The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Originally Posted by VanillaGorillaDX

To me:
HOB > Thursday = EOS

But I like all of them. I just love The Morning and The Party & The After Party 
pimp.gif
I agree with all of this. I give the slight edge to Thursday over EOS tho.
On another note, what genre would ya call him? His music def isn't what I'd call conventional R&B

After my first listen through, I was at HOB = EOS >>>>>THURS

After listening a whole lot more. EOS >>>>> HOB >> THURS

I'm surprised you guys feel that Echoes isn't amazing, even putting Thursday ahead of it.

For me its HOB>>>>EOS>>>>>Thursday....................... Its possible I'm putting HOB first because that was first time hearing dudes music and it was something new and refreshing.

Since we're ranking the trilogy...for me it's:
EOS > Thursday > HOB

HOB as a whole didn't leave me floored like Thursday and EOS. What You Need is probably my favorite from him tho. Followed by Gone and The Fall. 

I think I understand the thought behind the little Juicy J clip, but I find it almost painfully corny. Disrupts the flow of the mixtape and adds absolutely nothing to the equation.

Just some buffoonery, but not even artful buffoonery.

Love EOS, this dude's team is incredible. Production is so dope on all the songs.

I don't know how yall feel about this but I would LOVE to hear a Kid Cudi x The Weeknd track.

Sonically, it'd be the perfect spacey/ambient/atmospheric/drug-fueled song full of crooning/howling and lyrics of dirty girls, nightlife, wastedness, sex and ambivalence.

Tell me that wouldn't be a dope collab? I feel like both artists from a music standpoint offer similar interesting structure. This is based off of MOTM2 type Cudi, since I hear he's going in a rock direction now. But I digress. I think The Weeknd's sound and the sound his producers create would fit Cudi's style of singing/rapping.

Go back and listen to a song like Trapped In My Mind, The Mood, The End, with The Weeknd's style in mind. I can't be the only dude thinking these two camps could mesh can I?

After listening to this a few more times, Thursday=HOB>EOS. This tape is solid though. 3 for 3 isn't bad at all.

Originally Posted by RavageBX

I'm scared to think about where this will go next. The obvious next move is to go major and release a retail album but I'm scared it will kill his raw/organic sound. If he tries to make a song for radio play it may not end well. I need this dude to continue singing about poppin pills and poppin pu$$y on a monday.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Word

Originally Posted by GRideBounca11

Love EOS, this dude's team is incredible. Production is so dope on all the songs.

I don't know how yall feel about this but I would LOVE to hear a Kid Cudi x The Weeknd track.

Sonically, it'd be the perfect spacey/ambient/atmospheric/drug-fueled song full of crooning/howling and lyrics of dirty girls, nightlife, wastedness, sex and ambivalence.

Tell me that wouldn't be a dope collab? I feel like both artists from a music standpoint offer similar interesting structure. This is based off of MOTM2 type Cudi, since I hear he's going in a rock direction now. But I digress. I think The Weeknd's sound and the sound his producers create would fit Cudi's style of singing/rapping.

Go back and listen to a song like Trapped In My Mind, The Mood, The End, with The Weeknd's style in mind. I can't be the only dude thinking these two camps could mesh can I?

I have no words to describe how I would feel about this. I think I would cry if I heard a collaboration with them. That would be so $$@#%#! AWESOME!

Alright it's bugging the crap out of me -- what are they sampling on Montreal? I swear I know those claps from some place.

Yo you mofos need to stop ranking these tapes and recognize that they are all epic as %%%$. For real.

This dude Abel is a #%%#%@@%%%!$* genius. For real.

Dude's music is flawless. For real.

That Japanesey / Kung-fu sounding instrument thing on Outside is !%@###% dope. For real.

I'm !%@###% faded right now, but this *%%! is still dope as %%%$, I don't need to listen to any other *%%!. For real.

i'm not even worried about comparing the mixtapes. you should be enjoying the music for what it is at the moment. i can compare and contrast a little later.

if you play "the zone" before "the fall" and "lonely star" before "montreal"
pimp.gif

DON'T GET IT TWISTED, GOT SOME TRAPPERS IN THE CAR

HOB is in a league of it's own. IDK why y'all even comparing 
laugh.gif
 EOS is good though. I would say it's better than Thursday

Originally Posted by DTruth07

laugh.gif

I know that it's entirely your opinion, but I have to ask, are you saying this because of that eargasm that it brought on the first play? Because it was unlike anything else at the time? If so, then stop chasing that first high already. Neither of his follow ups were supposed to "top" House of Balloons (they did though in my opinion) . Judge them on their own merits, not what HOB did that they didn't.

To quote my own post on KTT
"It's crazy how only 8 months later dudes are saying that HOB is un-toppable and that it was his peak and all of that based on what seems to be nostalgia of the eargasm it presented on that first play (or whatever play it took for it to click with you).I actually agree with those saying that he improved with every project.

Thursday amped up his production by miles, and added a theme (kind of falls off in the last 3 or 4 songs), slightly deeper (though inaudible) lyrics and tons of back shivering high notes and falsettos.

Echoes of Silence took a different turn in it's production, but still took it to another level with the atmosphere it creates. This is easily his deepest, most powerful pen work thus far. This theme is present in EVERY song and it's almost overwhelmingly encapsulating.

I will say that his raw vocal talent was best displayed on House of Balloons though, and that despite the improvements Abel has made as an artist; it's still an amazing project."

Originally Posted by Gordonson

Originally Posted by DTruth07

laugh.gif

I know that it's entirely your opinion, but I have to ask, are you saying this because of that eargasm that it brought on the first play? Because it was unlike anything else at the time? If so, then stop chasing that first high already. Neither of his follow ups were supposed to "top" House of Balloons (they did though in my opinion) . Judge them on their own merits, not what HOB did that they didn't.

To quote my own post on KTT
"It's crazy how only 8 months later dudes are saying that HOB is un-toppable and that it was his peak and all of that based on what seems to be nostalgia of the eargasm it presented on that first play (or whatever play it took for it to click with you).I actually agree with those saying that he improved with every project.

Thursday amped up his production by miles, and added a theme (kind of falls off in the last 3 or 4 songs), slightly deeper (though inaudible) lyrics and tons of back shivering high notes and falsettos.

Echoes of Silence took a different turn in it's production, but still took it to another level with the atmosphere it creates. This is easily his deepest, most powerful pen work thus far. This theme is present in EVERY song and it's almost overwhelmingly encapsulating.

I will say that his raw vocal talent was best displayed on House of Balloons though, and that despite the improvements Abel has made as an artist; it's still an amazing project."

Anyone have a quick breakdown of the themes used in each tape?

Originally Posted by 504 D1 Prospect

Anyone have a quick breakdown of the themes used in each tape?

Maybe theme wasn't the right word. Story perhaps? In House of Balloons Abel and his crew are just some young Toronto nightlife kings. Partying, doing drugs, and most importantly, finding young willing women to draw into this lifestyle and have their way with. House of Balloon seems to be the story of The Weeknd trying this on one girl in particular.

This girl eventually becomes Thursday. The Weeknd usually has a quick turnover rate on the process described through HOB. Get that girl gone in every way imaginable, then smash/pass to his boys to smash, and let the world eat her up afterwards with no sense of guilt whatsoever. However, this girl (Thursday) has been holding on for dear life. At the beginning of the project, The Weeknd seems pleased with this. But Life of The Party makes it seem like it might still all be a game to him, and that he is merely mocking her. He's trying to cut her loose, but at the same, reserving a day for her; he does care a little then. From here, he's warning her that he's uncommitted in relationships, and that, for her sake, she should absolutely avoid falling in love with him. He's been through too much in his life to change himself, and more importantly, he LIKES what he has now ("Well I say, I have heaavveennn... Well, I say, I aammm goodddd...") .

Some time has passed from Thursday and Abel's pretty much detached from the same wild nightlife that he used to relish and describe in grandiose manners. He somehow found himself in a committed relationship and now Thursday is vengeful, lonely, and stripping successfully. She seems to understand that love is off of the table, but she just wants the company of someone who understands her lifestyle and lives a very similar one. On D.D she possibly ruins his relationship with his current girl. He seems to admit that despite the uncaring, unloving facade he put on for her, he was ready to settle down with her at one point. I lost my train of thought, so I'll stop here for now. Damn, the formatting is all messed up. I hate posting on a phone.

Props to whoever pointed out that "High for This" to "Echoes of Silence"(the song) connection...kinda sad, man. Kinda sad.

Can anyone translate the parts of Montreal he took from France Gall's 'Laisse tomber les filles'? I'd really like to know what it means.

My whole issue with Thursday is that I feel like iLLangelo and them experimented too much with the production to the point that it seemed like they were trying to mask his voice with effects and stuff. I was nervous while I was DL'ing EOS that he really didn't have a very good voice at all but then he intros with Dirty Diana and clears all of that up.

To the story that's quoted above, I don't know if I agree with the part about EOS. EOS seems like it's about a girl from before HOB that he may have had a fling with -he thought she was different then the rest of the girls- who hurt him and now wants back in his life now that he's "poppin'" but he refuses to give her a chance. The hurt she inflicted may have been what drove him to go from just experimenting with drugs to full blown addiction, "Where were you when I needed you, eight months ago(before HOB dropped)". Reference Same Old Song.

Where were you when I needed you, eight months ago
All your girlfriends talkin' bout me, now you ringin' up my phone
Bet you miss me now baby, bet you'd kiss me now baby
Especially since you know that this ain't nothin' and I only just begun

Back
Top Bottom