The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

How come it feels like I haven't watched club football in years?
frown.gif

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

How come it feels like I haven't watched club football in years?
frown.gif

Much needed on my end after that pos display at WHL. I will admit though no Arsenal or Huskies football (bye week) left me a little lost in terms of what to look forward to this past weekend.

Vermaerlen and Diaby were scheduled to come back from injury after this international break so hopefully that will shore up our midfield and backline.

[h3]
[h3]Ryan Giggs wins Golden Foot award

[/h3]
Manchester United legend Ryan Giggs paid tribute to his manager Sir Alex Ferguson after picking up the prestigious Golden Foot award for 2011.

Giggs was named the winner after a record number of votes were cast on the competition's website and he flew in to Monaco to attend Monday night's Golden Foot ceremony.

Giggs received the trophy from Prince Albert II of Monaco, and then said he had been "fortunate to play for the greatest manager" in football.

"He's hard but fair. He demands a lot from his players as he does from himself," Giggs was quoted by ManUtd.com as saying.

"He is the best manager and it's great to have had him there throughout my career."

A permanent mould of Giggs' footprints will now be place on Monte Carlo's 'Champions Promenade' alongside that of previous winners which include legends Roberto Baggio as well as Ronaldo from Brazil.

"It's a great honour to win such an award and to have my footprints alongside some of the greatest football players is a real privilege," Giggs said.

"I have been fortunate to play alongside great players, play for the greatest manager and play for the best club in the world. At the moment I am still enjoying my football so I have not thought about what I will do when I finish, but if it all finished tomorrow I could say that I have had a fantastic career and wouldn't swap it with anybody."

According to the Golden Foot website, the annual award honours footballers aged 29 or over who "stand out for their sport results (both as single players and with their team), for their personality and for the esteem of the public and football experts."

Previous winners include Francesco Totti (2010), Ronaldinho (2009), Roberto Carlos (2008), Alessandro Del Piero (2007), Ronaldo (2006), Andriy Shevchenko (2005), Pavel Nedved (2004) and Roberto Baggio (2003).
[/h3]     

Well idk how many of you care for the Brasil vs Mexico friendly but its pretty good thus far.

brazil squad is so frustrating to watch right now. alot like USA: new coach trying to implement a new approach, ditching their predecessors defense/counter attack minded football. both squads are replacing established players with younger talent, but the result can be frustrating (aka no goddamn goals)

oh well. its a learning process.

eek.gif
at how quickly this game turned.

I know it's just a friendly but this can't be good for Mexico's confidence. They were up 1-0 on a 10 man Brazil, missed a penalty, then conceded two.

Not inspiring for a team looking to establish itself as world class.

Ronaldinho
pimp.gif

Marcelo was livid earlier in the game too
laugh.gif
Thought he was going to get carded.

Marcelo's celebration was wild
pimp.gif

You can see Ronaldinho isn't the same as he was in his peak. But he's got that undeniable ability to change a game with one pass, one free kick. He played rather deep, and was more of a distributor.

Although at the end he really out in effort I felt - they didn't want to lose to Mexico and he doesn't want to lose his place with the NT.

It's hard to say if he'll make the Olympics let alone WC in Rio.. but for now I think he's definitely a squad member whether that entails starting or coming off the bench.

I have a feeling that Mano won't make it to the WC..

Back
Top Bottom