The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Spain looked terrible.  They were trying to move everything through the center midfield.  They did nothing outside.  Chile piled players into the center midfield.  The only player that looked "on" per se was Iniesta.  And even he didn't look at the top of his game.  Idk what Jordi Alba was doing.  David Silva was just going through the motions.  Diego Costa forgot he was on a soccer field at times.  Ramos had careless turnovers out of the back.  Busquets with the horrible open goal miss.  The team as a whole looked disinterested and had no drive.  Santi Carzola came in and looked a little more energetic.

Spain still had the talent.  I don't think anyone saw this coming.  Coming in everyone was saying they are the same spanish team that won 2 euro's and a WC but with the best CF in the world now in Diego Costa.  If Xavi is looking old you have Cesc.  They had tons of talent on the roster but motivation and chemistry can't really be gauged pre world cup.  They will be back though.  Waiting for my boy Isco to get his shot.

Croatia looking like they will be a tough out.  Them vs Mexico will be a great game.

USA vs Portugal will be a great game with or without Ronaldo.  I think the US stands a great chance of at least a tie with no ronaldo, coentrao, and almeida.  Pulling for Argentina and Italy as well

What's exactly the style of play known as tiki-taka?

I've seen you guys Reference it a few times.

Is there a football / basketball style of place
Comparable ?

No current basketball or football style is comparable. As their are shot clocks in basketball and football is too different of a sport to compare.

I'll give you a hypothetical for basketball tho. Imagine basketball has no shot clocks and it was really hard to score a basket - the objective is to find the the best dribblers and passers on the planet (somewhat like the San Antonio Spurs lol). Their job is to keep the ball for as long as possible so you can't score, so they pass the ball a lot but the passing isn't risky because they don't want you to steal or take the ball away. However they pass the ball so quickly and dribble so well that the other players without the ball are always in a "triangle"'position to receive the ball (like Phil Jackson). At one point the defense gets exploited by the gaps and space they create because they're trying to chase and get the ball away that eventually a "basket is scored". If the other gets a chance to have the ball, then they're right on top of you with full court pressure making it very difficult for you to get it past half court.

That's the best I can do comparing tika-taka to basketball lol. I tried

When it's working properly it's a great gameplan but as of right now the system is looking deflated and defeated (it may make a comeback with a new generation or it may not) .

Why is he crying? Not even taking shots I just wasn't expecting that. Must be related to Knowshon Moreno.

I wish Drogba was still at Chelsea :frown:

Drogba certainly isn't young, unlikely he will play in another WC at the age of 40 
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom