The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

International+Champions+Cup+2014+Roma+v+Manchester+NE2jxUxS0_tx.jpg

International+Champions+Cup+2014+Roma+v+Manchester+GGi3Oz94pVwx.jpg

International+Champions+Cup+2014+Roma+v+Manchester+b3-Zucqs3Box.jpg

International+Champions+Cup+2014+Roma+v+Manchester+pgLVUQJb6uVx.jpg

Come on, man.

Coupe, SFC, Figo: Don't hate me. I denounced Ronaldo for yambs. She's Palestinian and the biggest Messi fan you'll meet. Larger than abovelegit, Lio on every wallpaper.
better be some damn good yambs. 

ive always wondered about the teams in your sig.  theyre all so random.  two phiily teams, two from ohio, arizona, and boston bruins? 

Come on, man.

Coupe, SFC, Figo: Don't hate me. I denounced Ronaldo for yambs. She's Palestinian and the biggest Messi fan you'll meet. Larger than abovelegit, Lio on every wallpaper.

I like both Messi and Ronaldo (used to actually hate Ronaldo before). Man, I hate obsessed fans with a passion though. I would've slipped up and started an argument that would've led to no yambs for me :lol:

Come on, man.

I don't give a ****. I'm not that crazy into Portuguese girls.

To each his own.

better be some damn good yambs. 

ive always wondered about the teams in your sig.  theyre all so random.  two phiily teams, two from ohio, arizona, and boston bruins? 
So I'm 26. Whatever teams I watched as kid, I've stuck with out of loyalty.

Arizona Basketball is because of my uncle, professor there. Also grew up on Ohio State Football, always went there for undergrad. My second choice, opted to remain in-state.

Certain players I gravitated to. Eagles because of McNabb, Sixers because of Iverson, Indians because of the '97 World Series.

I'm a "newer" serious hockey fan. Stuck with the B's because of Looch mostly. Still learning the game from DSA and the other NT hockey regulars.

I like both Messi and Ronaldo (used to actually hate Ronaldo before). Man, I hate obsessed fans with a passion though. I would've slipped up and started an argument that would've led to no yambs for me :lol:
That's what attracted me to her. One minute debating if LeBron is better than Kobe or Ronnie over Lio, knocking boots the next.

I don't give a ****. I'm not that crazy into Portuguese girls.

To each his own.
What you usually go for? Thing I love about NYC, diversity.

Word is that Remy won't be going to Liverpool, he failed his medical.
Edit- I hear that it's a heart issue

Last edited:
Arsenal to sign David Ospina from Nice
David Ospina will join Arsenal Football Club on a long-term contract for an undisclosed fee.
The 25-year-old goalkeeper had an impressive World Cup with Colombia, helping his country to the quarter finals in Brazil with a series of fine displays.
He arrives at Emirates Stadium from French side Nice, where he made 189 Ligue 1 appearances during a six-year spell.
David is an excellent goalkeeper, with good experience and a proven record of performing with Nice and Colombia
Arsène Wenger
Ospina began his career with Atletico Nacional in Colombia’s Categoria Primera A league, aged just 17. An experienced international, he currently has 49 caps for his country.
Arsène Wenger said of the club’s new signing: “David Ospina is an excellent goalkeeper, with good experience and a proven record of performing with Nice and Colombia. He will add strength to our squad and we are very pleased that he will be joining us."
It is expected Ospina will make his first Arsenal appearance at the Emirates Cup, which takes place at Emirates Stadium on Saturday, August 2 and Sunday, August 3.
Ospina’s Arsenal squad number will be revealed soon through Arsenal’s official Instagram account.
Everyone at Arsenal would like to welcome David to the Club.
The transfer is subject to the completion of regulatory processes.
Copyright 2014 The Arsenal Football Club plc. Permission to use quotations from this article is granted subject to appropriate credit being given to www.arsenal.com as the source

@MessiMinutes Of course, it is Jon CHAMPION, not Motson, commentating here. Says that Forsythe joined the Arsenal medical team yesterday.

@****_Marin_ Según informa @RobertoRamajo hay acuerdo entre la #RealSociedad y el #Atleti por Griezmann en €30 millones. Espero confirmación para opinar.

Last edited:
Trialist Mladen Micanovic: "Today I'll go back to Serbia, continue to train with Javor and wait for the outcome of negotiations between the two clubs.“

Did you end up going to the game? Heard it was a **** show. People missing almost the entire first half becuase the amount people that went and that the stadium wasn't prepared for such a large crowd. Alot of women had to check their bags becuase it was too big and the shuttle from Bart to the stadium was horrible. 62,000 attendance, impressive. But probably half the people there still thought all the big names were going to play. I'm so glad I didn't get tickets the day it released since theyre playing just three weeks after the World Cup. Curious the see what the attendance will be tonight for atletico and the earthquakes. I'm thinking 20k.

Last edited:
Word is PSG will indeed acquire di Maria & is now considering selling Cavani to ease FFP concerns...

If Remy did indeed fail his physical, Cavani to Liverpool?!?!?

He didn't travel with the team when they left for Asia a couple of days ago.

Word is PSG will indeed acquire di Maria & is now considering selling Cavani to ease FFP concerns...

If Remy did indeed fail his physical, Cavani to Liverpool?!?!?

He didn't travel with the team when they left for Asia a couple of days ago.

I thought it was gonna be loan due to FFP. But I guess whatever works. At this point they should just sell Pastore.

I read that Cavani has a virus and will meet up with PSG after he's cleared....but who knows

A new reinforcement for Simeone: Atletico Madrid have reached agreement with Zenit for the acquisition on Ansaldi. The player will arrive in Madrid today and will take the medical tomorrow. He joins on a permanent move.

Italian Football Federation vice-chief Carlo Tavecchio in racism row
• Tavecchio refers to African players as ‘banana eaters’
• Remains favourite to become next Italian football president
Share 81

inShare
Email
Reuters
theguardian.com, Sunday 27 July 2014 09.03 EDT
Lazio
Lazio fans watch the Italian Cup final against AS Roma at the Olympic stadium in Rome. Photograph: Alessandro Bianchi/Reuters
Carlo Tavecchio, the favourite to become the next Italian Football Federation (FIGC) president, has been caught up in a racism row after referring to African players as “banana eaters”.

The influx of foreign players into Italy has been a hot topic since the national team crashed out of the World Cup in the group stage and the 71-year-old Tavecchio suggested Italy should replicate England’s stringent requirements for non-EU players.

“In England, they identify the players coming in and, if they are professional, they are allowed to play,” Tavecchio said at the summer assembly of Italy’s amateur leagues (LND).

“Here instead we get Opti Pobà, who previously ate bananas and then suddenly becomes a first-team player with Lazio. That’s how it is here. In England, you need to demonstrate what you have on your CV and your pedigree.”

Questioned by reporters about the comments afterwards, Tavecchio claimed that he could not remember what he had said in his own speech.

“I can’t remember if I said the word ‘banana’ but I was referring to the CV and professionalism required by English football for players who come from Africa or other countries,” he said. “If anyone has interpreted my speech as offensive, I offer my apologies.”

Tavecchio, who is head of the LND, faced serious criticism in Italy after the remarks, with the centre-left Democratic party coming out strongest following a wave of negative reaction from fans on social media.

“Tavecchio would do well to remember that words, especially when said by people who have important roles in institutions, have both weight and consequences,” said Cécile Kyenge, a Congo-born European MP and Italy’s former minister of integration.

“It’s sad, it seems as though he lost the sense of what he wanted to say, his ability to analyse what he was saying and the effect of what certain phrases can have on others,” she added. “Those in positions of power should remember their role of educator and pay attention to what they’re saying.”

Others from her party also weighed in on Tavecchio, with MP Davide Faraone saying that he couldn’t guide the FIGC in light of the increasingly severe measures dished out to fans for racist abuse, which is still a problem in Italian stadiums.

Last season several clubs had the areas where the hardcore “ultra” fans stand closed following racist chanting, with repeat offenders being forced to play matches behind closed doors.

“Tavecchio cannot be FIGC president,” said Faraone. “Curvas and entire stadiums have been closed for similar words. He wouldn’t have any credibility.”

President of the Italian Footballers’ Association (AIC) Damiano Tommasi also denounced Tavecchio, saying that he had received numerous complaints from incredulous players.

“I am disconcerted by Tavecchio’s comments on bananas and Opti Pobà. I don’t know whether to be even more shocked by the silence that surrounded them,” Tommasi told the Ansa news agency.

“I have received a number of phone calls of protest from Italian and foreign players who are just astounded by this.”

Tavecchio is expected to beat the former AC Milan and Italy midfielder Demetrio Albertini to the top job in the 11 Aug vote. The pair are both currently the vice-presidents of the FIGC.

The battle for control of Italian soccer’s governing body comes after the resignation of the former president Giancarlo Abete, who stepped down immediately after Italy’s embarrassing early exit from the World Cup.

'Getting beyond a joke and our worst nightmare' - Saints fan pens open letter to Southampton FC's board

1:30pm Sunday 27th July 2014 in SportDaily Echo: Ronald Koeman - only as good as the players at his disposal
Ronald Koeman - only as good as the players at his disposal
SAINTS supporter Mark Saunders admits the current situation surrounding his club is “getting beyond a joke” and turning into every fan’s “worst nightmare.”

The lifelong supporter has written an open letter to the board of Southampton Football Club, which the Daily Echo prints in full here ....

It is with great sadness that I write this letter, but it is the only way I can think of to vent both my frustration and anger at the way my beloved Southampton is being torn apart.

It was not too long ago I was looking forward to another season in the Premier League and even quietly optimistic of seeing Saints build on a fantastic 2013/14 season.

However, even the most pessimistic fan could not have predicted what was going to happen.

Yes, most fans expected to see a couple of faces leave the club, but it is now getting beyond a joke.

What is frustrating is that most people could see that with a tiny bit of investment this great club of ours could have been competing for a trophy and even a European place, even if it was the Europa League. After achieving so much last season, the great fans of Southampton should have been looking forward to a bright future, but then Pochettino left and the alarm bells started to ring.

Before we could even start looking forward to next season, players started to be linked with this and that club.

Foolishly I, like many other Saints fans, believed that Les Reed would soon put a halt to this speculation, but sadly no, the mass exodus started!

Shaw, Lambert, Lallana, Lovren, and now Chambers! Okay, we managed to replace Pochettino with Dutch legend Ronald Koeman, but not even his appointment could stop our star players leaving.

Koeman was quoted as saying that any player leaving would be replaced with equal to or better players.....we've managed to sign just two.

Other clubs seem to be linked with a player, and then a couple of days later said player is wearing the shirt.

Not Southampton, though, we are linked with a player and that's where it ends.

I'm starting to worry that it's the clubs intention to replace the likes of Shaw, Lambert, Chambers Lallana and Lovren with academy players. Yes one, possibly two young players gradually integrated into the team over time will work, but to chuck more than that straight into the first team is asking for trouble, especially in the Premier League.

With the risk of sounding cynical, I even wonder if the club's decision to return to red and white stripes was just an effort to deflect the fans' attention away from the subject of transfers?

Instead of looking forward to next season with optimism, I find my myself worrying about whether or not we will even have a team good enough to stay in the league. Where there is no doubting Koeman's credentials as a top class manager, he is only as good as the players that he has at his disposal.

The reason why Saints did so well last season was that the team was settled, knew each others’ strengths and seemed to be united in their effort to achieve their goals.

I really hope I'm proved wrong and we have another fantastic season, but at this moment in time I doubt that.

I was born in Southampton and have been a Saints fan for as long as I can remember, and that will not change irrespective of who plays for the club or which league we are in. It's just a shame that the we were so close to realising Markus Liebherr's dream, only for things to quickly turn in to every fan’s worst nightmare.

Forever a Saints fan Mark Saunders. Gloucestershire.

yeah man, wtf is southhampton doing? they must believe in their great youth system or something

Back
Top Bottom