + Anthony Anderson) are beyond perfect.

Originally Posted by Noskey

Originally Posted by MarquiseJ

You must watch from at least season 2 the very first episode!

Fixed; if you start anywhere else you'll miss out on what might be the most important plot point of the series. Extremely good show; my 2nd favorite drama ever (behind Breaking Bad). The character arcs alone make watching the series worth it. Not to mention every single guest actor on the show (Forest Whitaker and Glen Close especially, + Anthony Anderson) are beyond perfect.
Yes, are the guest stars were great, I loved Glen Close how Vic played her
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

pimp.gif
loved the show...it will keep you entertained and although not a hbo/showtime show its crazy how much they actually got away with

don't go into it expected the next Wire / Sopranos and you'll be fine

I would actually have a tough time ranking those 3 if i had to based off just pure entertainment value

it doesnt really follow a clear cut theme like the wire with the drug trade, docks, kids/schools, newspaper etc but there are always new bosses to work around, cases to crack and trouble to get into/out of

After every episode of The Shield I swear I had to take a deep breath and chill. Show always made me mad nervous. One of the best shows ever IMO.

It's nothing like The Wire or The Sopranos, but it's VERY good.

The first episode sets the tone for the 7 season run the show had. No joke. You'll be hooked after the first episode. It's that good.

One of my favorite shows ever. You won't be disappointed at all. FX shows never disappoint.

Originally Posted by phaze1123

MUST SEE TV....don't ask questions, just watch it. You won't be disappointed!

Listen to this man. Just finished the show like 2 months ago. I'm mad I went through so fast. I will watch it all through again one day.

haha, glad at all the responses. I watched the first 2 episodes of the series last night and I'm curious to where the tension between Vic and Acevedo(sry i can't remember his name yet) goes. Vic did that other dude DIRTY though, even though he was being shady.

Looks interesting.. from what I heard it gets better but thanks for all your input and everyone else can feel free to add more.

As far as cop shows go, it's only not better than The Wire...that's it.

That said, like season 5, I missed a month...fell off...ain't seen the last couple seasons yet.
nerd.gif

Gotta get on that one day, sounded like everyone loved the ending.
30t6p3b.gif

Yeah, i've heard the finales is one of the best ever aside from Six Feet Under.

About to start episode 3 now!

Six Feet Under's was so perfect.
Hit every note of what the show's been about from day 1.

And if reading comics your thing, Y: The Last Man is basically a pay cable show on paper, and it's ending is pretty great.

Hmm, I'll check out Y.

But yeah, Six Feet Under was great on all fronts, the only thing that was boring was the whole plot where Nathan's wife died or w/e.. it seemed to drag when we already knew what happened. I loved that show. I still hate Brenda though.
laugh.gif

The Shield is better than The Wire overall.

Might not be realistic as the wire, but far more entertaining.

Originally Posted by NikeAirForce1

The Shield is better than The Wire overall.

Might not be realistic as the wire, but far more entertaining.

I haven't seen the whole series yet but I gotta say....
calm-down.jpg

Originally Posted by hymen man

I still hate Brenda though.
laugh.gif
man, don't bring it back there.
30t6p3b.gif

I'll admit, she threw me for a curveball that one episode, where she practically gave it up in a department store to some random shopping with his fiancee...had me thinking she could kinda get it...but I snapped in the quickness.
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Everything about her and her parents.
sick.gif

Why'd you have to remind me?
30t6p3b.gif

Back
Top Bottom