The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Originally Posted by theMez

Even if Common disses The Weeknd, nobody'll give a #%@* and nobody'll stop listening. He's not some rapper that can just be replaced. That's a benefit of being so unique.
You'd be surprised. I know ppl who will not listen to Lupe Fiasco at all b/c he kinda dissed ATCQ. But anyways, that's not the point. The point is Abel shouldn't want his name involved in any of this at this point in his career.

at first i felt like I was the only person on the planet that listens to the weeknd until I found this thread on here lol. When I tweet one of his lines from "Initiation" on twitter folks always give me the side eye. I downloaded all of his mixtapes and the soundtrack of Sucker Punch a week ago. I've been in a zone every since.

Common gone diss The Weeknd? okay.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by Jking0821

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Originally Posted by ServeChilled81

i think i remember hearing this song in a Tarantino movie
it's been stuck in my head all day

My girl translated it for me (she's french 
devil.gif
) and it has something to do about him crying over a girl, but he won't cry for her anymore...something like that.

This is right

I have the word for word translation on my ipad i can post it when i get home.  Some one in the KTT forum translated it.  But I am not trying to fish through that 1800 page thread to find it.  Basically "I am not going to cry anymore"
Nice ShadyKay,french girls are 
smokin.gif
. I posted my whole breakdown of the parts in french waay back in this thread shortly after EOS dropped.

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by RedMan

At people think Drake put The Weeknd on. All Drake did was post two tracks on his blog. HOB would have blown up because it's hot simple as that.

You can make that seem like an insignificant thing if you want to...but it really isn't.
If you understand how the music industry works in this internet era then you know that was a MAJOR look. Perhaps it would have blown up over time...but dude blew up from the jump. 

Find me an artist in the past 5 years...that came from nowhere...and had THAT much acclaim on their first project without a major co-sign

HOB had like 100,000 downloads it's first week. Drake had NOTHING to do with that right? Not to mention shortly after that he co-branded an entire movement with dude.

I understand ya'll dudes hate Drake...but please...be rational. 

Big Krit
Kendric Lamar
Frank Ocean
Tylor the creator
Mac Miller (I don't understand his buzz nor do I like him but he is putting in work)
Wiz (blew up with no co-sign)
Danny Brown
Bon Iver
Das Racist

At people think Drake put The Weeknd on. All Drake did was post two tracks on his blog. HOB would have blown up because it's hot simple as that.

You can make that seem like an insignificant thing if you want to...but it really isn't.
If you understand how the music industry works in this internet era then you know that was a MAJOR look. Perhaps it would have blown up over time...but dude blew up from the jump. 

Find me an artist in the past 5 years...that came from nowhere...and had THAT much acclaim on their first project without a major co-sign

HOB had like 100,000 downloads it's first week. Drake had NOTHING to do with that right? Not to mention shortly after that he co-branded an entire movement with dude.

Big Krit
Kendric Lamar
Frank Ocean
Tylor the creator
Mac Miller (I don't understand his buzz nor do I like him but he is putting in work)
Danny Brown
Bon Iver
Das Racist
Krit- Not that big yet but I'll give you this.
Kendrick- Didn't blow up til Dre said he would be on Detox
Frank ocean- Diddy, Lupe and others tweeted about his mixtape being out
Tyler- Closest to the right answer so far but Questlove putting him on Jimmy Fallon/Kanye tweeted his video HELPED
Mac Miller- Wiz co-sign
Wiz- You right
Danny Brown- Yeah he hasnt blow up
laugh.gif

Bon Iver- This is kinda correct. But I feel Bon didn't blow up til their 2nd album but that's just me. Hell if you can count Pitchfork as a major co-sign then they're def out the running
laugh.gif

Das Racist- See Danny Brown

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Big Krit
Kendric Lamar
Frank Ocean
Tylor the creator
Danny Brown
Bon Iver
Das Racist
Tyler- Closest to the right answer so far but Questlove putting him on Jimmy Fallon/Kanye tweeted his video HELPED
Mac Miller- Wiz co-sign
Wiz- You right
laugh.gif

Bon Iver- This is kinda correct. But I feel Bon didn't blow up til their 2nd album but that's just me. Hell if you can count Pitchfork as a major co-sign then they're def out the running
laugh.gif

I see my comment was not understood.I said out of nowhere with their first project. Wiz Khalifa been grinding since 06 so i have no clue why his name was mentioned.Tyler certainly didnt come from nowhere either. Dudes have had their own little fan base and following since 08 with the first OF tape. They didnt take off til this year. They have the same management as Em. You really think they going to cosign some no name kids without any kind of movement already in motion?Krit hasnt blown up yet...but nobody knew who he was until Kush and Orange Juice. Thats called a co-sign. Mac Miller? Really? Frank Ocean = Odd Future. That was obvious. Kendrick Lamar didnt come out of nowhere. TDE had a movement going out LA for years. And his first project was back in like 06-07. Dude was on a track and a video with Lil Wayne and Jay Rock before OD dropped. Plus he didnt start getting major media pub til the Dre co-sign.I dont listen to Bon Iver or Das Racist so i cant comment on them.

whoever in here who says the weeknd wouldn't blow up without a major co-sign by drake is just plain stupid.

Originally Posted by bee easyy

whoever in here who says the weeknd wouldn't blow up without a major co-sign by drake is just plain stupid.

How do you know he would or wouldnt have?

I've been playing the weeknd since HOB dropped I definitely know that a majority of people (around me) didn't know who he was until crew love dropped. Most of the people I put on to his other stuff thought the weeknd was a group before I explained he was a solo artist. I know that his music deserves to heard by the masses and he would have blew eventually. I also have to admit drake really helped his career as far as mass appeal by spoon feeding the masses a sample of his music.

Its hard to say whether he would have blown up without the Drake cosign

Being he's been at it for years and he dropped almost half of HOB in 2010 without "blowing up"

Plus a lot of these +++@ first time hearing him was on Drake's album "Is this the Weekend guy you been talking about" was a popular phrase

Big Krit

Kendric Lamar

Frank Ocean

Tylor the creator

Danny Brown

Bon Iver

Das Racist
Mac Miller- Wiz co-sign
Wiz- You right
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I see my comment was not understood.

I said out of nowhere with their first project. Wiz Khalifa been grinding since 06 so i have no clue why his name was mentioned.
Tyler certainly didnt come from nowhere either. Dudes have had their own little fan base and following since 08 with the first OF tape. They didnt take off til this year.
They have the same management as Em. You really think they going to cosign some no name kids without any kind of movement already in motion?
Krit hasnt blown up yet...but nobody knew who he was until Kush and Orange Juice. Thats called a co-sign.

Mac Miller? Really? Frank Ocean = Odd Future. That was obvious. Kendrick Lamar didnt come out of nowhere. TDE had a movement going out LA for years. And his first project was back in like 06-07. Dude was on a track and a video with Lil Wayne and Jay Rock before OD dropped. Plus he didnt start getting major media pub til the Dre co-sign.

I dont listen to Bon Iver or Das Racist so i cant comment on them.

If you want to dig that deep the The Weeknd has been grinding for years too and HOB was not his first body of work. At one point he was signed to a label and apart of a production team.

You are acting like HOB was the first nine songs The Weeknd has ever done in his life.

Mac Miller- Wiz co-sign
Wiz- You right
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

I see my comment was not understood.

I said out of nowhere with their first project. Wiz Khalifa been grinding since 06 so i have no clue why his name was mentioned.
Tyler certainly didnt come from nowhere either. Dudes have had their own little fan base and following since 08 with the first OF tape. They didnt take off til this year.
They have the same management as Em. You really think they going to cosign some no name kids without any kind of movement already in motion?
Krit hasnt blown up yet...but nobody knew who he was until Kush and Orange Juice. Thats called a co-sign.

Mac Miller? Really? Frank Ocean = Odd Future. That was obvious. Kendrick Lamar didnt come out of nowhere. TDE had a movement going out LA for years. And his first project was back in like 06-07. Dude was on a track and a video with Lil Wayne and Jay Rock before OD dropped. Plus he didnt start getting major media pub til the Dre co-sign.

I dont listen to Bon Iver or Das Racist so i cant comment on them.

If you want to dig that deep the The Weeknd has been grinding for years too and HOB was not his first body of work. At one point he was signed to a label and apart of a production team.

You are acting like HOB was the first nine songs The Weeknd has ever done in his life.
You not telling me #!#+ I don't know. His previous work under The Noise NEVER put out a full length project to the masses. HOB is his first real project as a solo artist. 
You gonna tell me that #!#+ but you just had Wiz listed up top on that list when his debut album came out in 2006 that was available for purchase.

Man shut up. Dudes talented and thats it.
Can we just appreciate him for what he has
given us and continue to do so? Derailing the thread.

Many people blow up outta no where ala A$AP.
Regardless, someone woulda caught wind, or gave
him a feature/ let him feature. This IS the music industry.

Originally Posted by Dead Stokc

Many people blow up outta no where ala A$AP.
Regardless, someone woulda caught wind, or gave
him a feature/ let him feature. This IS the music industry.

Right. Where there are tons of talented musicians that no one ever catches wind of. So what are you saying?
Fact remains...Drake did bring a ton of public awareness to him. That is a fact. You can talk about what MIGHT have happened all day long. That's speculatory. 

I think he's saying what the hell is the point of your argument. There is no good that can come from someone being right or wrong on your topic. The Weeknd is here, he's great, and churning out great music... let's just all let it be and enjoy that #%+%.

Originally Posted by 703FlipFiend

I think he's saying what the hell is the point of your argument. There is no good that can come from someone being right or wrong on your topic. The Weeknd is here, he's great, and churning out great music... let's just all let it be and enjoy that #%+%.

It's a message board. I was having a discussion with two other $+%@** about the topic. If ya'll ain't got %+*% to add to it...let us cook. 

Originally Posted by ShadyKay NT

Is it me, or does Weeknd always talk about a chick showing his "crew some love."

Groupies? Gangbangs? Running train?
I keep hearing that the whole XO crew are known to be full time train conductors in Toronto word to Roethlisburger 

^^ Who is that girl in your avy?  She's bad.

As far as the weekend, I feel lots of his songs sound the same.  I dont know, maybe its just me.  He also sings about drugs too much.  He also kind of, in a way I cant really put my finger on, reminds me of The Dream.

That boy OG Ron C shouted me out and said if you dont wanna hear talking check the Slim K version out
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom