The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Also going to listen to kissland right now
(His vocals have really improved man. Wow
Also his song writing/structure)

I still think a lot of people are connecting their life and nastalgia to the music when judging.

Last edited:
I understand people want, and need to progress as an artist....but i just cant get down wit this new weeknd.

I need that old dark, **** you *****, drug induced ****.

Not sayin this album is bad, but as a weeknd fan, its like listenin to vanilla ice doin tupac karaoke.

This aint it.

Last edited:
"I want that dark, **** you *****, drug induced ****" :rofl:

This dude literally talks about killing himself by driving off a cliff while his female passenger is completely unaware of her impending doom since she's too busy giving a toothy blowjob.

Like... what the hell else are you dudes saying anymore?

And Lovely Star is? Pointing out the lack of savagery on one song doesn't negate the satanic levels of debauchery on another track. Angel and Earned It exist on the same album as The Hills. What's your point?

The dude was a 21 year old kid strung out on coke and female-induced depression when he made trilogy. You would think that in 5 years time he'd pick up a few new experiences and find some new **** to talk about. Dude's driving a damn McLaren and sleeping with models these days. Dude's growing up and moving on with life. No matter how much you guys would wish it so, 2016 will never be 2011. Dude hasn't made a complete departure from his original self, just added new layers to his character... as everyone should do over a five year period. :lol: :rolleyes

It's like some of you guys are still holding on to heartbreaks and dark periods from 2011 and you want his music to continue to reflect that point of life for you. You all can pop the trilogy in any time fams.

Last edited:
KL

EOS

HOB

RESCUE YOU

ENEMY

THE FEATURES

THURSDAY

TAKE CARE

SB

THE SONG WITH ARIANA

RIFF RAFFS PINK PANTHER

BBTM

Last edited:
Lol kissland overrated on NT, I will say that.

If he never makes BBTM or SB, kissland would be possibly only better than Thursday, which I wouldn't even say that.

It would sit at the bottom of his catalogue. There is no way on earth kissland is better than HOB or EOS...not possible. There are single songs on both projects that i would rather listen to 12 or 14 times on repeat before I listen to kissland.

Now with all that said, it's still a good project and has its gems(kissland, professional, etc)

I think its just hard to take all the sugary tracks honestly.

Like you can drive P1s and smash models...Starboy is a fantastic track. Its everything i thought the evolution would be. Still some what dark lyric wise but with poppy happier beats. I still to this day love I can't feel my face for that reason. Its like a great middle ground from pop to his roots.

But like there are a lot of filler/pop tracks here.
Love to Lay
A Lonely Night
Attention
Nothing Without you
Die for You

they are all forgettable for me. Like they come on and i check out and it becomes background music. If he cut all those songs out...honestly this would be an album of the year contender for me. Reminder is flawless Party Monster is so so good. Six feet under is my fav song right now. But the other tracks....i just can't right now

I feel what you're saying, but you listed 5 tracks on an 18 track album. I remember most of us were hoping for at least 9 good songs. By your account, we got 13. I can live with that.

Sure there are songs that are bound to be skipped over. That's the case with every project he's released. But if we can still get some quality tracks, there's little room to complain. Those filler tracks you listed are for the teenyboppers and their soccer moms who are more likely to show up to the concert. Can't knock dude for that. P1s and Aventadors not gonna purchase themselves :lol:

Like I said, we all ought to be thankful that we didn't get any garbage like titr or (god forbid) kotf.

Last edited:
I feel what you're saying, but you listed 5 tracks on an 18 track album. I remember most of us were hoping for at least 9 good songs. By your account, we got 13. I can live with that.

Sure there are songs that are bound to be skipped over. That's the case with every project he's released. But if we can still get some quality tracks, there's little room to complain. Those filler tracks you listed are for the teenyboppers and their soccer moms who are more likely to show up to the concert. Can't knock dude for that. P1s and Aventados not gonna purchase themselves :lol:

Like I said, we all ought to be thankful that we didn't get any garbage like titr or (god forbid) kotf.

Completely agree repped

I make comments with complete and known bias :lol: HOB-Thursday-EOS were flawless to me. So i know partially i have the bar way too high. I am very very happy with this album all things considered.

Last edited:
Man I get the content is a little too romantic but there's no way Die For You is filler/background music. One of his most powerful records

And Lovely Star is? Pointing out the lack of savagery on one song doesn't negate the satanic levels of debauchery on another track. Angel and Earned It exist on the same album as The Hills. What's your point?

The dude was a 21 year old kid strung out on coke and female-induced depression when he made trilogy. You would think that in 5 years time he'd pick up a few new experiences and find some new **** to talk about. Dude's driving a damn McLaren and sleeping with models these days. Dude's growing up and moving on with life. No matter how much you guys would wish it so, 2016 will never be 2011. Dude hasn't made a complete departure from his original self, just added new layers to his character... as everyone should do over a five year period.
laugh.gif
eyes.gif

It's like some of you guys are still holding on to heartbreaks and dark periods from 2011 and you want his music to continue to reflect that point of life for you. You all can pop the trilogy in any time fams.
This.

I see all this back and forth and think I'm viewing a spirited debate with valid points left and right, and then I see stuff like this
And swear some of the people yapping in here are the result of some sister/brother shenanigans.

This hurt is crazy for some of y'all man :rofl:

I have to question some of y'all begging for the old sound tho. Like yes, I loved the Trilogy and KL, but his life is different now. Would ya want him to still be a druggie depressed over girls? He could rerelease the trilogy as a new album, and people would say he hasn't changed anything at all. As fans, we care about just the sound, but for the artist, sound and SALES are important. Can't make your cash doing the same thing over and over again.

Sure, some sounds on SB are more poppy and funky, but is he culture jacking like another resident of Toronto (hint: controlla)? As long as he's doing what he wants while still talking his same talk, I'll be a weeknd fan.

Y'all don't think Lonely Star is savage!??

Y'all understand what he's saying?

Also, I'm surprised everyone isn't feeling A Lonely Night.. that **** is fire n groovy AF. so MJ

Last edited:
After finally giving this a few more spins I must say I love this album. If he was going to have to go pop he gave us the pop record I wanted to hear. There's not really many weak songs but there's plenty of bangers and to me the best song he cut way to short. The Stargirl interlude goes hard. The vocals by both are just incredible on that track and just as it gets going it cuts off. I definitely wanted more. I don't mind this direction one bit because he actually showed he could do pop music right unlike the dud that is BBTM.

Not saying it's not savage, just saying there are levels to the savagery and pointing out the lesser extent of one track's savagery doesn't lessen another's.

Back
Top Bottom