the thread about nothing...

F4C57633-D07D-4149-B8B7-EF87B802EF78.jpeg

This ruined my day.
I saw this photo and thought 'he looks like he's on meth'. I proceeded to read the article and confirmed it was meth.

Surprised he was up in Oroville. That's really a country bumpkin area in the Sierra Foothills of CA. Hopefully he gets the help he needs.

The article states the his manager 'hoped' he would clean up his act after his first stint in jail. Wonder if they tried to get him help and not just 'hope' he'd clean up his act.

Hmm

Kid is from a poor background

He's smart

Sounds like a rags to riches story in the making

Now that I'm thinking about it, if the most expensive thing he's asking for is 20 bucks I'd pay it
I think he should comply here and there, but set some boundaries. Even if the mentor is doing a good deed, some people have a weird way of feeling slighted when they do not get exactly what they want. Pun intended.

I think he should comply here and there, but set some boundaries. Even if the mentor is doing a good deed, some people have a weird way of feeling slighted when they do not get exactly what they want. Pun intended.

The program is against spending >$20 when mentors/mentees hang out.
They even specifically recommend free things to do (walks in parks, museums, etc.).
They've obviously dealt with past situations of mentees trying to take advantage.
It's not like the program is paying the mentors. This is all volunteering.

I'm not dropping $80 on 2 tickets to a tourist spot.
$10 for hipster ice cream? I can do that.

They even specifically recommend free things to do (walks in parks, museums, etc.).
They've obviously dealt with past situations of mentees trying to take advantage.

That's easy...there's a rule in place. Just remind him of that.

No offense but I'm trying to look at it from these kids' point of view. What's their incentive to hang out with older ppl doing stuff like walk in the park or eat ice cream or go to a museum?

They don't got friends?

Lol don't shoot me, I'm just curious

I think it would be okay to let him know that you have a budget and you'll be sticking to it. I get he's trying to support his family by bringing some food home. But the mentorship isn't the place to work the system to bring food home.

$10 hipster ice cream? Man, idk if I would even do that lmao

No offense but I'm trying to look at it from these kids' point of view. What's their incentive to hang out with older ppl doing stuff like walk in the park or eat ice cream or go to a museum?

They don't got friends?

Mentorship. I'm assuming spending time with a 'big' would be an opportunity for them to learn life lessons and hear advice and how to grow up.

They don't got friends?

The mentors in this program work in specific industries that the mentees are interested in.
So it's a combo of networking + mentors who are more experienced and can offer advice on high school, college, etc.
The kids themselves are very intelligent, top of their classes.
The program helps them get into elite boarding schools for high school.
Most come from families on welfare, first in their families to go to college, etc.

freakydestroyer freakydestroyer
kingfoamnyc kingfoamnyc

Thank you, I've mentioned this to him before.
Kid is definitely smart, but lacks some social cues.
Reminds me of a young Urkel, no Stefan.
This isn't the only mentorship program I'm in, so I'm cutting costs across the board.

Props to you for actually being out here and making a change in these kids lives, also being honest about the situation and speaking up about it even tho it was with NT is very amicable. Keep up the great work my guy

Back
Top Bottom