the thread about nothing...

ok, AI

smile-zoom-in.gif

These mfs
iced-nz-haka-boy.gif

They definitely were for a long time. I saw a stat somewhere that from something like 2000-2020 they had the highest winning percentage in sports.

The 2011 WC was one of my favorites - their no 10 was Dan Carter, who for a long time was one of the best in the world, and he got injured, then his backup got injured and then his backup… That position is basically the QB and they’re now in the equivalent of the Super Bowl with a guy who they had to find in the wilderness - he was away fishing trying to avoid the tournament. He only went and kicked a field goal to win the whole thing. It’s not hard to see that his jersey doesn’t fit well after a few weeks of fishing and beer.

Other good teams usually are Australia, South Africa, Argentina, England, Scotland, Ireland (currently ranked no 1), France. Then there are some teams that are usually a bit behind them.

My irritation with the WC is that they seed the teams on the ranking a while ago. Scotland are currently ranked 5 but a while ago were lower down so got screwed and are in a group with 2 other good teams - where most other decent teams only have 1 so have a good chance of getting out of the pool stage - where we have a difficult route out.

All blacks?
im-not-eating-something-that.jpg

It’s actually all from someone mishearing - a commentator described them as playing like “all backs”. A bit like your football you have big strong players who play in close and smaller faster players out wide - NZ play a bit differently from most and even their big players are very skilled and pretty fast. But, because of their black uniform that was misheard and the nickname has stick for a long time.

They do have quite a few Māori players now - but there aren’t many people of African origin there.

It looks weird if you ever see them in their change uniform - some sort of grey or white usually and they try to do it as little as possible. Adidas pay a ton of money and make a big thing of them being in black.

They definitely were for a long time. I saw a stat somewhere that from something like 2000-2020 they had the highest winning percentage in sports.

The 2011 WC was one of my favorites - their no 10 was Dan Carter, who for a long time was one of the best in the world, and he got injured, then his backup got injured and then his backup… That position is basically the QB and they’re now in the equivalent of the Super Bowl with a guy who they had to find in the wilderness - he was away fishing trying to avoid the tournament. He only went and kicked a field goal to win the whole thing. It’s not hard to see that his jersey doesn’t fit well after a few weeks of fishing and beer.

Other good teams usually are Australia, South Africa, Argentina, England, Scotland, Ireland (currently ranked no 1), France. Then there are some teams that are usually a bit behind them.

My irritation with the WC is that they seed the teams on the ranking a while ago. Scotland are currently ranked 5 but a while ago were lower down so got screwed and are in a group with 2 other good teams - where most other decent teams only have 1 so have a good chance of getting out of the pool stage - where we have a difficult route out.

I remember them coming to England back in 2015. my cousin was so excited on watching the All Blacks, well everyone was as Rugby Fans. they were so entertaining and fun to watch. can't believe that was almost 8 years ago now.

Been playing for almost 20 years. Rugby in the states has gotten a lot better. We're behind skill wise compared to Tier 1 Nations (Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa) and even some of the Tier 2 Nations (Fiji, Samoa, Tonga..imo). But we have some great athletes

Been playing for almost 20 years. Rugby in the states has gotten a lot better. We're behind skill wise compared to Tier 1 Nations (Argentina, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa) and even some of the Tier 2 Nations (Fiji, Samoa, Tonga..imo). But we have some great athletes

The thought of playing rugby against Somoans and Tongans…nah no thanks, I rather not run into a brick wall or get run over by a truck. :lol:

That’s totally true - it’s similar to soccer in that the US team is always super fit and well organised - but just doesn’t have the skills and depth against those teams where they’ve lived rugby for a century.

The thought of playing rugby against Somoans and Tongans…nah no thanks, I rather not run into a brick wall or get run over by a truck. :lol:
I would have played it as one of my primary sports when I was younger. I was a slimmer dude back then but I can really take a hit or run at a wall. hell I would have played as an RB. Samoans and Tongans though are built like heavy balance of muscles and fat. couldn't do that now though inspite of being bigger and wider without tearing some muscles, dislocated joints and etc...

being younger makes you feel invincible.

Back
Top Bottom