The Ultimate Soccer Thread 2011-2012. VOL 2 (EPL,LFP, SERIE A, BUND, ETC.)

Barça up 2-0 at the half in the FIFA Club World Cup Semi with Adriano scoring the goals. Villa went out with a left leg injury. Doesn't look good for him. Hope it's nothing serious.

indifferent.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Damn shame. Hard luck for Barca, though they should be able to manage with Sanchez/Cesc/Pedro/Cuenca. 6 month recovery time could affect David's Euro campaign as well. Tough one to swallow seeing as how they could've sent the actual B team out there for this one, and still gotten the result. 

Villa's injury might end up hurting Spain more than it hurts Barca, if in fact he takes six months to recover. Might be one of those situations where he's not quite ready but is trotted out anyway.

Santos v. Barca though.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by trunks206

Originally Posted by Xtapolapacetl

Originally Posted by trunks206

12/18 @ City
1/22 Home to United

2/26  Home to Spurs

3/3 @ Liverpool

4/7 Home to City

4/21 Home to Chelsea 

So after this weekend we will have gotten all but one tough away trip vs the top 6 out of the way and if you think that with over half the season left and all the top 4 needing to come to the Emirates that a 6 or7 point lead is too much to make up then I dont know what to tell you.

With the run we are on with this current team if they can stay fit *touch wood*  add a quality addition or two in January (we'll lose Gervinho and Chamakh for the ACON) plus come the end of January we should have Wilshere and Sagna back then if we are in touching distance at that time I wouldn't count us out.

I'll believe we've got a chance until we are mathematically out of if...hell nobody thought we'd be where we are now so who knows where we'll be at the end of the season.

I don't know if I should congratulate you on your positivity or or laugh at your delusions.

^ I think it's a 14 hour time difference here, so it's a 15 hour time difference for Central Time, so it would be 4:30AM your time.

frown.gif
oh well, ill find highlights somewhere

at least villa's leg injury wasnt as bad as valencia's that was UGLY you wouldnt even know villa broke anything after seeing the video of the injury

Originally Posted by IMASOLEMAN18

frown.gif
oh well, ill find highlights somewhere

at least villa's leg injury wasnt as bad as valencia's that was UGLY you wouldnt even know villa broke anything after seeing the video of the injury
he broke his tibia... screw what it looks like, that's pretty much as bad as it gets when ligaments aren't involved.

Donovan going back to Everton for another Jan/Feb loan.

Hope they find a way to make it permanent.

Knockout stage draw

Lyon - Apoel
Napoli - Chelsea
AC Milan - Arsenal
Basel - Bayern Munich

Leverkusen - Barcelona
CSKA Moscow - Real Madrid
Zenit - Benfica
Olym. Marseille - Inter

Some good games, some potentially terrible games. Hope Arsenal stays healthy up to this match up, they'll need to.

Tough draw for the London clubs, especially Arsenal who have had horrible luck with these draws the past few years. Can't say I'm complaining though, two excellent match ups
pimp.gif

I'd note that Arsenal have a big advantage in the wide areas in their match up, as Milan regularly get punished by pace on the wings. Milan is the stronger side on paper though, so it should be a great one to kick off the KO stages.

Barcelona has once again been given a bye through to the quarters. Real Madrid and Benfica won't have it so easy, as they usually don't play in conditions as cold as the one's in Russia. AC Milan v. Arsenal is really interesting, as I feel right now these teams are pretty even. If Chelsea don't keep on picking up form, we can easily lose to Napoli.

Originally Posted by r9brockburst

Barcelona has once again been given a bye through to the quarters.
I suppose Arsenal last season was a bye?

Why do people whine about random draws? Rather puzzling.

The draw for the last-16 of the Champions League has taken place and Chelsea have been drawn against Napoli, while AC Milan were paired with Arsenal.
[h4]First games to be played on Feb 14-15, 21-22[/h4][table][tr][td] Lyon [/td][td]v[/td][td] APOEL Nicosia [/td][/tr][tr][td] Napoli [/td][td]v[/td][td] Chelsea [/td][/tr][tr][td] AC Milan [/td][td]v[/td][td] Arsenal [/td][/tr][tr][td] FC Basel [/td][td]v[/td][td] Bayern Munich [/td][/tr][tr][td] Bayer Leverkusen [/td][td]v[/td][td] Barcelona [/td][/tr][tr][td] CSKA Moscow [/td][td]v[/td][td] Real Madrid [/td][/tr][tr][td] Zenit St Peterburg [/td][td]v[/td][td] Benfica [/td][/tr][tr][td] Marseille [/td][td]v[/td][td] Inter Milan [/td][/tr][/table]

The draw for the last-32 of the Europa League has tied Manchester City with last year's winners FC Porto while Manchester United will play Dutch club Ajax Amsterdam.

[h4]Games to be played on Feb 16 and 23[/h4][table][tr][td] FC Porto [/td][td]v[/td][td] Manchester City [/td][/tr][tr][td] Ajax [/td][td]v[/td][td] Manchester United [/td][/tr][tr][td] Lokomotiv Moscow [/td][td]v[/td][td] Athletic Bilbao [/td][/tr][tr][td] FC Salzburg [/td][td]v[/td][td] Metalist Kharkiv [/td][/tr][tr][td] Stoke City [/td][td]v[/td][td] Valencia [/td][/tr][tr][td] Rubin Kazan [/td][td]v[/td][td] Olympiakos [/td][/tr][tr][td] AZ Alkmaar [/td][td]v[/td][td] Anderlecht [/td][/tr][tr][td] Lazio [/td][td]v[/td][td] Atletico Madrid [/td][/tr][tr][td] Steaua Bucharest [/td][td]v[/td][td] FC Twente [/td][/tr][tr][td] Viktoria Plzen [/td][td]v[/td][td] Schalke [/td][/tr][tr][td] Wisla Krakow [/td][td]v[/td][td] Standard Liege [/td][/tr][tr][td] SC Braga [/td][td]v[/td][td] Besiktas [/td][/tr][tr][td] Udinese [/td][td]v[/td][td] PAOK Salonika [/td][/tr][tr][td] Trabzonspor [/td][td]v[/td][td] PSV Eindhoven [/td][/tr][tr][td] Hannover [/td][td]v[/td][td] Club Brugge [/td][/tr][tr][td] Legia Warsaw [/td][td]v[/td][td] Sporting Lisbon [/td][/tr][/table]

[h4]Games to be played on March 8 and 15[/h4][table][tr][td] FC Salzburg or Metalist Kharkiv [/td][td]v[/td][td] Rubin Kazan or Olympiakos [/td][/tr][tr][td] Legia Warsaw or Sporting [/td][td]v[/td][td] Porto or Manchester City [/td][/tr][tr][td] Steaua Bucharest or FC Twente [/td][td]v[/td][td] Viktoria Plzen or Schalke [/td][/tr][tr][td] Wisla Krakow or Standard Liege [/td][td]v[/td][td] Hannover v Club Brugge [/td][/tr][tr][td] Stoke v Valencia [/td][td]v[/td][td] Trabzonspor v PSV Eindhoven [/td][/tr][tr][td] AZ Alkmaar v Anderlecht [/td][td]v[/td][td] Udinese or PAOK [/td][/tr][tr][td] Lazio or Atletico Madrid [/td][td]v[/td][td] SC Braga or Besiktas [/td][/tr][tr][td] Ajax or Manchester United [/td][td]v[/td][td] Lokomotiv Moscow or Athletic Bilbao [/td][/tr][/table]

Even if Barca has a bye, why shouldn't they, and why wouldn't you want them to? I certainly don't want to see Barca play another great team in the first knockout round. It's always unavoidable to some extent that good teams are matched up early in tournaments stacked with power, but if any team has earned a "bye" it's Barca.

Dream final is definitely Barca v. Madrid. Especially if Madrid gets a result at Camp Nou at the end of the season.

I'd settle for any combo of Barca/Madrid/Milan/Bayern though. Don't think any other team is really CL final worthy right now.

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I'd settle for any combo of Barca/Madrid/Milan/Bayern though. Don't think any other team is really CL final worthy right now.
A Milan side that trails Juve and Udinese is more "CL final worthy" than another club? If you say so.

Anyway, Barca has enough quality to see them through, but this is not a bye by any means. They have a lot of quality in the side, and with Andre Schurrle and Sidney Sam, they are quite able to hit on the counter, and they will always be organized at the back.

Pretty much all of the fixtures should be interesting to view, and obviously the matchups with the two London clubs will most likely be the most interesting.

Originally Posted by hugebird

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

A Milan side that trails Juve and Udinese is more "CL final worthy" than another club? If you say so.

Anyway, Barca has enough quality to see them through, but this is not a bye by any means. They have a lot of quality in the side, and with Andre Schurrle and Sidney Sam, they are quite able to hit on the counter, and they will always be organized at the back.

Pretty much all of the fixtures should be interesting to view, and obviously the matchups with the two London clubs will most likely be the most interesting.
The same Milan squad that went toe to toe with Barca twice. You can't just equate league performance with CL chances. Not that simple, especially with a team like Milan that some would say is built for the CL. 

Back
Top Bottom