The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

Idgaf how many english players are on a primier league team, just give me the best players and teams all in one league. International soccer only relevant every 4 years. Euro cup overrated

I'm pissed Ronaldo is missing tonight's Brazil and Portugal friendly :smh:

If I was going to the game in Boston I'd be heated. Wish Bruma or Quaresma would take his spot, make it somewhat entertaining on the wing. Guess we'll just have to deal with Nani. :rolleyes

Im going :smh: :smh:

Hopefully Oscar and Hulk are there at least. Would be cool to see Neymar

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...gest-impact-players-in-international-friendly

"While the undisputed best player between both sides—Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo—won't be playing in the match according to FIFA.com, there is still no shortage of talent on each roster to fill a list of star players.

Just as well, Oscar of Brazil would typically make a list such as this, but he sustained an injury for Chelsea last week (via Daily Mail) and it makes his appearance in the friendly unlikely. The Daily Mail report also says Hulk, Fred and Dani Alves are all nursing injuries, so I've excluded them from the rankings for caution."

:x

That's funny considering Chelsea has just as many England NT players as anybody outside of United.

Righhhhhhhttttttttt....
:lol: this guy is delusional
Cole, Lampard, and Terry are the only ones who come to mind

Idgaf how many english players are on a primier league team, just give me the best players and teams all in one league. International soccer only relevant every 4 years. Euro cup overrated
not sure if serious

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Team physio stops the goal twice.
came in here to post this
they wanted to kill dude :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Delusional? Cole, Terry, Bertrand, Cahill, Lampard

Until January we had Sturridge too

Plus McEachran and Chalobah on the U21s

So spare me the Chelsea doesn't provide any England NT players nonsense

holyFlock, that was funny. Just when you think you've seen it all on the pitch, something like that happens.

Edit - bad weekend for physios... Germany's physio tore the muscle in his left leg running onto the pitch to help Marcel Schmelzer & then fell over & broke his figure. Poor guy...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130908/german-physio-injury-soccer/?sct=sc_t2_a7

Germany physio suffers injury while tending to injury

Sept 8 (Reuters) -- Germany's physiotherapist suffered two injuries as he ran on to the pitch to treat a player during Friday's World Cup qualifier against Austria.

Klaus Eder, who has worked for the German federation for 25 year, tore a muscle in his left leg as he went to tend to Marcel Schmelzer, causing him to fall over and break his finger.

"I now have to put into practice what I always tell my patients," the 60-year-old told the German federation's website (www.dfb.de) on Sunday.

"Patience is important and you should not expect a lot of progress too soon.

"The way the players reacted was very comforting," he said. "Philipp Lahm brought me the ice pack, Mesut Ozil and Miroslav Klose held me and led me off the field."

Last edited:
The funny thing is what the heck was going through that physio's head. I mean he passion enough for the side where he thought he had to get out there & stop the goal by any means necessary. Like how on earth was that remotely logical. :lol:

Last edited:
I think it's weird enough that he was just standing right on the post and nobody had a problem with it like he was someone's dumb cousin at a rec league game

Last edited:
I'm surprised no one has discussed the Iker Casillas and Victor Valdes situation in Spain.

Catalan papers and media were going crazy the other day when Casillas started over Valdes. Sparking a mini civil war in the press and public opinion between the Catalan's and Spaniard's.

Del Bosque knows he's playing the favoritism card here, he knows picking Casillas was wrong and would cause Catalans to go crazy. But he's a Castellano thru and thru. He wanted his poster boy in the game.

Spanish-Catalan drama is the best. :lol:

I'm surprised no one has discussed the Iker Casillas and Victor Valdes situation in Spain.

Catalan papers and media were going crazy the other day when Casillas started over Valdes. Sparking a mini civil war in the press and public opinion between the Catalan's and Spaniard's.

Del Bosque knows he's playing the favoritism card here, he knows picking Casillas was wrong and would cause Catalans to go crazy. But he's a Castellano thru and thru. He wanted his poster boy in the game.

Spanish-Catalan drama is the best. :lol:

The British press is known for lies (specifically murdock owned press) & the Spanish is known for it's melodrama. I think this is much ado about nothing. Just more fodder for fans to argue about with the Spanish press all to happy to fan the flames.

Outside of Valdez getting injured, he's got a spot on the team locked up. Plus his form to begin the season is nothing short of spectacular. If he continues this form, it would surely be worthy of another Zamora trophy.

I get the impression Valdez doesn't care about Iker getting the nod to start. I'm not an Iker hating but his loss of form is surprising. After the long lay off from Jose not playing him one would expect him to come out like gang busters during the CONFED Cup but he looked awful. I was actually sad to see just how awful he looked.

Last edited:
^ Agreed.

Did anyone know that Messi has a mild form of Aspergers Syndrome? :wow:

Last edited:

Eric Dier moved to Portugal when he was 10 years old, he was groomed and taught football at Sportings academy. He should play for Portugal but he decided against it. He's an exception.

I don't think English players need to play abroad to get better. The Germans, Italians, and Spaniards for the most part play for there respective countries and they do just fine.

It all starts with English football and the mentality, it needs to be changed. Tactically and skill wise, they're low on the totem pole. They see and play the game in there "own" way and have been way to arrogant to change. It's not progressive.

Once the mentality is changed then the youth systems and coaches can develop these youngsters. They're years behind. I doubt it happens. Arrogance is pride, the English take too much pride since they invented the game.

I think the article was trying to make the point that he would have more skill to offer. But I had no clue he was there since 10. But as for me, I would just like to see more British players abroad for no particular reason.

But I agree with you, the mentality issue is the focal point. I like to be optimistic about things so hopefully it does but as you said, they are years behind. Hopefully it doesn't take the loss of money to bring change

In regards to the lack of English talent coming through I can speak first hand as to why this is happening as I watch it through my very own eyes living here,
The MAIN issue we have is that kids are not playing football on the streets anymore or outside like they have always done in the past, h3ll that was all I did as a kid, Now this generation of youngins sit indoors playing FIFA, These kids would rather be the best on FIFA a video game then go out and try to be the best in real life :smh:
The kids that are coming through are the ones in under privileged areas mainly and this has become more and more the case since Video Game consoles have became more popular over the last 10 - 15 years.'

This reminds me of the US a bit, in the sense that soccer was never really played in the streets. You could compare it to other sports as basketball and how there are always so many pick up games being played and such. You build skills and learn the game better.

So I was really happy when US Soccer said it was going to implementing futsal into the development. Something that will definitely help the youth develop the skills we have lacked over the years. And also that coaches would be going to top academies in Europe to learn. But at the same time, the US is obviously much lower on the totem pole in various aspects of soccer compared to the UK. But only time will tell. Not even just among players but coaches as well.

We're all aware of the overhaul German academies underwent a few years ago. Just reminds me how many articles and commentators were saying that the FA needs to take note

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/jul/04/germany-youth-development-england

^ Agreed.

Saw it on Reddit this morning, forgot about it but thinks for reminding me!
Someone posted this article about a surfer with autism and how it might have helped him become a better athlete
http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/news/story?id=4437460

It is odd though that a Brazilian media outlet is breaking this story. You could say that from what we read about his social interactions, he fits the description. I'll wait for more credible sources haha, but I feel that this will be swept under the rug

Last edited:
That's funny considering Chelsea has just as many England NT players as anybody outside of United.

Righhhhhhhttttttttt....
:lol: this guy is delusional
Cole, Lampard, and Terry are the only ones who come to mind

not sure if serious

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Team physio stops the goal twice.
came in here to post this
they wanted to kill dude :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

holy **** :rofl:

^ Agreed.

Saw it on Reddit this morning, forgot about it but thinks for reminding me!
Someone posted this article about a surfer with autism and how it might have helped him become a better athlete
http://espn.go.com/action/surfing/news/story?id=4437460

It is odd though that a Brazilian media outlet is breaking this story. You could say that from what we read about his social interactions, he fits the description. I'll wait for more credible sources haha, but I feel that this will be swept under the rug

It's believed that Einstein, Tesla, & Issac Newton fell into the spectrum of Autism too (Aspergers being a milder form).

Men of brilliance, just like Messi himself

:pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Exclusive with Sepp Blatter: Everyone complains about winter 2022, but what about discrimination

Published on Monday, 09 September 2013 11:00

September 9 - The recent heated debate about potentially playing the FIFA World Cup 2022 in what would be the European winter (note European) has generated some agreement and considerable dissent among football pundits, administrators and politicians alike. Insideworldfootball's Paul Nicholson spoke exclusively to FIFA's President, Joseph S. Blatter, and asked him what repercussions he is expecting – if any - to his proposal to shift dates.

President Blatter, when you took the initiative and unilaterally announced that the FIFA World Cup cannot be played in Qatar's summer months, many people agreed. But when you offered to take the matter to your Executive Committee (FIFA's Board) and urge it to postpone the World Cup to winter, initially all hell broke loose. Did you expect such a violent reaction?

JSB: Well, to be honest, I was not completely surprised because Qatar, like all other bidding nations, had bid for staging the World Cup in summer. After many discussions, deliberations and critical review of the entire matter, I came to the conclusion that playing the World Cup in the heat of Qatar's summer was simply not a responsible thing to do - despite the fact that I know full well that Qatar has the means to develop the best cooling technology. That is why I went public and suggested that the FIFA ExCo should review the period when the event shall be staged and see what consequences it would have to play in winter.

There was instant opposition to your proposal, not only from European Leagues, some of which have been very vociferous, but possibly also from other quarters...?

JSB: Of course. Some people immediately jumped to conclusions, demanded that the entire awarding process be reviewed if not re-voted upon, others were harshly critical and demanded to know why it had taken me two and a half years to notice that a summer tournament was not possible in Qatar. The same people forget a few facts though...

...and which facts are those?

JSB: Well, to start with, the loudest critics, the ones who should know better because they signed the exact same bidding documents as Qatar did (the Bid Registration Agreement) must know that point 1.2.1. stipulates that the 22nd edition of the FIFA World Cup is "scheduled to take place" in June and/or July of 2022 "in principle". It does not say that it 'must' take place in those months, nor is it a "conditio sine qua non" to host the World Cup in June and July. What the document does, is express FIFA's wish to host the World Cup in June or July....

Qatar 2022.2

... but is that not semantics? After all the World Cup has always been held in summer...

JSB: You see, that is the crucial point. It was always held in the EUROPEAN (his emphasis) summer. It always succumbed to the European audience and it satisfied the European prerogatives. But the world has become a much smaller place. Distances have become much shorter as well. And above all, the world has become more inclusive and in many ways more just – although the conflicts that are being fought often let us forget that. My point is this: as a staunch proponent of football being a global unifying force for the good, a force that offers to be inclusive in every which way and a force that has written anti-discrimination on its banner under my presidency, if all of that shall be true, then we simply must learn and walk the walk, not only talk the talk.

What do you mean by that?

JSB: If we maintain, rigidly, the status quo, then a FIFA World Cup can never be played in countries that are south of the equator or indeed near the equator. We automatically discriminate against countries that have different seasons than we do in Europe, and we make it impossible for all those who would love to host the World's Biggest Game in a global tournament to ever get the chance to do so.

I believe that the World Cup should be awarded to a nation that really, really wants to host it, a nation that has the financial means to do it without neglecting other societal obligations, and a nation where the national football federation can determine when it is the best time to play the game. Frankly, if we automatically exclude potential hosts because of the weather, then the next step can easily be exclusion for other arbitrary and discriminatory reasons. I am not going to be party to any such thing....

... but Mr Blatter, your ExCo knew full well, already on December 10, 2010, that a summer World Cup would be impossible to be hosted in Qatar's scorching summer...

JSB:... that may well be so, and it may well be that we made a mistake at the time. On the other hand, you must also consider political and geo-political realities. The World Cup is FIFA's biggest if not only global event. Who are we, the Europeans, to demand that this event has to cater to the needs of 800 million Europeans above all, when there are over 7 billion people who populate this planet and of who 6.2 billion are not European, but who must at all times succumb to our diktat?

I think it is high time that Europe starts to understand that we do not rule the world anymore, and that some former European imperial powers can no longer impress their will on to others in far away places, and we must accept that football has moved away from being a European and South American sport: it has become the World Sport that billions of fans are excitedly following every week, everywhere in the world.

... nonetheless, and your points of anti-discrimination well taken, are there not legal considerations to be taken into account....

JSB: ...wait! What legal considerations? In the Hosting Agreement that we signed on December 20, 2010, we say that the FIFA World Cup is, in principle, "expected to be held in June and July of the year of such Competition".

Furthermore, clauses 7.2.3. and 7.3.3. of the same Hosting Agreement state that the final decision on the dates of the Competition and the match schedule is vested with the FIFA Organising Committee "which may hear the recommendations from the LOC". Last but not least, it is also stated in all clarity that the final authority over any matters relating to the staging and hosting of the World Cup lie with FIFA. Need I point out that the LOC (Local Organising Committee) is obliged to "comply with any instructions given and decisions made by FIFA"? Don't you agree with me that this is pretty clear?

Yes, it is but surely FIFA will have to seek to engage in a democratic process that is accepted by all stakeholders when it makes such a fundamental change?

JSB: Absolutely right. But first, we need to see whether the owner of the FIFA World Cup – FIFA – actually agrees with my recommendation, one that I shall table at the October 3/4 ExCo meeting, and whether it follows my advice to change the dates from summer to winter. Once the Executive Committee of FIFA has agreed to that, we can take the next step...

... which is what?

JSB: The next steps will include a close look at the international calendar and establish what consequences the change would have. And we would naturally need to speak to and consult with all interested parties and stakeholders.

This sounds all very harmonious, if not easy. Do you really think that FIFA can actually make such a dramatic change without major conflict resulting from it?

Russian flag

JSB: Of course I am. And of course it must be harmonious. Where there is a will there is always a way. I know that we can get it done. And the initial exploratory meetings we have already had with some of the most affected leagues show us the way. The Qatar World Cup promises to help unite an unstable region of the world by bringing hope and joy to millions who have suffered for decades. It will show, once again, that football is a force for good – as we have most recently demonstrated by encouraging the Palestinians and Israelis to come to Zurich and start meaningful dialogue towards reaching an historic agreement.

We have no political ambitions, which is why we are not suspect of having a political agenda. All we want is to bring the World Cup to regions where it has never been before, and where football can help make a difference – even for a few weeks. I am a firm believer in the good of the game and what it can generate.

I don't want to burst the beautiful bubble but don't you run the risk that others who lost the bid will see an opportunity to question the Host, question the process and demand a re-vote?

JSB: It is FIFA who can and has the legal right to determine where it wants the World Cup to be played. It is our right and we exercise that right with caution and with a view to be inclusive. FIFA is a great international institution, vested in fair play and respect, not only on the field of play but also beyond. Morally, I am very comfortable because we are also taking the 2018 World Cup to a fantastic country, Russia, that has long deserved to stage a World Cup, and in 2022, we are determined to bring it to the Middle East and help create joy and happiness among the peoples there. I firmly believe that not only can Qatar stage a memorable World Cup, but that the entire region will be totally supportive and happy in its celebration.

Thank you Mr Blatter, we wish you the best of success at your October 3 Board Meeting.

The disappearance of Shinji Kagawa
Posted by Richard Jolly

Jurgen Klopp is one of football's great non-conformists. And so, when everyone was paying glowing tributes to the retiring Sir Alex Ferguson, the Borussia Dortmund coach was alone in displaying a little dissent. The Scot's selection policy irritated the German.

• Duerden: Asia looks to Anfield for Kagawa
• Okwonga: Fellaini could be United's Ambrosini

"Shinji Kagawa is one of the best players in the world and he now plays 20 minutes at Manchester United -- on the left wing," the told the Guardian in May. "My heart breaks. Really, I have tears in my eyes." Three months later, Kagawa doesn't even play 20 minutes for United any more. His entire season amounts to eight minutes on the pitch. This time Klopp's grief brought a different reaction: Dortmund attempted to take the Japanese back to the Westfalenstadion. Their offer was rebuffed.

And so, instead of being cast as the returning hero, Kagawa appears the unwanted cause celebre, growing more conspicuous with every absence from the team-sheet. It is not just in the Ruhr Valley and Japan that his treatment is bemoaned. When United have failed to score in back-to-back games, when they are not creating many chances and when Wayne Rooney, his rival for the No. 10 position, is sidelined, the calls for Kagawa have grown louder.

David Moyes has not heeded them, prompting questions that United's new manager is blind to his attributes. The answer is probably not -- the hints from Old Trafford are that the Scot rates Kagawa and, albeit to a Japanese audience, he spoke positively about the player in July -- but it is easy to see why such theories have arisen.

Ferguson often encouraged an element of mystery about marginalised players. Moyes, unlike his predecessor, has a track record of being reasonably honest in his injury updates and has not taken the easy option of claiming Kagawa was unavailable. Rather the playmaker, deployed briefly in the Community Shield, an unused substitute for United's first two league games and omitted from the 18 for last Sunday's defeat to Liverpool, is apparently neither injured nor match fit.

He has lingered in a state of limbo for weeks. Granted time off after the Confederations Cup, he was rushed back for the pre-season tour of Japan for commercial considerations, and then given another break afterwards. Kagawa travelled to his homeland to face Uruguay three days before the Premier League season opener and, understandably, did not start against Swansea. United's demanding early-season fixture list has limited Moyes' opportunities to experiment and his subsequent selections have been conservative; the tried and trusted have been favoured.

The problem for Kagawa is that the schedule offers little respite and few chances for Moyes, a novice to the art of squad rotation after his years at Everton, to alternate. September brings meetings with Bayer Leverkusen, Manchester City and Liverpool. Before then the Old Trafford clash with Crystal Palace, when Rooney should still be missing, appears the ideal game to stake his case: except it comes four days after Japan host Ghana. If Kagawa is presumed too jetlagged, the current impasse could extend towards October.

It may bode badly that he has remained on the fringes when various other midfielders and forwards -- Rooney, Nani, Ashley Young, Darren Fletcher and Javier Hernandez -- have not been in peak physical condition themselves and before United had signed Marouane Fellaini. Perhaps the most damning detail was that Nani, also apparently semi-fit, was chosen for the final place on the bench at Anfield. Moyes felt the Portuguese was a likelier game-changer than a player who averaged a goal every two-and-a-half games for Dortmund. An equaliser eluded United. The manager lamented that the injured Rooney could have made a difference at Anfield; so, some felt, could the excluded Kagawa.

If omitting a player of his calibre is a new problem for Moyes, so is possessing one of his type. The early indications are the 50-year-old intends to play a similar system at United as he did for Everton. In his 4-4-1-1, the support striker's role at Goodison Park over the last nine years has been shared by Tim Cahill and Fellaini, footballers known more for their physical than technical abilities. The same cannot be said for Kagawa.

Moreover, while Moyes' preferred plan is clearly for Rooney to rampage around between midfield and attack, Danny Welbeck deputised in the hole at Anfield. Once again, power was prioritised over delicacy.

Perhaps the Evertonian who provides the closest comparison with Kagawa, Steven Pienaar, was rebranded as a left-sided midfielder by Moyes -- Klopp's verdict on the conversion of another former Dortmund player is sadly unrecorded -- and while the Scot is yet to settle on a regular on that side, the Japanese's last start for United, in Rio Ferdinand's testimonial against Sevilla, came on the flank.

He played poorly that day. Indeed, Kagawa has admitted he was not satisfied with his form in his debut year at Old Trafford. Too often he had to don a tactical straitjacket to operate on the left. The quest to 'free Shinji' inspired a Twitter campaign but he has not been liberated, either by being given a ticket back to Dortmund or unshackled to operate as Robin van Persie's sidekick.

And so while United felt themselves the winners in the summer-long battle to retain Rooney's services, the loser may not be his suitor, Jose Mourinho, as much as the man chained to the touchline or the bench: Kagawa.

Last edited:
So what does the Man U starting XI look like now when they play their next game?

What it should look like

____________________RVP________________________
______________Kagawa___________________________
Fresh Prince________________________Jermaine Jackson
____________Screech_____Carrick___________________
Evra_____Vidic_____Ferdinand__________________Rafa
________________Van der De Gea___________________

What it will probably look like

____________________RVP________________________
_______________Fresh Prince_______________________
Welsh Wizard_______________________Jermaine Jackson
_____________Screech_____Carrick__________________