The Weeknd Thread ( "Hurry Up Tomorrow" Coming Soon)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 39 41.5%
  • Thursday

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.4%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • Dawn FM

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So he didn't perform anything from Kissland?
Nah man 
frown.gif

I think this beauty behind the madness thing may be a scheme. Hear me out.

Back in 2011, none of us in this thread would have predicted he's have made it to the forefront of music like he has. His sound was way too dark for mainstream airplay. It's a miracle they were able to get Wicked Games (of all songs) the amount of air time that it got. None the less, he slowly but surely got the attention of the public. Now in the post-Kiss Land/Love me harder/Earned it era, we get this article where he practically says he's going to chase this lime light. That, to his day one fans, seems like madness. But... what if the plan is to grab hold of the mainstream with all this ICFMF stuff, and on the next album take them down to dance with the devil? I'm sure all of us would still enjoy hearing an lp with HoB-esque material. Admittedly, I don't know what purpose that would serve (other than him saying he did it), but it's a thought.

I'm sure we'll get more and more upbeat music from him. I have a feeling he'll juggle both sounds though.

I mean for all we know, ICFMF could be the Wanderlust of this album in the sense that it's the most upbeat track on there. Kiss Land isn't bad. It's just that there's no bangers on there. It's great music, but it just doesn't have that go to factor that the trilogy has. Only song that really really bangs on KL, for me, is the second half of the title track.

Whether or not that could be the case, it's definitely a formula he's going to be using until it isn't successful.

I mean for all we know, ICFMF could be the Wanderlust of this album in the sense that it's the most upbeat track on there. Kiss Land isn't bad. It's just that there's no bangers on there. It's great music, but it just doesn't have that go to factor that the trilogy has. Only song that really really bangs on KL, for me, is the second half of the title track.

THIS.

While KL was an enjoyable album, there wasn't anything WOWing me. I think I was too WOWed by HoB. The whole experience in 2011 of waiting for his music to drop was great. Going from only have 9 songs to 27 songs to listen to by the year's end really let you absorb and analyze the whole story. We didn't get The Trilogy all at once.

I felt like KL was a wow factor. It DID TAKE ME a LONG TIME to realize it for myself though

These new tracks are great don't get me wrong, but they're not WOW outside of Hills

Last edited:
All the mom listening to the Young GAWD talk has me CRYING! :rofl:

KL is somewhat started for me. Pretty had me in my feelings at the time over a PYT...but then moved on from her and went and bought The Trilogy and the first night we hooked up (different girl) she was all about Wicked Games and Coming Down....good times sorry went down memory lane.

But anyways KL is GREAT if your in that dark I don't care for the world mood.The transition into each song is just....just CRAZY!

Kiss Land was cinematic. A lot of albums miss that component these days. It surprises me he's not proud of that album.

Last edited:
Welp clearly the god has moved on from KL, hopefully you simps follow suit :rofl:

On the real tho never got why y'all liked that album. Adaptation & belong to the world were the only worthy cuts.

Last edited:
When I first popped in KL, I played Professional 3 times before listening to The Town. Had me like :x :x

KL goat b.

Kissland is fire to me.

Adapation (prob my fav song from the weeknd.)

Tears in the rain

Belong to the world

and more since i'm drunk right now and can't think
laugh.gif

i continue to defend kiss land as the best compilation of music ive ever heard , its unfair to compare it to the trilogy because trilogy is really 3 tapes and imho the best compilations of music ive ever heard , which is subjective , and some had "their time" ....somewhat in an order

the weeknds kissland 

linkin parks hybrid theory

the games documentary

50 cent grodt

eminem - the eminem show

wiz khalifa - kush and oj

fabolous - tinc 1 

just a few official mixtapes and albums that no song is skippable

wiz khalifa - cabin fever would be in there but i have no idea wtf "middle of you" was supposed to be tbh

either way , i was born in 1988 , and i never heard an album start and transition through the first 4 tracks like kissland does.

I'm not surprised Abel doesn't perform anything from Kiss Land. Overall, it wasn't great. It pales greatly in comparison to Trilogy, which is where the majority of his fans came from. KL was a misstep but he bounced back, flawlessly.

Only songs I play from KL are:

Professional
The Town
Adaptation
Love in the Sky
Kiss Land

The rest is meh

He doesn't perform any EOS anymore either. It's not a big deal.

I think it's safe to say he was disappointed with the reception among fans and critics tho.
He would perform DD and Montreal in the past

On a separate note, lately I feel like he's stuck to one playlist and performed each of those songs in a particular way. I've noticed that starting with his tour with Drake, he definitely doesn't stray when he performs songs, he uses the same pitch/tempo for each one 

I also think The Weeknd may actually love KL but was so hurt by the reception that he has moved it to a place mentally where he doesn't have to think about it. Performing songs probably brings up a sour taste

Welp clearly the god has moved on from KL, hopefully you simps follow suit
roll.gif

On the real tho never got why y'all liked that album. Adaptation & belong to the world were the only worthy cuts.
How you call others simps for enjoying KL? 
mean.gif

I'm not surprised Abel doesn't perform anything from Kiss Land. Overall, it wasn't great. It pales greatly in comparison to Trilogy, which is where the majority of his fans came from. KL was a misstep but he bounced back, flawlessly.

Only songs I play from KL are:

Professional
The Town
Adaptation
Love in the Sky
Kiss Land

The rest is meh
Bounced back as in the leaked tracks are flawless? 

At least you enjoy half the album

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom