THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the difference?

covering it up in the 90s: you don't think it was absolutely beneficial to the NBAs image to keep under wraps that it's literal top star was a gambling addict who could have been gambling on nba games? if i was stern, i'd want that buried as deep as possible too. the nba would survive it, but it's a huge black mark on the integrity of the game.

keeping it under wraps now: what's the point of unearthing it? unless some DA is decided on catching the killer, I can't think of any benefit in unearthing 25 year old gambling allegations. Not to mention, no DA's office is approving the expenditure of resources to go into a 20+ year old murder.

Nice. There’s a reason why it’s a running joke in our profession that a lawyer’s answer to any legal questing always starts with “it depends...”

because any time we give advice, y'all wanna come back with "BUT YOU SAID _______________". speaking in conditional terms like "it depends" gives us leeway to present all the options/outcomes with protection against malpractice suits and grievances when y'all don't like the results.

and my contrarian non contrarian take on Mike 1st retirement and NBA conspiracies in general is...

that none of the NBA conspiracies are true.

hte idea that David Stern banned mike from basketball and they both never spoke about it to anyone for the rest of their lives is totally insane and belies everything we know about human beings ability to keep secrets.
I dunno man , NBA draft 'lotteries' have felt pretty shady/too coincendental some years :lol:

ny_g_ewing_sy_576.jpg

rose_stern1_080626.jpg

03.jpg

Didn't realize it was two teenagers that killed his dad (allegedly or whatever). I was too young at the time to really follow along. Was it always widely assumed that it had to do with his gambling and not just a stick up of an old dude in a Lexus?

Right. Like a few things can be true. Mike got into it with some shady dudes, and had a debt.

An old dude in a new Lexus was taking a nap...and a crime of opportunity happened and turned into a murder.

Or....them peoples Mike was into it, with....Killed his pops. Left his body in a car on the highway. Two people stumble across the new Lexus. Try to dump the old man out, and get pinned for the murder.

covering it up in the 90s: you don't think it was absolutely beneficial to the NBAs image to keep under wraps that it's literal top star was a gambling addict who could have been gambling on nba games? if i was stern, i'd want that buried as deep as possible too. the nba would survive it, but it's a huge black mark on the integrity of the game.

I guess you think that makes it ok

I dunno man , NBA draft 'lotteries' have felt pretty shady some years :lol:

ny_g_ewing_sy_576.jpg

rose_stern1_080626.jpg

humans can't keep those kinda secrets man.

Just about any secret that involves more than 2 humans is getting out. :lol:

Look at it like this, the Cold War;

Russia and America two super powers engaged in a war of secrets and propaganda with the fate of the planet and possible consequence of nuclear war anhilating life on earth looming...

and near as I can tell both sides weren't really capable of keeping any secrets for any really extended period of time. everything leaked eventually. :lol:

but youre telling me David Stern got it locked up in a way Mikahil Gorbechov and Ronald Reagan didn't? :lol:

because any time we give advice, y'all wanna come back with "BUT YOU SAID _______________". speaking in conditional terms like "it depends" gives us leeway to present all the options/outcomes with protection against malpractice suits and grievances when y'all don't like the results.

Preaching to the choir, Sir.

I only refer to it as “joke” because my Mom, who is also a lawyer, told me a long time ago that the standard lawyer’s answer is “it depends,” and it makes me chuckle because of just how true it is, based on my own career.

Look at it like this, the Cold War; Russia and America two super powers engaged in a war of secrets and propaganda with the fate of the planet and possible consequence of nuclear war anhilating life on earth.

Comparing the Cold War to a professional sports league burying some underhanded moves in ordered to prop up the league and franchises?

#NTExtremes

Nice. There’s a reason why it’s a running joke in our profession that a lawyer’s answer to any legal questing always starts with “it depends...”
My whole life summed up:
"I have a question"
"Here's a 30+ minute answer"

All I asked was if Mike could be prosecuted. Next thing I know I'm hearing about how my sister could sue me in civil court if I cost us our mother and how professional hits are typically carried out with a real world example being given.

Comparing the Cold War to a professional sports league burying some underhanded moves in ordered to prop up the league and franchises?

#NTExtremes

that exactly my point man. Human beings can't keep real really really important secrets.

but somehow they are gunna keep **** that really doesn't matter like NBA gambling controversies secret?

nah man bet against it, :lol:

I guess you think that makes it ok

understanding why someone might have done something =/= condoning someone doing that something.

what would you have wanted to see happen back then?

understanding why someone might have done something =/= condoning someone doing that something.

what would you have wanted to see happen back then?
Lol. Yall keep making this about what I want to happen. Isn't it normal for people to face consequences for their actions? Why is that a hot take?

Lol. Yall keep making this about what I want to happen. Isn't it normal for people to face consequences for their actions? Why is that a hot take?

Bruva man. Multiple people have said yes and that he faced consequences in the form of his father's death That consequence appears to be inadequate for you so we are simply asking for your take on a suitable punishment. If you don't wish to answer the question that's fine just please say so.

Bruva man. Multiple people have said yes and that he faced consequences in the form of his father's death That consequence appears to be inadequate for you so we are simply asking for your take on a suitable punishment. If you don't wish to answer the question that's fine just please say so.
It started off with saying the truth should be buried because it would be a bad look for the league. Then someone said Pete rose died for MJ's sins and that should be enough. If yall are cool with it who am I to argue?

It started off with saying the truth should be buried because it would be a bad look for the league. Then someone said Pete rose died for MJ's sins and that should be enough. If yall are cool with it who am I to argue?

No one is asking you to argue either. We are, however, asking you this - what you think an appropriate consequence would be for Michael Jordan if the rumors are true?

I look forward to your response!

No one is asking you to argue either. We are, however, asking you this - what you think an appropriate consequence would be for Michael Jordan if the rumors are true?

I look forward to your response!
There should be no consequences. I don't want the NBA to lose any money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom