the thread about nothing...

1640440725134.png
Reported.

Y'all had to pledged your allegiance to the flag in school everyday?
I always thought that was super weird. Then again Belgium is about as polar opposite as it gets.
I think we had to recite our national anthem once during music class in elementary school but that's about it. I couldn't tell you more than 1 line from our anthem, the same probably goes for almost everyone I know.

Hell even one of our former Prime Ministers didn't know our anthem. He started singing the French anthem when he was put on the spot. Wasn't a big deal imo, I thought it was hilarious. At the end of the day I can't be mad at someone, even our PM, for not knowing it when I myself couldn't care less about it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/23/world/europe/23iht-belgium.4.6789277.html

Top politician forgets Belgian national anthem​

Belgium was reeling Monday after the country's likely new prime minister was asked on Belgium's National Day to sing the national anthem and inadvertently launched into the French anthem instead.

Asked Saturday by a reporter from a state television channel, RTBF, to sing the Belgian national anthem, "La Brabançonne," on the day commemorating the accession of King Leopold I of Belgium to the throne in 1831, Yves Leterme, a Flemish politician who is struggling to form a coalition government, smiled at the camera and blurted out, "Allons enfants de la patrie" - the first words of "La Marseillaise."

Pressed by the reporter as to whether he really thought those were the words, Leterme, the head of the Flemish Christian Democrat party, replied: "Oh, I don't know." Shortly afterward, he was filmed making a telephone call on his cellphone during a religious service, and, in a final gaffe, he proclaimed in an interview at the independence festivities that his countrymen were, in fact, celebrating "the proclamation of the Constitution."

Back
Top Bottom