The use of ***** in Music... What's your honest thoughts?

Shouldn't be used

but I don't think the word should be used period

It's not a term of endearment.
The power hasn't been taken away

Linguistically we(African Americans) use the word for different reasons. Its a part of the culture. All of African American communities I've been in across the country have used the word in a wide array of meaning from a term of endearment to contempt. I understand that there are people that are uncomfortable with the use of the word but that's their business and is not reflective of the people of that culture. If others want to appropriate the term then fine but if someone is offended by it and wants to check it then they better be ready to back it up. The same can be said about many culture staples across the country but people love to be hung up on the word like its ground changing. Its just a word with bad history that got flipped like many other things in history. I personally love the word. Like Paul Mooney said "it keeps my teeth white".

Linguistically we(African Americans) use the word for different reasons. Its a part of the culture. All of African American communities I've been in across the country have used the word in a wide array of meaning from a term of endearment to contempt. I understand that there are people that are uncomfortable with the use of the word but that's their business and is not reflective of the people of that culture. If others want to appropriate the term then fine but if someone is offended by it and wants to check it then they better be ready to back it up. The same can be said about many culture staples across the country but people love to be hung up on the word like its ground changing. Its just a word with bad history that got flipped like many other things in history. I personally love the word. Like Paul Mooney said "it keeps my teeth white".

Ja0ZQ.gif

Question for OP, did this come from the latest events at the Kendrick show?

Question for OP, did this come from the latest events at the Kendrick show?

Sorry for the delay... actually it’s a topic I’ve been researching for a few months now. It just so happen that recent events ie: Kendrick show and Freaky Friday song, is bringing this topic more to light. Please fine folks participate in my survey if you can!

I don't care. That said if you're an artist and you chose to use it in your music I think its hypocritical to say who can and can't say it while reciting your lyrics. My opinion.

It's an ignorant term and hip hop to some degree embraces ignorance and not giving a F. I don't see why the fans that make albums go platinum can't recite the lyrics they supported. You could also argue why would someone want to replicate ignorance... But that's another topic.

The N word is fine to be used by the very people it was used against as a form of oppressions and bondage. Not the oppressors or anyone else that wasn't oppressed. Period.

Back
Top Bottom