THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So am I. Can't learn without hearing opposing viewpoints.

This is a also a crazy take to me.

i've seen the point raised before but haven't really delved into it. the overarching theme is that millionaires and billionaires rarely, if ever, actually provide that much value to society. they've just accumulated enough wealth to be able to capitalize off of other's labor.

there's also the humanitarian aspect of "how can people struggle with poverty, homelessness, starvation etc when others have more money than they would ever need".

not agreeing or disagreeing one way or the other, just posing a argument i've seen raised

Those magic johnson tweets weren’t actually magic johnson tweets:smh:
giphy.gif

Interesting. Especially if the blazers don’t make the playoffs.

Wiz are worse than the Blazers though.

Bealv should make an all NBA team this season though. No way it'll be the 1st one. Luka and Harden got that one on lock. Could see Dame and Russ getting 2nd team as well.

re: Payments

Whatever someone pays you is what you are worth.
Agreed. I think it was Barkley that said it the first time I heard that. 'They shouldn't have paid him $100 million' or 'This guy isn't worth $32 million' or 'So-and-so isn't worth $8 million.' If that's what somebody paid him, that's what he's worth. 🤷‍♂️

Conversely, if somebody is sitting at home like 'All I'm getting is offers under $20 million. I know I'm worth more than that,' obviously not. 🤷‍♂️

Beal should be 1st team all NBA, right? Him and Harden were the best 2 guards in the league
Can't see him beating out Luka or Dame. Luka could potentially get his team to a 4 seed. Dame and the Blazers might sneak into the playoffs. Advanced stats favor both Luka and Dame. Only thing Beal has them on is PPG because he averaged a couple more attempts.

Luka has both beat in REB, AST, PER. Dame has both beat solidly in TS%. Dame and Luka with the same WS/48.

re: Payments

Whatever someone pays you is what you are worth. TO say, "So and so should never make X amount of $" yea, whatever. Easy to say when YOU aren't that one.
This has changed how I view wealth inequality forever. I used to think it was a symptom of a system that promotes greed over equity. But now I see it's just that women are inherently worth less than men and minorities are inherently worth less than white people. Guess all those black people purposefully cut out of US social programs that built middle class white wealth just weren't worth the money.

The economic divide in this country is pretty egregious, so I get the discussion. Seeing generations of people make several millions off of equity alone while others scrape by working 60 hours a week is a tough pill.

Athletes shouldn't be the whipping boy of the discussion though. It's a macro issue.

The economic divide in this country is pretty egregious, so I get the discussion. Seeing generations of people make several millions off of equity alone while others scrape by working 60 hours a week is a tough pill.

Athletes shouldn't be the whipping boy of the discussion though. It's a macro issue.
Athletes ironically are in the same position as the everyman. It sounds ridiculous when you look at someone making millions of dollars but they're exploited as well. Their labor generates far more wealth than they're ever given by their employers.

Agreed. I think it was Barkley that said it the first time I heard that. 'They shouldn't have paid him $100 million' or 'This guy isn't worth $32 million' or 'So-and-so isn't worth $8 million.' If that's what somebody paid him, that's what he's worth. 🤷‍♂️

Conversely, if somebody is sitting at home like 'All I'm getting is offers under $20 million. I know I'm worth more than that,' obviously not. 🤷‍♂️
I don’t agree

Think about an extremely overpaid athlete, the Allen crabbe or whoever.

I’ll accept the statement that the team who paid up “thought” the player was worth that much - at the time. That doesn’t mean the player IS worth that much.

What if an undrafted guy comes in a balls out on a minimum contract, is that their worth? It’s what someone was willing to pay. That’s not the same thing as their worth.
Is Lebron worth his contract? Or is he worth way more? Of course he is

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom