The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Originally Posted by PersiaFly

3. EOS: The album goes down from there, none of the last three songs are memorable.

Just my .2 cents.

Son... The Fall, Next, and Echoes of Silence are what you consider "going down"?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

I know it's your opinion... but naw.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Originally Posted by Noskey

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

eek.gif
at all of the different replies on which track they like least on HOB.

Definitely for me, every single damb track on that is a classic except for Glass Table Girls

Every other freaking HOB track is pure
pimp.gif

34dsi1x.gif
laugh.gif

Trust me that's how I felt when I was reading others mention Loft Music, The Knowing etc. etc. got me
mad.gif
laugh.gif

Glass Table Girls is pure piffery. The transition into it is perfect. But I do think Loft Music is the weakest song on the mixtape and thats not saying much because I think that song is fire. The whole tape to me is classic so its not even like im saying the song is weak, just that I believe every other song is just that good.

The visuals certainly gave me a renewed appreciation for "The Knowing". If there is ever a song I skip it's usually "Thursday".

Originally Posted by Gordonson

3. EOS: The album goes down from there, none of the last three songs are memorable.

Just my .2 cents.

Son... The Fall, Next, and Echoes of Silence are what you consider "going down"?
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

If you read my post in context, you would catch that I still find these songs to be great. But to me they're not close to the level of his best work. The Fall's middle verse is great, Next's first part is great, but the songs are too long and have repetitive hooks. The last song is more like an outro really, I don't think it's fair to rate it. He never got out of first gear on that song. His voice is beautiful, but when I know how much he can do with it a song like this doesn't blow me away. 

As great as this man is I feel sorry for him....
This time is going to be a distant memory when everyone starts giving him the Drake treatment. The same thing is going to happen with him when he becomes a world phenomenon and his "old" fans are going to turn their backs on him. His rise to fame is almost as fast as Drake's was, its almost eerie how similar their come up is. The next thing you no everyone is going to start saying they want hi to go back to his HOB days and he isn't the same anymore. I guess it happens to every artist that reaches the greatest levels of superstardom. There are so many people that listen to him that I would have ever known, the same thing happened with Drake when I thought only a few people in my area listened to him, then the next thing I now EVERYONE was listening to him....I just hope Mr. Weeknd can stay true to himself, cause he is about to go through some BS with his "fans"

BTW....HOB>EOS>Thursday

KingJaffeJo wrote:
This time is going to be a distant memory when everyone starts giving him the Drake treatment. The same thing is going to happen with him when he becomes a world phenomenon and his "old" fans are going to turn their backs on him. His rise to fame is almost as fast as Drake's was, its almost eerie how similar their come up is. The next thing you no everyone is going to start saying they want hi to go back to his HOB days and he isn't the same anymore. I guess it happens to every artist that reaches the greatest levels of superstardom. There are so many people that listen to him that I would have ever known, the same thing happened with Drake when I thought only a few people in my area listened to him, then the next thing I now EVERYONE was listening to him....I just hope Mr. Weeknd can stay true to himself, cause he is about to go through some BS with his "fans"

BTW....HOB>EOS>Thursday

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

KingJaffeJo wrote:

BTW....HOB>EOS>Thursday

Drake stan sounds like Drake stan

as new as it is, EOS might be my favorite R&B album of all time. no song is skippable. it is flawless.

I love how 70% of this thread consists of the following:

"yo, I love Lonely Star, best track on the album"
"word, that's my fav!"
"dude I hate that track, it's the worst one, I can't listen to it, are you dumb? it's trash"
"yeah, me netiher, wth is wrong with you man? it's the worst song ever, everything else on that mixtape is piff"
"no that mixtape sucks, it's the worst of the three"
"dude what are you talking about, it's actually the best of the three, you know nothing"

Originally Posted by RHYTHMentality

Don't know if anyone else feels the same, but it only took me 2 - 3 plays to get sick of hearing Juicy J on Same Old Song. 
laugh.gif

Any of y'all interested, I edited dude out without sacrificing the length of the track [5:12 - 5:13] or the original quality [320kbps].

Pick it up here: http://www.zshare.net/audio/97790488d0b3f2c9/

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I was considering trying to do this also. Gonna have to burn me a whole 'nother copy with this version on it. Thanks!

This is the only thing out of the 3 releases that make it sound like a "mixtape". I wouldn't call any of them mix tapes because mixtapes traditionally are a compilation of songs with the artist sometimes narrating over it. These 3 are albums in a trilogy that all come together in a story arc. I can't think of any other artist who has done that, and much props to NT to the NT community for actually discussing the music rather than trolling eachother (KTT)

Originally Posted by alex2182

KingJaffeJo wrote:

BTW....HOB>EOS>Thursday

uh, he has a point though.................

just tried to peep E.O.S and i cannot get past this DD cover
sick.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by alex2182

KingJaffeJo wrote:

BTW....HOB>EOS>Thursday

I am far from a Drake stan...there wasn't anything "stannish" about my post....just a comparison of two artist and their fan bases.
I will admit that I like what Drake brings musically, but I enjoy The Weeknd even more so for the breath of fresh air he has brought to my ears...but I can clearly see the parallels of the start of his career and Drakes, that is all. Because just like Weeknd has brought something fresh to music, so did Drake back, back in the day along with a lot of other similarities that they have. I was just thinking at this point in his career is probably the most genuine because he is free to create without labels being placed on him or pressure from his own fans (trust me I hope this doesnt happen) but I can only learn from the past to look into the future...but then again it could just be my "stannish" ways.

Since you guys were talking about story arcs a few pages ago, here's my input: Weeknd is Abel's alter ego that was created in reaction to some girl breaking his heart. That alter ego is slowly taking over his life...

House of Balloons

HoB introduces us to Weeknd. It's all first person narrative, but if you examine the content of all the songs collectively, it sorts out like this: He was in a relationship, but he got cheated on (revealed in the Knowing). Aside from the drugs and gangbangs, Abel is revealing a lot of his hurt from what happened to him in the past: 

You can track his transformation in: "Wicked Games" --> "The Knowing" --> "Same Old Song"

"Bring your love baby I can bring my shame. Bring the drugs baby I can bring my pain" 

the next day:

"I know what you did so I'ma let you taste her. I ain't washing my sins"

Time passes for Abel after he's become The Weeknd (between HoB release, Thursday, Take Care, and finally Echoes of Silence): 

"Where were you when I needed you 8 months ago"

8 months ago was March, the month HoB dropped

Thursday 

Thursday may as well be called 'The adventures of the Weeknd' If this were a James Bond movie, "Lonely Star" would be the opening credits. "Life of the Party" would be the opening scene and would take place on a Thursday. The song "Thursday" takes place on the following Wednesday. The Zone would be the second Thursday (after "Life of the Party"). This of course is followed by the Birds 1&2, Gone, Rolling Stone, and Heaven or Las Vegas. 

Birds- "Don't fall in love with me"

Gone- a conversation as to why no girl should fall in love with him

Rollingstone- self explanatory. Abel has become a rollingstone, like in the Temptations song, "Papa was a Rollingstone"  

Heaven or Las Vegas- Las Vegas is also called "Sin City". It's the perfect playground for all of the Weeknd stuff that goes down. "Is this heaven, or Las Vegas?"

Spoiler [+]
The fact that this is meant to be enjoyed as a WHOLE is probably the reason why it's the least liked or the most loved. While there are definitely some stand outs,this tape makes the most sense when played from beginning to end. You can put HoB and EoS on shuffle and enjoy the album. Thursday has to be played in order.

Echoes of Silence

This seems to be a little bit of Abel and Weeknd. Abel knows he's blowing up as the Weeknd and he's dealing with the fame. The Fall and Next take place in a strip club. He's being recognized by women and he's aware that, "you only want me 'cause I'm next", as in the next big thing. The overall sense I get from this album is that he's going into these strip clubs and women are flocking to him and he knows that "They don't want my love, they just want my potential". Deep down he's still dealing with the hurt from the girl from whom his Weeknd alter ego was spawned. 

Spoiler [+]
514nPcDrx+L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

All in all, I think The Same old Song captures the entire scope of Weeknd and Abel both in sound and in the lyics

Originally Posted by JordanFan04

I'm not really feeling the outro to EOS *shrugs*.

I'm not gonna chastise your opinion, but personally I love it. It's the perfect way to end the Balloons trilogy.

Ugh, I'm gonna end up listening to this tape more than HoB* and Thursday combined at the rate I'm playing this
30t6p3b.gif

*not counting listenings in the car. HoB was the only thing I listened to in there during spring term
embarassed.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Gordonson

Just my .2 cents.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom