THEE OFFICIAL 2019-2020 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD: VICTORY LAP

Which team is most overrated? (Pick two)

• Clippers

• Celtics

• Seventy Sixers

• Bucks

• Rockets

• Nuggets

• Jazz

• Nets

• Warriors

• Pacers

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Activist Kyle

Woke Kuzma

Bouta hit different when he starts wearing John Lennon glasses and putting a cringe philosophical spin on everything.

'I don't want to shoot the ball anymore. It did nothing to me. Non violence my brother. Peace be unto you'
“it would be rhude of me to not be me in this life”

From a player's perspective, playing at Disney world sounds more lame now that it's clear that they can't roam around freely at Disney world.

If Disney world was open only to the players, their family and related personnel and they was free to roam around, I think that'd have been fun for all involved lol. Like one long party.

That picture doesn't definitively show that, Kuz.

There are a lot of people and companies that will say they stand with black people but they're just saying that so they did don't get bashed; that is obviously true. A picture of Drew Brees kneeling literally has nothing to do with that, but people aren't trying to hear that conversation.

If I have the opinion that everyone who likes kids loves the show Teletubbies, and someone says that they hate Teletubbies, that does not mean that they hate kids. When we attach meaning to something, it's possible that the meaning we have attached does not apply to everyone, all the time, no exceptions.

We have to be careful that the meaning we attach to things doesn't literally and always mean the thing that it seems like it could mean.

What Drew Brees said was insensitive and off topic. Instead of focusing on the issue that brought Kaep to his knees, Drew spoke on how important a piece of fabric is to him. Off topic and insensitive on that issue does not definitively and definitely mean that he does not stand with black people in the fight against police brutality, nor does it definitively and definitely mean that he does not stand with black people overall. It means he spoke off topic and insensitively on the issue of kneeling during the national anthem.

Saying that his comment was simply "off topic and insensitive" therefore we can't take anything away from it seems like letting Drew off the hook pretty easy. It's impossible to tell what any stranger is thinking whether its an NFL superstar or a regular on NT. We can only go off their words and actions. I don't really think it's necessary to break down the semantics of his answer to know that he made a fool of himself and publicly made his stance on the matter rocky at best. Based on him previously kneeling then making the statement he did is highly contradictory and shows ignorance and a shade of indifference regarding the matter which is what Kuzer was pointing out.

From a player's perspective, playing at Disney world sounds more lame now that it's clear that they can't roam around freely at Disney world.

If Disney world was open only to the players, their family and related personnel and they was free to roam around, I think that'd have been fun for all involved lol. Like one long party.

Why would they roam the park when they can walk down the hall and play their buddies in Call of Duty in-person instead of online?

So what are the players and their families going to do for 2 months? Their kids and girls gonna be bored to death.

So what are the players and their families going to do for 2 months? Their kids and girls gonna be bored to death.

IDK, things are really starting to open up in a lot of places. The families may end up having more options for things to do than the players. LOL.

Saying that his comment was simply "off topic and insensitive" therefore we can't take anything away from it seems like letting Drew off the hook pretty easy. It's impossible to tell what any stranger is thinking whether its an NFL superstar or a regular on NT. We can only go off their words and actions. I don't really think it's necessary to break down the semantics of his answer to know that he made a fool of himself and publicly made his stance on the matter rocky at best. Based on him previously kneeling then making the statement he did is highly contradictory and shows ignorance and a shade of indifference regarding the matter which is what Kuzer was pointing out.

Factor in that Brees is also a bible-thumping white dude from Texas. Relatedly, he was affiliated at one time with a conservative Christian group that’s openly against LBGTQ rights (although he claims not to have known that at the time).

I think at the end of the day he’s probably an overall nice guy, but have my suspicions that he doesn’t have the most enlightened views on issues of discrimination and equality.

IDK, things are really starting to open up in a lot of places. The families may end up having more options for things to do than the players. LOL.

That seems counterintuitive to me. "Let's keep the players under tight quarantine restrictions and limit what they do but allow their families who they'll share quarters and be in close contact with go wherever". If that's the case will they be receiving constant testing as well? I also imagine this would make contact tracing troublesome when trying to determine who came in contact with an infected player.

That seems counterintuitive to me. "Let's keep the players under tight quarantine restrictions and limit what they do but allow their families who they'll share quarters and be in close contact with go wherever". If that's the case will they be receiving constant testing as well? I also imagine this would make contact tracing troublesome when trying to determine who came in contact with an infected player.

I was referring to the families being at home (wherever that may be); not with the players in the “bubble.” My impression was that the families weren’t going to Orlando. But I might have gotten that wrong.

Drew Brees never kneeled during the anthem and he always from the beginning let his beliefs be known he did not believe that during the anthem was the right time to protest, people just forgot over the years. That picture of him kneeling was when he had all of his teammates kneel with him as a team BEFORE the anthem then they all stood up as a team for it.

It wasn’t the right time to remind people what his views were on it but Brees is the furthest thing from racist. And this is coming from someone who hates the Saints.

I was referring to the families being at home (whenever that may be); not with the players in the “bubble.” My impression was that the families weren’t going to Orlando. But I might have gotten that wrong.

Ohhh my bad. Looks like the families of players will arrive after the first round of the playoffs and only three members of a player’s family can visit at one time.

Factor in that Brees is also a bible-thumping white dude from Texas. Relatedly, he was affiliated at one time with a conservative Christian group that’s openly against LBGTQ rights (although he claims not to have known that at the time).

I think at the end of the day he’s probably an overall nice guy, but have my suspicions that he doesn’t have the most enlightened views on issues of discrimination and equality.

This seems accurate and I think it unfortunately could apply to a lot of folks.

Drew Brees never kneeled during the anthem and he always from the beginning let his beliefs be known he did not believe that during the anthem was the right time to protest, people just forgot over the years. That picture of him kneeling was when he had all of his teammates kneel with him as a team BEFORE the anthem then they all stood up as a team for it.

It wasn’t the right time to remind people what his views were on it but Brees is the furthest thing from racist. And this is coming from someone who hates the Saints.

I wasn't aware of the origin of the pic in Kuzers' post. I don't recall Brees' comments from the time or that moment but thank you for clarifying.

I wouldn't say he is racist but based on his comments one could take away that he is potentially tone-deaf, insensitive or ignorant.

I also hope your sports fanhood wouldn't cloud your thoughts and judgement about whether the player of a team is a racist or not.

So what if I said the following?

----------------
It seems like you think Drew should literally fry in an electric chair for what he said, and I'm not accepting anything other than what it seems like you're saying, so that's definitely what you're saying.

It's unfortunate that you think Drew should no longer be allowed to live. It seems like that's what you're saying, so that's what you're saying.

Ultimately, what you're saying is that what it seems like someone is saying is definitely what they're saying. We can't know for sure what a stranger is saying; all we can do is go by their words and actions, so placing heavy emphasis on what it seems like, placing heavy emphasis on our interpretations, placing heavy emphasis on the meaning we've attached is perfectly acceptable. My interpretation is that you think Drew should be killed for what he said. There's nothing you can say to back away from you thinking that Drew should be killed, because me thinking that it seems like you're saying that, that's now definitive, as all I can go by is words, and your words have indicated that you think he should serve a death sentence. So that's it.
---------------------
Wouldn't that be lazy of me? That's not a matter of semantics at all, but 'semantics' is a dismissal that's increasing in popularity. Semantics is the difference between accurate or correct, or describing a food that's high in temperature as hot when you meant hot in spiciness. This is not a matter of similar words meaning the same thing but being nit picked. Pointing out that someone did not say what is placed on them is not a matter of semantics. "My interpretation is definitely what you meant" is not semantics.

The reason this is important is because now the focus is on someone who multiple teammates have said does stand up for black people and severely misspoke on the Kaep kneeling issue. Now the focus is on him instead of people that honestly and truly don't stand with black people when it comes to police brutality, or standing with black people period.

But because of both stubborn interpretations and being married to narratives, collectively people are going to stick with the trending opinion of Drew, and follow through with that by labeling those black teammates of his that have accepted his apology or people like Screaming A that have accepted his apology, they're sidesteppers.

It really comes down to accepting that someone can have different beliefs that are ok while being on the same page with a larger belief that we all need to be on the same page about.

What I recall from a few years ago with the NFL is that the protests were going on. It was a not a particularly big story. Then Trump had one of his MAGA-Klan rallies and said any “son of a *****” who kneels during the anthem should get cut. The protests then became a huge, national story.

The first slate of games after Trump’s statement, all teams did something to show support for the protestors. Like, I distinctly remember Jerry Jones taking a knee while holding hands with a couple Cowboys players.

Then like a week later the league was forcing guys to stand for the anthem and most owners fully supported it.

Things are DEFINITELY opening up in Orlando. But allowing the families to go hang doesn't really bode well for this bs bubble experiment. And if they won't let them hit Disney world, can't see them letting them hit the mall or restaurants either. Orlando is about to be big time packed. Like...insanely packed. Summer time is the time we all avoid because of how insane it is. Universal opened yesterday and it was a sea of people. Few masks, no distance.

The reason this is important is because now the focus is on someone who multiple teammates have said does stand up for black people and severely misspoke on the Kaep kneeling issue. Now the focus is on him instead of people that honestly and truly don't stand with black people when it comes to police brutality, or standing with black people period.

But because of both stubborn interpretations and being married to narratives, collectively people are going to stick with the trending opinion of Drew, and follow through with that by labeling those black teammates of his that have accepted his apology or people like Screaming A that have accepted his apology, they're sidesteppers.

I am not saying it's right but you and I both know how it is in the Court of Media. Unfortunately all it takes is one soundbite for the world to think they know everything about you for better or worse.

It really comes down to accepting that someone can have different beliefs that are ok while being on the same page with a larger belief that we all need to be on the same page about.

I am capable of accepting that but he just conflated the issue of disrespecting the flag and peacefully protesting police brutality.

Things are DEFINITELY opening up in Orlando. But allowing the families to go hang doesn't really bode well for this bs bubble experiment. And if they won't let them hit Disney world, can't see them letting them hit the mall or restaurants either. Orlando is about to be big time packed. Like...insanely packed. Summer time is the time we all avoid because of how insane it is. Universal opened yesterday and it was a sea of people. Few masks, no distance.

I’m with you. Soon as I heard the resort was going to be open to the public, I questioned whether “the bubble” really was a better, safer option than teams just using their regular gyms/arenas with no fans present.

FearlessParchedBelugawhale-size_restricted.gif

They’re pumping crowd noise into the Dortmund/Hertha match....

1591461830801.jpeg

It’s on FS2, for anyone that’s curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom