The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Any Noise Ep fans, or do we just look over it? I personally like Birthday Suit, Rescue You/Superhero, Love Through Her and Appointment.
I rock with Birthday Suit. It has this muted like static sound to it that is very melancholy. I like it

Love Through Her is also a solid song. Feel like it could easily fit into BBTM as a bonus track

Last edited:

The problem isn't that BBTM is too pop or that's it's not dark enough, the problem is its "needy" which just isn't Abel musically.

Features from Laborinth, Ed Sheridan, Lana Del Rey. That Kanye Production. All that stuff was inorganic and reaked of reaching for something.

Dark Times is a pretty damn good song but it don't even belong to Abel. That's the problem in a nutshell.
What does this even mean?
I'm not speaking content wise, I'm speaking on it's construction and some of the executive decisions. In some ways it feels forced, unnatural, even desperate.  Again I can't point to a better example than the song Dark Times. That's good music, but figuratively speaking, it doesn't feel like it belongs to Abel.

For someone like him, who put his stamp on all his music leading up to BBTM in such an unquestionable way, it's hard for me to accept songs like Dark Times or Tell Your Friends. 

My musical pallete ranges all over the place... from Classical to Nirvana.

So it's not that I'm not open-minded when it comes to music... it's just that BBTM isn't that good ( by Weeknd standards).

BBTM just ain't a good album to me. Weeknds music was so great cuz if was raw and real. Then he went and made that Jason Durulo, Bruno Mars, Miguel turn. That album is like following the rules of the industry. When I go through the album it's like here's the pop song, the dirty song, the radio hit, the song for my old fans, song for my new fans. It sounds manufactured. His old **** sounds like he just wanted to make great music. It felt more real.

Last edited:
BBTM just ain't a good album to me. Weeknds music was so great cuz if was raw and real. Then he went and made that Jason Durulo, Bruno Mars, Miguel turn. That album is like following the rules of the industry. When I go through the album it's like here's the pop song, the dirty song, the radio hit, the song for my old fans, song for my new fans. It sounds manufactured. His old **** sounds like he just wanted to make great music. It felt more real.

Still a huge fan of the guy, but yeah I feel the same way about this album...

..."Tell Your Friends" is my **** though.

Idk but 'Acquainted' got its memories for me and that will always be good in my book :smokin if ya'll only knew

Idk how his is so hard for people to understand :lol: ****** KNOW damn well if this was the first weeknd album they heard they wouldn't even be fans

I remember being in the drive thru at McDonald's, these girls in front of me was blasting I Can't Feel My Face. I was thinking " If they knew the greatness and filth that came before this..."

Anyone else get irked when people think The Weeknd is a band?

Me: Have you heard that new Weeknd song?

Buford: Ya, I like them a lot.

:x

sick.gif
Yeah that bothers me too. 

I remember being in the drive thru at McDonald's, these girls in front of me was blasting I Can't Feel My Face. I was thinking " If they knew the greatness and filth that came before this..."
I think that all the time when I see randoms enjoying his music (for instance at corporate offices with suits and accountants listening to him over the radio). Especially when the music is playing with kids around and they're dancing around singing along to him

sick.gif
EVERYONE around thought he was a band when the tapes first dropped. I play it for folks and I always got questioned who it was.. inevitably "they" would get thrown out there. "They're cool", "they have any other songs?"

I think that all the time when I see randoms enjoying his music (for instance at corporate offices with suits and accountants listening to him over the radio). Especially when the music is playing with kids around and they're dancing around singing along to him
Yup lol. I think to myself "if only they knew" haha

"We’re all a family but when it comes down to video games, it gets super competitive. It’s the only thing that gets really competitive on tour. From Travis to Lamar to Abel and me. And we had another guy called Dax, who was really, really good and he was just shutting everyone down. 

At some point, it was so competitive that you would walk into Abel’s room and he’d be playing campaign in mode, warming up so he was in shape to beat everyone. That’s where all the trash talk started coming out. It was amazing. It was a great experience to add another mood to the tour. Video games are always playful; people get super cocky. And sometimes, it'd just be like, “Man, I can’t have you selling out shows and beating everyone at this game. It's not right.'"

laugh.gif
nthat.gif

Love Through Her had me all in my feels back in 2011 when my ex left me and I was wildin out with different girls. :smh:

Back
Top Bottom