The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

It'll work. Just get some Hispanic/Latin American players on the team.

Plus south Florida is filled with Haitians, Jamaicans, columbians, etc who love football.

Throw in a big name European star trying to get a payday at the end of his career...like say a Chicharito and you'll get plenty of interest.

Especially if you get a 40k seat stadium in downtown Miami...it'll work.

I don't think the Miami franchise will work. I've said this before. It's a stupid idea by Becks. Maybe he just wants to live in South Beach, idk.

Orlando will be good tho.
MLS gonna give Orlando one eventually anyway...they just doing this to see if it works in the Miami market and im sure Becks just there cuz its Miami, he wouldnt be involved if the new team was gonna be in Wichita or something
laugh.gif
MLS gave Orlando a franchise like a month ago I thought?

I don't think the Miami franchise will work. I've said this before. It's a stupid idea by Becks. Maybe he just wants to live in South Beach, idk.

MLS gonna give Orlando one eventually anyway...they just doing this to see if it works in the Miami market and im sure Becks just there cuz its Miami, he wouldnt be involved if the new team was gonna be in Wichita or something :lol:
my fault , ur right i was talking bout Orlando is eventually gonna be playing in the MLS at some point...i think 2015

Last edited:

Plus south Florida is filled with Haitians, Jamaicans, columbians, etc who love football.

Throw in a big name European star trying to get a payday at the end of his career...like say a Chicharito and you'll get plenty of interest.

That's what the North American Soccer League said for 15 years.

That's what the Marlins and there lawyers said to the people of South Florida after they voted not to fund the stadium.

MLS gonna give Orlando one eventually anyway...they just doing this to see if it works in the Miami market and im sure Becks just there cuz its Miami, he wouldnt be involved if the new team was gonna be in Wichita or something
laugh.gif
my fault , ur right i was talking bout Orlando is eventually gonna be playing in the MLS at some point...i think 2015
Ya, I think 2015 is the target season/year to kick off that franchise.

When is Miami slated to begin?

that's the first thing I thought of when I heard about this. I figured it could work since there was a football loving population out there.

I'm a little perplexed as to why they even had the presser. Aside from saying they will indeed start a franchise & try to build the stadium with private money in the downtown area, they didn't provide any other details like team name, colors, etc. You would think they'd have at least that. Although the pics posted in here show the Becks contingent wearing turquoise, black, & white scarves. NYCFC at least had that...

Last edited:
The only reason they had the presser was because Becks had exercised his option to buy an MLS franchise and chose Miami. I'm sure he and his team wanted to assure the city they were making the necessary moves to bring the franchise to the city ASAP. With no clear cut plan or strategy i'm very pessimistic about this franchise succeeding. NASL, MLS teams failed and Pro Teams in the 4 major sports STRUGGLE with attendances. Good luck to them, but I can't see this ending well.

Real talk, I love the MLS and the that fact that it is a domestic product that is growing (albeit slowly), and try to support it whenever I'm in LA.

But I have no idea how it is financially successful. Like, with how the whole TV deal went down with FOX and how little money is in that.

I just don't see it. Sure there are some great MLS clubs that have fantastic attendance, but for every Portland Timbers, Sounders, Impact, Sporting KC, there is a DC United, Chivas, New England Revolution. And then there are the big market teams that aren't as successful as the really should be like my beloved LA Galaxy or NY Red Bulls and Chicago Fire. I know there is revenue sharing and all that but between the not so stellar across the board attendance numbers, small TV contract, the revenue pie cannot be that big to ensure league wide profitability right? What could I be missing?

Last edited:

That's what the North American Soccer League said for 15 years.

That's what the Marlins and there lawyers said to the people of South Florida after they voted not to fund the stadium.

You can't compare the NASL to MLS. Different time, MLS is much bigger. And soccer is much bigger in the US now. And is only going to get bigger now. Soccer is maybe the fastest growing sport in the US in terms of popularity. EPL is responsible for much of that, but still. It's growing in the US.

You're not thinking progressively. It's not about what happened in the past, it's about what's happening now and what's happening in the future. Which is soccer getting bigger in the states.

Also as a Marlns fan...the Marlins are a joke. The owner is a joke. The stadium is a joke. The local government is corrupt and that's how they got that joke of a stadium in the 1st place.

Taxpayers voted against the stadium because they didn't want to pay for it, not because they don't support the Marlins. And of course as soon as Loria conned his way into the new stadium he dismantled the team and sold off all of the Marlins good players. Scumbag :smh:

Real talk, I love the MLS and that fact that it is a domestic product that is growing (albeit slowly), and try to support it whenever I'm in LA.

But I have no idea how it is financially successful. Like, with how the whole TV deal went down with FOX and how little money is in that.

I just don't see it. Sure there are some great MLS clubs that have fantastic attendance, but for every Portland Timbers, Sounders, Impact, Sporting KC, there is a DC United, Chivas, New England Revolution. And then there are the big market teams that aren't as successful as the really should be like my beloved LA Galaxy or NY Red Bulls and Chicago Fire. I know there is revenue sharing and all that but between the not so stellar across the board attendance numbers, small TV contract, the revenue pie cannot be that big to ensure league wide profitability right? What could I be missing?

People forget the MLS is barely 20 years old. Where was the NFL, or MLB, or NBA 20 years in? Nowhere near what they are today.

Sports leagues take time to grow. Not sure what people expect out of the MLS so early in its existence. EPL, La Liga, Serie A, etc have been around over a century.

In may the MLS was ranked the 7th best league in the world.

BIh0RtLCAAE2o6U.jpg:large

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/...he-world-by-Sporting-Intelligence.html?pg=all

2 decades in and it's already ranked ahead of leagues that have been around a century.

Just be patient. MLS isn't going to become the EPL overnight. But it's gonna continue to grow.

that's the first thing I thought of when I heard about this. I figured it could work since there was a football loving population out there.

All those Haitians and Jamaicans end up having kids and their first generation children end up falling in love with American Football.

A franchise cannot be successful if their target market is immigrants, it's impossible. Cubans love baseball, Miami is filled with them, you'll be lucky to get 10k people at the Marlins game. You need the middle-high class and those folks are more concerned with the Dolphins or the Heat - and still they don't sell out lol. South. Florida is a **** show. It's unlike any other place in the states.

Miami team set to begin 2017, maybe 2016 according to what I've read.

People don't go to marlins games cause of the owner.

Soccer is growing very popular here. Solid turn out for the ICC final last year and hosting the it again this year. I think soccer in Miami could work.

the marlins thought they could exploit the local population as well.. we all know how that worked out.. and baseball is a far bigger sport in american than soccer.. but only time will tell.. still wish my dude becks the best.. although he should have chosen red as his color :pimp:

@Fear The Ibis  

I definitely get the immense growth and leaps and bounds the MLS has made since it's inception (while acknowledging the many more leaps and bounds it still must make 
laugh.gif
)

But I was just wondering how they are financially successful. With player salaries rising, seemingly every other team needing to build a new soccer specific stadiums, and IMO stagnant TV deal and attendance growth; I worry that the league isn't making enough money to be able to raise the salary caps and attract more international talent.

Last edited:
Miami team set to begin 2017, maybe 2016 according to what I've read.

People don't go to marlins games cause of the owner.

Soccer is growing very popular here. Solid turn out for the ICC final last year and hosting the it again this year. I think soccer in Miami could work.

So that's the only reason people don't go to Marlins games? Lol really.

They don't go because they don't care. They didn't care when the Marlins were winning championships either.

This isn't "MLS" hate or whatever, I like what they're doing I just don't think it works in Miami. Not even with Becks face on the project. I guess get at me in 2030 ? We'll know by then.

We all know how miami fans are. If you suck, they wont bother. If your decent but have no star players, they wont bother. Thats the risk beckham and his partners are taking.

From what I've read, Becks already has star players in europe already lined up for when they begin in 2017. Even if he starts off with guys like Lampard that'll be nice but not nearly enough. Theirs rumors he has talked to players like Cristiano and Ibra to once they are finished with their current contracts to make that move over here.

Now imagine ibra or cristiano along with other stars...miami will flock to the games.

Thats the risk they are taking. Beckhams pull for other superstars and he has the pull.

Yeah. Miami fans don't go to games....Heat where top 3 in attendance last year.

The dolphins suck and they play in a garbage stadium 40 min from downtown with terrible parking and traffic. That's why nobody goes. Before the Marlins got the new stadium they played in that same crappy stadium with the same issues. Now nobody likes them because they suck and they screwed over all the Miami taxpayers. That's why nobody goes.

You get a team that's actually good, and that has a good stadium/atmosphere in the heart of Miami and fans will come.

What? Why did you bring the heat up? Ofcourse they sellout because they're actually good. Thats my point.

If you field a team with 2 elite superstars in lebron/wade you're going to sellout. Thats what Beckham needs to do. Get superstar players to come to miami and win often so the buzz spreads all over the city.

Phins, miami hurricans, marlins, etc they all sorta suck. All miami has to be proud of is the heat. Thats what Becks needs to avoid becoming.

All those Haitians and Jamaicans end up having kids and their first generation children end up falling in love with American Football.

A franchise cannot be successful if their target market is immigrants, it's impossible. Cubans love baseball, Miami is filled with them, you'll be lucky to get 10k people at the Marlins game. You need the middle-high class and those folks are more concerned with the Dolphins or the Heat - and still they don't sell out lol. South. Florida is a **** show. It's unlike any other place in the states.
yep

Miami support sucks.....you gotta be dominate to even spark interest down there.....no such thing as fan loyalty because the whole damn city is a bandwagon

Idk if he meant elite as in comparison to European clubs, I didn't take it that way. I think it will be elite in comparison to it's current state by far. We have coaches that have been studying in Europe for the last year or so. Major changes at the youth level. We have an abundance of youth players in academies such as: West Ham, Stoke, Chelsea, City, Liverpool, Dortmund, Atletico, Lorient, Dinamo Zagreb, and a handful of players in Germany and Norway. We are producing more talent. I remember JK recently, in terms of US Soccer as a while [the exploitation's are there]. I think by 2025 we will see a major difference. Americans are attracting interest more than ever, that says a lot in the direction in which we're heading. I think in 10 years we will see a major developmental difference.

Edit: I misread it the first time, early morning mistake, I didn't see that he put league at the end....kinda changes things.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom