the thread about nothing...

DLjlqWyX4AANPDH.jpg

Belgium, I would probably sit on that money until you have time for everything to process. It's not good to spend money when there's feelings attached, nothing good can come of it
Yeah I bought myself a piece of jewelry to give myself a treat but that's it. The rest is staying untouched in my accounts. Around €100k is in a very low-risk investment account with my bank, the other €200k is currently sitting in a savings account because the government still needs to come for their share later this year. That should be around a €70k death tax. Depending on other factors it may be more or less. The notary's current draft of the total financial disclosure is around €477000, which includes the liquid funds and property assets such as the paid off house, though it's technically uninhabitable at this time. I have an appointment next week to finalize the financial disclosure and file it to the government. Then all that's left to complete the process will be to pay the death tax.
When that whole process is done I'll meet with the bank and other entities to discuss the best options to expand that capital and work towards owning a home.

I did inherit dad's paid off house but there's a god awful stench of old cigars and booze that is in every single square inch of the house, especially the wooden floor upstairs. As well as a lot of structural damage from many years of zero cleaning whatsoever. Even after months of opening the windows every day, using ventilators, thorough cleaning, ... the stench is still exactly the same. My throat hurts every time I spend more than a few minutes in that house. Even if we could demolish and rebuild it, both I and my mom have some pretty awful memories from that place and I really don't want to move back to that town.
It's a decent sized property with a walled off backyard as well as being located in the center of that town so that does boost its value for someone who wants to demolish it and build a new property or appartments. That's for way after everything is settled and looking into my options with the necessary experts.

This may come off offensive or something or personal but I don't mean it like any of those ways....but do you think it's possible that your old man went out like he did to maybe....make up for everything.......you know what I mean ?

It seems as if everything was set so that when he passed you would be very comfortable. Even to the point where if he died before a certain date that youd get 15,000 euro. That's alot. Then...300,000 euro...what would he have been saving that for

I mean I could be completely wrong I don't know your life.
Don't worry it's not offensive or anything, and I don't mind talking about personal information with people online.
To put it rather bluntly, I never really got the impression he cared much about me. He initially tried to force my mom to abort me as he didn't want a child.
His actions throughout my upbringing didn't exactly show much affection either. When I was younger he was drunk behind the wheel with me in the car dozens of times. He has somehow never gotten any record of a DUI or accident in general so thankfully I wasn't harmed in those situations.

Personally I don't believe he was saving money for me or anything. He never really apologized for anything he did, even in those final 5-6 weeks in the hospital.
It took him a few weeks after being admitted to the hospital looking completely yellow, bruises everywhere, severe liver cirrhosis, ... to even admit to me that something was wrong with his liver. But he wouldn't say if drinking had anything to do with it. He kept saying "oh it's just my back" and if I said I'd ask the doctors for more information he'd get pissed and tell me to go mind my own business. I was hoping for at least some kind of apology or even an admission of having done anything wrong as his condition degraded in those final weeks but it never came. He didn't go to the hospital voluntarily either, my aunt who lives very close to his house had to drag him out of the house and drive him to the ER. Throughout his entire stay he continually bashed her for taking him away from his house. Throughout the years we've tried to get him to get checked by a doctor for his alcoholism, even going as far as trying to sneak our general physician in the house so he couldn't lock the door and keep the doctor from entering like he always did. But that plan didn't work unfortunately. He just wouldn't say a word and went upstairs and locked the door.

According to the bank records he had also had access to at least €200k during a period where he repeatedly refused to pitch in €100 or so on various occasions claiming "I need money to live too".
For my birthday he'd usually give me €10 or €20, nothing for christmas or newyear. To be fair I never ask for gifts from my parents so I didn't mind either way but other family members on dad's side of the family always slammed him for that. Or when he'd complain to them about being asked on occasion to pitch in a small amount for my medical bills. Even with me telling them it's no issue to me. But he kept doing the same despite that huge pile of money. :lol:
He has always been very protective of his money and I'd always have to choose my words very carefully to not anger him. I always had to bring up something else so I could then try to slowly direct the conversation into the direction of money, otherwise he'd just get angry right away.

As for the €15k group insurance, it's a standard thing for employers here. Most employers offer some form of group insurance with a clause that gives the beneficiary a payout if that individual on the group insurance dies. The amount varies per group insurance plan and also the time of death. If he had died a week later for example my payout would be far less than half of that. He spent his final 5-6 weeks in the hospital so he didn't have much choice in when he wanted to go out. One afternoon he went into a coma as his liver broke down completely and then he died later that night after I signed a Do Not Reanimate.

I hate how stores haggle you and put you through not one, but two managers to talk to you before they give you your money back.

TV guy came through not once, but twice, and keeps effing up the install. I was not about to pay for that shoddy service. And I was not about to let them come back a third time and waste my time

Took me a while, but I got my money back. Wish they would've given it back to me without the hassle

I can't believe at first they were adamant about not giving the money back, but after wearing them down, they were like, At least let us come to the home for free, we'll get it right this time. Lol, I'm not giving you another chance

Last edited:
It's 75 in Las Vegas but 87 in LA.
How is that possible lol

The weather isn't the same everywhere
I hate how stores haggle you and put you through not one, but two managers to talk to you before they give you your money back.

TV guy came through not once, but twice, and keeps effing up the install. I was not about to pay for that shoddy service. And I was not about to let them come back a third time and waste my time

Took me a while, but I got my money back. Wish they would've given it back to me without the hassle

I can't believe at first they were adamant about not giving the money back, but after wearing them down, they were like, At least let us come to the home for free, we'll get it right this time. Lol, I'm not giving you another chance

Places always make it inconvenient to get your money back. They do that **** on purpose and it's annoying af

I'm about to do the soundbar mount myself. Actually, no, that's a lie. Idk what I'm doing so I called my pops to come help me out :rofl:

I like to cut my steak and all my food up first before I start to eat. My wife doesn't really like her food to mix while she eats. As I like to dab a little of everything on my fork. A co worker of mine can't let his food touch on the plate.

What kind of habits you got?

Back
Top Bottom