The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
HOB is his best work so far but Thursday and EOS is right there behind it. Dude has been the best artists in music this year by far IMO.

Seriously Same Old Song makes wanna shed a f'n tear.....
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Can anyone translate the parts of Montreal he took from France Gall's 'Laisse tomber les filles'? I'd really like to know what it means.

from the youtube video:

"To everyone who's interested. In the chorus, he's saying "Let the girls fall" (Laissez tomber les filles) as in getting rid of them as soon as your interest is gone. He continues by saying "one day they (those women) might get rid of you instead of the other way around (Un jour c'est toi qu'on laissera). At the end of the chorus he says "I won't cry" (Je ne pleurai pas), indicating that he won't cry when they let him go. "

Originally Posted by Sois Frais G

Slim wrote:
i'm not even worried about comparing the mixtapes. you should be enjoying the music for what it is at the moment. i can compare and contrast a little later.

if you play "the zone" before "the fall" and "lonely star" before "montreal"

DON'T GET IT TWISTED, GOT SOME TRAPPERS IN THE CAR
OH WORD? HE GOT SOME TRAPPERS IN THE CAR? GOT DRUG DEALERS IN THE CAR? WHERE LIKE THE BACKSEAT OR????
LOL

choppers in the car.

it's trappers, smart guy. use your ears and common sense.

"i'm a star,
don't get it twisted, got some trappers in the car
what kind of caps? got the brownest of em all
somebody pop em, before we pop em all..."

sure "choppers" makes sense in rick ross' usage, but what does an ak-47 have to do with brown caps? all of this $!$@ is about drugs, bruh...

stop slurping.

Is the boy Abel setting out DD to the crew on Initiation?

She really wants to get back with him since he's " popping" now and she's willing to do anything to get his heart back

I got a taste for you, you said you want my heart? Well baby you can have it all, but there's just something that I need from you, to meet my boys

nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Can anyone translate the parts of Montreal he took from France Gall's 'Laisse tomber les filles'? I'd really like to know what it means.
Yea,he used the lines from Gall's "Laisser tomber les filles" which means "Let go of the girls". 
My translation of the part is 

Let go of the girls (or leave the girls alone. Prob means that he should quit playing the girls)

Let go of the girls

One day it'll be you that we'll let go (or one day we'll leave you. Prob means that if he keeps it up, one day they'll leave him and he'll be alone)

Let go of the girls

Let go of the girls

One day it'll be you that we'll let go

Yes I cried on that day (this line could be rewritten as "Yes I cried but on that day". It prob means that they used to cry when he was playing them but on the day they finally left him...)

No, I won't cry (...No, they won't cry)

No, I won't cry

Yes I cried on that day

I won't cry (they won't cry)

I won't cry

The meaning is probably that he was playing multiple girls at the same time and when they found out that he was playing them they cried but the day that they finally left him and he became alone, they didn't cry.

Originally Posted by solefood229

Is the boy Abel setting out DD to the crew on Initiation?

She really wants to get back with him since he's " popping" now and she's willing to do anything to get his heart back

I got a taste for you, you said you want my heart? Well baby you can have it all, but there's just something that I need from you, to meet my boys

nerd.gif

It's test, not taste lol.

Originally Posted by GRideBounca11

Love EOS, this dude's team is incredible. Production is so dope on all the songs.

I don't know how yall feel about this but I would LOVE to hear a Kid Cudi x The Weeknd track.

Sonically, it'd be the perfect spacey/ambient/atmospheric/drug-fueled song full of crooning/howling and lyrics of dirty girls, nightlife, wastedness, sex and ambivalence.

Tell me that wouldn't be a dope collab? I feel like both artists from a music standpoint offer similar interesting structure. This is based off of MOTM2 type Cudi, since I hear he's going in a rock direction now. But I digress. I think The Weeknd's sound and the sound his producers create would fit Cudi's style of singing/rapping.

Go back and listen to a song like Trapped In My Mind, The Mood, The End, with The Weeknd's style in mind. I can't be the only dude thinking these two camps could mesh can I?
I was telling someone the same thing a while back.
pimp.gif
It just makes too much sense...I can't see how they wouldn't mesh on a track.

Originally Posted by Gordonson

Originally Posted by DTruth07

HOB is in a league of it's own. IDK why y'all even comparing 
laugh.gif
 EOS is good though. I would say it's better than Thursday

I know that it's entirely your opinion, but I have to ask, are you saying this because of that eargasm that it brought on the first play? Because it was unlike anything else at the time? If so, then stop chasing that first high already. Neither of his follow ups were supposed to "top" House of Balloons (they did though in my opinion) . Judge them on their own merits, not what HOB did that they didn't.

THANK YOU 
its like dudes lost their ear virginity and wont let go 

each tape is better than the previous. HOB did what it was supposed to do catch people's attention. 

He couldnt put out EOS or Thursday first and wouldn't have made the same impact. 

" you gon make me showwww off... & all the pain that u feel u can tell, that we ain't makin no looove "

bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif
got me feelin like son from the review vid
laugh.gif

Let me ask y'all this

If Abel were to enroll at the university of toronto next semester, quit singing, and became an accountant, what does his legacy look like based off these 27 songs?
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by JR Paperstacks

Props to whoever pointed out that "High for This" to "Echoes of Silence"(the song) connection...kinda sad, man. Kinda sad.

Me! Glad you feel the same.
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Cz7

Let me ask y'all this

If Abel were to enroll at the university of toronto next semester, quit singing, and became an accountant, what does his legacy look like based off these 27 songs?
nerd.gif

What you did there
laugh.gif
Abel is really talented though man, I don't wanna put any labels on this I just hope it continues to be this good

Originally Posted by cartune

Originally Posted by Gordonson

Originally Posted by DTruth07

HOB is in a league of it's own. IDK why y'all even comparing 
laugh.gif
 EOS is good though. I would say it's better than Thursday

I know that it's entirely your opinion, but I have to ask, are you saying this because of that eargasm that it brought on the first play? Because it was unlike anything else at the time? If so, then stop chasing that first high already. Neither of his follow ups were supposed to "top" House of Balloons (they did though in my opinion) . Judge them on their own merits, not what HOB did that they didn't.

THANK YOU 
its like dudes lost their ear virginity and wont let go 

each tape is better than the previous. HOB did what it was supposed to do catch people's attention. 

He couldnt put out EOS or Thursday first and wouldn't have made the same impact. 

eek.gif
wow I came in to post something like this. Basically the 1st time I heard HOB I was blown away by what he was doing to music. So you're right I can never get that first high again so I'm done ranking. (Even though I think it would go EOS>HOB>Thursday
tongue.gif
) but yeah I feel envious of anyone who hasn't heard the Weeknd cause I'm listening to the trilogy front to back now and I'm floored at how it flows. If I didn't hear about him and someone presented me this 2 hour 25 minutes and 41 second masterpiece I wouldn't know what to do

If I had to choose one song on HOB that I didnt like, it'd be the morning for sure.. But I can still listen to it

??? The Morning is so
pimp.gif
. I never knew why peeps liked The Knowing so much. That's the one I skipped on HOB

Originally Posted by henz0

If I had to choose one song on HOB that I didnt like, it'd be the morning for sure.. But I can still listen to it

Henz replied to me
eek.gif
. Naw, but this is my sentiment exactly Even just got finished singing along to it word for word.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom