The Tesla Motors Appreciation Thread

does everyone qualify for those credit and savings?

Pricing Details
  • Model 3 Standard Range Rear-Wheel Drive$35,000
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint$1,500
  • 18’’ Aero WheelsIncluded
  • Standard Black InteriorIncluded
  • Purchase Price$36,500
  • Federal tax credit- $3,750
  • California EV rebate- $2,500
  • Est. 6-year gas savings- $4,300
  • Estimated Savings
    - $10,550
  • Price after Est. Savings$25,950

Nah and that's the catch they really shouldn't put the gas and federal tax savings off the car as the price most people that are trying to get the 35k model won't qualify for it. But if you're in CA or CO you do get a fat check back for the state incentive.

does everyone qualify for those credit and savings?

Pricing Details
  • Model 3 Standard Range Rear-Wheel Drive$35,000
  • Deep Blue Metallic Paint$1,500
  • 18’’ Aero WheelsIncluded
  • Standard Black InteriorIncluded
  • Purchase Price$36,500
  • Federal tax credit- $3,750
  • California EV rebate- $2,500
  • Est. 6-year gas savings- $4,300
  • Estimated Savings
    - $10,550
  • Price after Est. Savings$25,950

That's what I said years ago before I bought my Model S but no one ever listens. They just see $7500 tax credit and think they get all of it and they think it'll rollover too

How does the tax credit work frank mucus frank mucus MVP MVP

There seems to be a lot of confusion about how tax credits / rebates are applied. I will cover how they apply when financing or buying cash, I am not familiar with the leasing process.

Consider the example of a $50k model 3.

Whether you are paying cash or financing, you will be paying the entire price + taxes and fees. Let's assume that after taxes and fees, the total amount is $55k. That is the exact amount you will be on the hook for come delivery. Whether you pay 55k in cash or finance part of it is up to you.

After you have taken delivery of the car, you may qualify for tax credits and rebates. Let's look at two common ones, the federal tax credit and the CA state rebate.

For the federal tax credit of $7,500:
Throughout the year you may or may not pay federal income taxes. If you are employed at a company and receive a paycheck, income taxes are likely withheld every time you get a paycheck. This is money which you will owe to the government. Let's take a very simple example and pretend that you earn 100k during the year and have paid 35k in income taxes. When you do your yearly taxes, you will "owe" the government $0 dollars. In reality you owe the government $35k but you have already paid that during the year. Once you apply the tax credit of $7,500, the government will have then collected too much money from you. You will then get back $7,500 from the government. This is your money which you already paid!!!

If your tax bill is only $4k through the year, you will only be able to apply $4k in credit instead of the full $7,500. Other credits you receive will also have an impact.

Now we can look at the $2,500 CA rebate:
As long as CA has the funding for the program, you can apply for the rebate at any point after you purchase the vehicle. As long as you meet the requirements of the rebate, you will get a check for $2,500. You do not need to wait until tax season for this, you do not need to have a state tax bill of at least $2,500 in CA.

So if you're the average NTer making $10/hr and you only pay $600 in taxes, you will only get a credit for $600 from the $7500. The remaining amount is gone and does not roll over to the next year like some people think. They don't just give you a check for $7500 either

I'll say it again, Tesla quality is garbage. My model s had a leak in the panoroof. It was along the weather strip or something, but water was seeping slowly down into the car into the floor mats on the passenger and rear seats. Since I don't sit in either of those seats and my car was completely blacked out I didn't know any of this. Now because it hardly rains in the city of SoCal the remaining water and whenever I washed the car, the water leak into the interior under the carpets and pool up. This buildup caused a chemical burn in my nose making me extra sensitive and the interior had to be replaced.

Now I'm driving in a Mercedes S Class and it's so much better. The massaging seats and designo leather can't be compared and I like MB's Distronic more than Tesla's autopilot.

I'll say it again, Tesla quality is garbage. My model s had a leak in the panoroof. It was along the weather strip or something, but water was seeping slowly down into the car into the floor mats on the passenger and rear seats. Since I don't sit in either of those seats and my car was completely blacked out I didn't know any of this. Now because it hardly rains in the city of SoCal the remaining water and whenever I washed the car, the water leak into the interior under the carpets and pool up. This buildup caused a chemical burn in my nose making me extra sensitive and the interior had to be replaced.

Any other notions?

Panoroof/Sunroof are knwom for leaks...Cadillacs got it bad.

Any other notions?

Panoroof/Sunroof are knwom for leaks...Cadillacs got it bad.

For the model s the leather is terrible. I'm actually not a heavy set person, I'm only 170lbs but the seats look like my troll weight of 315lbs have been jumping on them like a trampoline. It is literally the thinnest piece of leather I've ever felt and it rips easily. Not worth the additional upgrade. The door handles are terrible too. They've been repaired numerous times and right after I sold mine I got an email from Tesla (because they thought I still owned the car) that they just received four new door handles to replace all of them because the new owner had them all failed. The roof lining was falling off on the driver side, misaligned trim pieces, and for a month the screen would go blank or navigation would go repeat itself nonstop until I exited the car but this problem never occured again.

That's what I remember, but I'm sure there were other problems I'm forgetting.

That dual motor performance model 3 got me tempted. 0-60 under 4 seconds at that price. I'll wait another generation though. Something about having my car built in a tent got me feeling iffy. Lol.

For the model s the leather is terrible. I'm actually not a heavy set person, I'm only 170lbs but the seats look like my troll weight of 315lbs have been jumping on them like a trampoline. It is literally the thinnest piece of leather I've ever felt and it rips easily. Not worth the additional upgrade. The door handles are terrible too. They've been repaired numerous times and right after I sold mine I got an email from Tesla (because they thought I still owned the car) that they just received four new door handles to replace all of them because the new owner had them all failed. The roof lining was falling off on the driver side, misaligned trim pieces, and for a month the screen would go blank or navigation would go repeat itself nonstop until I exited the car but this problem never occured again.

That's what I remember, but I'm sure there were other problems I'm forgetting.

Frank what you end up getting if you don't mind me asking...

So if you're the average NTer making $10/hr and you only pay $600 in taxes, you will only get a credit for $600 from the $7500. The remaining amount is gone and does not roll over to the next year like some people think. They don't just give you a check for $7500 either

So technically you can copp the car and change your W-4 dependants to 9 then you'll be getting most of your income and that $7500 from the car can pay what you owe at end of year.
Right?

Now I'm driving in a Mercedes S Class and it's so much better. The massaging seats and designo leather can't be compared and I like MB's Distronic more than Tesla's autopilot.
Yeah this happened to one of my dads old law partners but this was when they first came out. He did the same thing you did and switched to the s class also. Another one has the S but didn't have many problems but did agree that the interior wasn't the greatest for that price point. He still has one though but the facelifted one to replace the one he got in 2014.

I think you'd be better getting a Mercedes A class
I think most folks want these because they are a status/clout thing even though most will say they aren't. A friend of a friend has the 3 and at least he said that's mainly why he got it for and cheaper "gas"

I heard that the 2014 S model were the ones that has a lot of problems.

Yeah this happened to one of my dads old law partners but this was when they first came out. He did the same thing you did and switched to the s class also. Another one has the S but didn't have many problems but did agree that the interior wasn't the greatest for that price point. He still has one though but the facelifted one to replace the one he got in 2014.

I think most folks want these because they are a status/clout thing even though most will say they aren't. A friend of a friend has the 3 and at least he said that's mainly why he got it for and cheaper "gas"

The savings in gas is ridiculous. I paid about $50/month extra for electricity. Now I'm paying about $60 a week on gas.

My Tesla was a 2013 and sold it just a few days before the warranty was up

Back
Top Bottom