The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Starboy the song or album?

It's better than BBTM and I liked that alot. The first 6 joints on that album >>>. At this point, his biggest problem is that he's putting too many songs on his albums.

Starboy as an album. It had so much energy to it. It's never going to be the best representation of his vocals, but it's consistent throughout the album IMO. A lot of his early stuff dragged on too long too.

Starboy is great to me, but he could've condensed it. What is it like 18 songs? 12 - 13 and it would've been A1. The long, drowned out songs were some of his best. Gives a different feel and atmosphere. Loft Music >>>

Love starboy, but the tapes and kissland are masterpieces. Starboy was 5 tracks too long. The tapes felt dragged? No way, 9 perfect tracks each.

Love starboy, but the tapes and kissland are masterpieces. Starboy was 5 tracks too long. The tapes felt dragged? No way, 9 perfect tracks each.

Dragged not in the length of the tapes but some of the songs themselves. There were quite.a few that just bored me. The music was either 1-dimensional a lot of times.

You sound like the type of fan he's curated his music to attract now. You say SB has more "structure" while most most here will say it's "formulaic." Tbh, you could see his protects become more and more polished beginning with EOS. I don't even count Valerie as part of Thursday and that's 1/2 of the songs you found strong on that project :lol:. Meanwhile on any given day Thursday is MY favorite project, and I know it's some people's choice here and elsewhere.

Again, SB has too many missteps (like False Alarm and other whack joints that display no type of artistic creativity and are obvious attempts at pop sounds for sales). Now that I think about it, might even put BBTM just above SB. I'll give both a listen in the next couple days thanks to this convo. I'm curious to see which is less trash after some time.

Thursday was weak???????????????

400x800px-LL-ed712d66_image.jpeg

You sound like the type of fan he's curated his music to attract now. You say SB has more "structure" while most most here will say it's "formulaic." Tbh, you could see his protects become more and more polished beginning with EOS. I don't even count Valerie as part of Thursday and that's 1/2 of the songs you found strong on that project :lol:. Meanwhile on any given day Thursday is MY favorite project, and I know it's some people's choice here and elsewhere.

Again, SB has too many missteps (like False Alarm and other whack joints that display no type of artistic creativity and are obvious attempts at pop sounds for sales). Now that I think about it, might even put BBTM just above SB. I'll give both a listen in the next couple days thanks to this convo. I'm curious to see which is less trash after some time.

Semantics. Structured as in built for radio. I'm actually agreeing with you. But I expected some kind of comment talking about how I'm the "problem" or the "reason" The Weeknd dumbed down/went pop. for championing Starboy. That's fine.

But it's all good. I appreciate his entire body of work. I'm not propping the tapes up on a pedestal because they were a part of this holy trinity of the golden era of The Weeknd before he went mainstream. Thursday is wack to me. HOB is hands down #1 of all his projects. EOS has plenty of gems. KL was like a a more polished, 4th addition to the trilogy. BBTM is trash, but was the moment when he turned the corner to the mainstream for good. Starboy I felt was a good mix of radio sound and pre-BBTM sound. Regardless, if Starboy is considered formulaic and radio friendly than cool. Would rather hear radio friendly Weeknd than 99% of the music on the radio now anyway.

Reminder / Party Monster / Sidewalks / Low Life pt2 / Ordinary Life / Nothing Without You / Die For You / I Feel It Coming / All I Know / True Colors / Secrets / Starboy

If he would have kept it to those 12 songs the album would have had zero holes. I agree SB went on way too long as a project.

Dragged not in the length of the tapes but some of the songs themselves. There were quite.a few that just bored me. The music was either 1-dimensional a lot of times.

Out if curiosity which tracks felt too long dragged? Please dont say gone or loft music...some of his best tracks are his longest ones

BBTM is so much better than SB. It's not even close. SB got such a short run with me—it's still damn near trash. I will not be silenced. :lol:

I found Starboy so much more enjoyable bbtm. Outside of like 6 tracks bbtm was wack. While starboy it was 5 tracks too long, bbtm was 9 too long.

He should have kept with the 10 songs or less formula. Anything more becomes filler.

Back
Top Bottom