The Wolverine - Movie Thread (07/26/13) - Trailers on page 7

'The Wolverine' plot details revealed

Hugh Jackman and 20th Century Fox are trying to take the Wolverine series (spun off from the hit "X-Men" films) in a new direction.

While we previously knew that "The Wolverine" wasn't going to be a direct sequel to the dismal "X-Men Origins: Wolverine," Fox has just released an official synopsis for the upcoming film"The Wolverine."

It says: "Based on the celebrated comic book arc, 'The Wolverine' finds Logan, the eternal warrior and outsider, in Japan. There, samurai steel will clash with adamantium claw as Logan confronts a mysterious figure from his past in an epic battle that will leave him forever changed."

As previously assumed, the story is taken from Chris Claremont and Frank Miller's beloved early '80s miniseries.

Jackman is returning as the mutant. James Mangold ("Walk the Line," "3:10 to Yuma") is directing, from a script most recently re-written by Mark Bomback (the "Total Recall" remake). Jackman has said that film won't feature too many other mutants, making it more streamlined than the bloated "Origins."

Mangold, a full two weeks into shooting, eagerly tweeted some more details, saying, "movies I think about as I make #TheWolverine : Eastwood’s Josie Wales, Powell’s Back Narcissus, Hitchcock’s Rear Window, Marnie, Vertigo" and "Today I am starting an intense set piece of action and drama at the Yashida Compound set. Logan, Yukio and Shingen."

Another tweet includes the promise that "Amazing images are being made."

Just what the director took from the aforementioned Hitchcock films and the excellent convent drama "Black Narcissus" (co-directed by Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger) remains to be seen, but at least he has good taste. He did, however, spell "Josey Wales" wrong, but mistakes happen.

The film's mostly Japanese cast includes Will Yun Lee, Hiroyuki Sanada, Hal Yamanouchi, Tao Okamoto, and Rila Fukushima.

Last edited:
I hope they don't f*** this up...All the x-mem films can get the gas face as far as I'm concerned...The last Wolverine was ok. Seeing Silver Samurai will be exciting. Is his cousin Sunfire going to be in the flick?

That poster of Logan on the rooftop is :smokin

Last edited:
Ehhh.... I'll just ignore this franchise until Jackman is replaced.

Even though he isn't exactly Wolverine in appearance from the comics, I feel he plays Logan well. Really hard to imagine anyone else playing Wolverine, Jackman may have done crappy movies but dude could act. He often does stage plays and I believe even got nominated for a Tony too. It's also great that he commits to it and really works out hard to look as he would say "animalistic" for the film.

By who?....this dude is awesome as Logan.

When I was WAYYYY younger before the thought of comics making the big screen we used to wonder who would play who, we hit Xavier on the head ad always thought Mel should play Logan...Gibson in his prime (lethal weapon) would have been PERFECT.

I've tried my best to like Jackman as Logan. Part of the problem is the physical profile, true. The major problem, to me, however, is how the character's attitude has been portrayed onto the big screen. It's been over a solid decade of big screen disappointment for my favorite childhood comic book character.

I'm not knocking Jackman for his effort, but his execution leaves a lot to be desired. He was miscast from the start and I can't just "get used to it." "Origins" was the last straw. It's literally going on 13 years for goodness' sake. Time to try something new IMO.

i wonder who else they were thinking of casting instead of jackman..i couldnt think of anyone off the top..

they also needed a "big" name...to give it that push.

besides gerard butler and jason statham i dont see anyone fitting this role.

Statham is balding bruh :lol: you need that I'll hairline to play Logan..

Butler...mayyyybeee....honestly think of Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon and tell me dude wouldn't have for the role PERFECT....son WAS Logan without the claws...crazy ***.

I've tried my best to like Jackman as Logan. Part of the problem is the physical profile, true. The major problem, to me, however, is how the character's attitude has been portrayed onto the big screen. It's been over a solid decade of big screen disappointment for my favorite childhood comic book character.
I'm not knocking Jackman for his effort, but his execution leaves a lot to be desired. He was miscast from the start and I can't just "get used to it." "Origins" was the last straw. It's literally going on 13 years for goodness' sake. Time to try something new IMO.

View media item 169895

Reactions: God
What I want to know is why Hollywood hasn't castes Lucy Lu to play Psylocke already, seriously one of the baddest chicks in Marvel....fantasizes bout her as a kid.

I'm pumped for this one. I liked a lot of the first Wolverine, I just felt like they rushed some things, and lost their way a bit.

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool was awesome, and they gave him 4 minutes on screen. :x

Liev Schrieber was outstanding

Gambit they held too long into the film, and even then didn't use him enough.

They wasted time with **** like Blob, and the failed Mutant X at the end was pretty bad. If they would have cleaned up some of the rough edges, that could have been a really really good movie.

I'm hoping they do that with this one.

And ya'll crazy that don't like Jackman. He's been carrying these movies seriously for 13 years, and he pushes to have stuff done as well as possible, he doesn't just mail it in. I know sometime in the future he will be replaced, but he's done a great job in the films he's done so far. Even X3 wasn't on him. :lol:

tumblr_lq2u0cmb2s1qii6tmo1_500.gif

All bs aside, Wolverine is literally top 5 mutants....now that I think about it this dude is one bad muther*^*%%

i have absolutely no clue as to this language you are speaking sir or madam.

Jackman is clutch as Logan.

Werd besides Jackman being like 6 ft and Wolverine not being tall at all, dude was perfectly casted....dude was amazing when I first saw him on screen.

I'm pumped for this one. I liked a lot of the first Wolverine, I just felt like they rushed some things, and lost their way a bit.

Ryan Reynolds as Deadpool was awesome, and they gave him 4 minutes on screen. :x

Liev Schrieber was outstanding

Gambit they held too long into the film, and even then didn't use him enough.

They wasted time with **** like Blob, and the failed Mutant X at the end was pretty bad. If they would have cleaned up some of the rough edges, that could have been a really really good movie.

I'm hoping they do that with this one.

And ya'll crazy that don't like Jackman. He's been carrying these movies seriously for 13 years, and he pushes to have stuff done as well as possible, he doesn't just mail it in. I know sometime in the future he will be replaced, but he's done a great job in the films he's done so far. Even X3 wasn't on him. :lol:

Didn't he tho? I was worried before I saw the movie but he did his thing.

Back
Top Bottom