The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Some of you guys need to quit it with the "stay the same" type b.s.

Nobody said they wanted him to stay the same, it's impossible to

Kiss Land wasn't anything like the tapes, and it was gawd level. That was evolution by the way. BBTM represented a clear change in direction and intention of what he wanted to present to the world

You can still be different and evolve while keeping the integrity of what fans were drawn to. If you like the new Weeknd that's awesome and great. Just stop trying to make up stuff like "we don't want him to evolve" or "we want him to stay the same". Totally inaccurate 

But what do you want from him though? Is it sound? Certain kinds of vocals? Subject matter?

Most artists make music that reflects their life. He can't keep making trilogy type songs when he isn't living the same way he was when they dropped.

Hes got the money, the ascension in fame, more power and access to artists and producers and his mind is totally different.

If you want to call it dumbing down or adding more of a pop element or restructuring of songs or whatever the "culprit" is, that's fine. I just don't know what is expected of him when people are saying "yeah, we ain't getting THAT Weeknd back".

Last edited:
The album really doesn't start until True Colors for me. After that, it's dope as hell! I'm less disappointed than I thought I would be. It's still weird hearing him make songs I completely don't like though--that was ever a thing before. And there are songs that aren't bad or good...they're just there. That's weird too. Definitely needed to make the hard cuts.

Kendrick went crazy. Future could have stayed home.

False Alarm is still awful. Nothing Without You, Ordinary Life and Die For You are amazing. Sidewalks is my favorite.

I like it enough.

Other than False Alarm, I **** with every single track on this album.

I love the pop/dance stuff.

I GOT A SWEET ASIAN CHICK SHE GO LO MEIN

:rofl:

So Nothing Without You is the Diplo track huh

what ya'll think about it? i know a lot of you were apprehensive about that

Last edited:
I can't get down with this album at all.

Not that I didn't see it coming, but he's just become another dude who sings songs. It's crazy that I was drawn to his music in the first place. I don't get into R&B, soul, dudes singing, none of that. Throw on some Miguel, Frank Ocean, Bruno Mars, The Dream, etc and I'll kindly ask if it's cool we listen to something else.

Whether it was the subject material, production, delivery, or a mixture of everything, those first three tapes and Kiss Land were just some of the greatest collections of music I've ever heard.

Are there a few flashes here and there of that vintage Weeknd sprinkled into this new stuff? Sure. But for the most part, if you gave any of these songs to any of the aforementioned artists they could perform them just as well.

While I probably will end up liking some of these songs, I won't be checking for any of his new music from here on out.

Realistically, it was over a few years ago. But this album really marks the end of an era.

Last edited:
Listened to it a few more times -- my repeats:

Starboy

Reminder

Secrets

True Colors

Sidewalks

Six Feet Under

Attention

Ordinary Life

Nothing Without You

Die For You

All I Know in the whip.
sick.gif

Listened to it a few more times -- my repeats:

Starboy
Reminder
Secrets
True Colors
Sidewalks
Six Feet Under
Attention
Ordinary Life
Nothing Without You
Die For You
+ I Feel It Coming

18 tracks and the man still gives us a good 9-10 songs of the good ole days.

For now, Kissland will still remain his best studio album, the flow was bananas.

Thats my only complaint, the flow, the transitions between songs that made trilogy and kissland so great are missing from this and BBTM.

Finally was able to listen to the whole album. Man... some meh songs that could be deleted but overall I give it an 8.5-10. Much better production from BBTM even though I liked a decent amount of BBTM.

That flow on secrets is nuts to me. Top 3 off the album for me

#neverforget. I wouldn't mind more of this though Abel

"And I ain't playing with your heart

It's just a habit to let ******* know the truth

I made it clear to the world

Ain't nobody gonna be that somebody"

Words I've been living by
This weeknd Dead bruh

18 songs is too much. Should be 12-13 but I'm ****** with this album heavy. Much better than his previous two.

listening to sidewalks

sam smith woulda been so dope on the post hook (daniel wilson's part)

Back
Top Bottom