Thee Official LeBron James = Scottie Pippen and Dywane Wade = Michael Jordan for the 2011 Finals

Most these dudes in here just can't grasp the concept of "team". It's not their fault. They just don't get it.

[h1]LeBron James And The Mistaken Case Of The Shrinking Superstar[/h1]
Emma Carmichael — In last night's post-game press conference, CBS Sports controversialist Gregg Doyel took the mic and asked LeBron James about his fourth quarter performances in the postseason. The fourth quarter, Doyel suggested, is when "superstars become superstars" (a confusing idea of evolution in itself), and James has been "shrinking" from that call. A few hours later, we saw exactly what narrative that question was intended to feed — Doyel's column, which is entitled "LeBron James: Story of an incredibly shrinking superstar."

James, as you can see in the video above, did not take Doyel's accusation lightly. He pointed out that he is a "two-way player," and that the reporter wasn't recognizing his defensive play in the game or throughout the playoffs, and finally suggested that Doyel watch the film again so that he "can ask a better question tomorrow." Instead, Doyel went and filed the story he had half-written before he even gave James a chance to speak:
That's what I'll remember about James from Game 3. His shrinkage, and how it continued a series of shrinkages. After three games in these NBA Finals, James has scored nine points in the fourth quarter. That's total. That's three points a game in the fourth quarter, which means in crunch time LeBron James becomes Joel Anthony.

It's not really worth pointing out that Doyel is trolling here. But the fact that, four years after we last debated LeBron's crunch-time shrinking, he still thinks this is a viable way to get a rise out of people is proof that we're still completely missing the point of the Heat and especially LeBron. His whole career has been dedicated to the proposition that a player can completely dominate a game in any number of ways, only one of which is scoring lots of points by himself. The Heat with Wade and Bosh offered a living testimony to that idea.

But ever since The Decision, we've labored under the idea that the team was a monument to ego. That's why there's now a discussion about whether James would be disappointed if Dwyane Wade won the finals MVP award. And that's why "shrinkage" has to matter. (You wonder: Had James taken over the fourth quarter instead of Wade last night, might Doyel have considered him an engorged superstar?) Doyel wants us to see Miami as a team in a constant struggle against itself, when what we've really engaged in is a struggle against our perception of a team and the reality of that team.

The assumption that LeBron should be disappointed in his Game 3 play relies on the mistaken impression that he a) does not take pleasure in seeing a teammate succeed and b) does not take pride in his defense, which, as others have pointed out, has been outstanding. It also perpetuates this idea that the Heat are still struggling to find a clutch man, when in fact it mostly underscores the point that for Miami the clutch man can be any of three guys. The wonder of watching the Miami Heat in both the Eastern Conference finals and the NBA finals has been watching them close out each win differently. We've seen both Dwyane Wade and James (and yes, even Chris Bosh) take control in different ways, and it's frightening how easily they're able to share that burden.

But we want James, along with Bosh and Wade, to be the %$!@@@# narcissists that we assumed they would be just under a year ago precisely so we can turn around and call them %$!@@@# narcissists. After all, we're not dealing with just any team. This is LeBron's team. This is the man we dubbed the King on the team we decided was Evil, and any amount of goalpost-moving could be justified so long as we could feel safe in saying Lebron and the Heat were doing the Wrong Thing, whatever they were doing. Last night, something happened that usually gives the Doyels of the world a series of full-body orgasms. The best player on the floor passed the ball instead of shooting it. He made the smart play but not the alpha dog play, and today some grumpy people are snarking all over him for doing so. The only thing that's shrunken here is our idea of what a great basketball player should be.

[h1]LeBron James And The Mistaken Case Of The Shrinking Superstar[/h1]
Emma Carmichael — In last night's post-game press conference, CBS Sports controversialist Gregg Doyel took the mic and asked LeBron James about his fourth quarter performances in the postseason. The fourth quarter, Doyel suggested, is when "superstars become superstars" (a confusing idea of evolution in itself), and James has been "shrinking" from that call. A few hours later, we saw exactly what narrative that question was intended to feed — Doyel's column, which is entitled "LeBron James: Story of an incredibly shrinking superstar."

James, as you can see in the video above, did not take Doyel's accusation lightly. He pointed out that he is a "two-way player," and that the reporter wasn't recognizing his defensive play in the game or throughout the playoffs, and finally suggested that Doyel watch the film again so that he "can ask a better question tomorrow." Instead, Doyel went and filed the story he had half-written before he even gave James a chance to speak:
That's what I'll remember about James from Game 3. His shrinkage, and how it continued a series of shrinkages. After three games in these NBA Finals, James has scored nine points in the fourth quarter. That's total. That's three points a game in the fourth quarter, which means in crunch time LeBron James becomes Joel Anthony.

It's not really worth pointing out that Doyel is trolling here. But the fact that, four years after we last debated LeBron's crunch-time shrinking, he still thinks this is a viable way to get a rise out of people is proof that we're still completely missing the point of the Heat and especially LeBron. His whole career has been dedicated to the proposition that a player can completely dominate a game in any number of ways, only one of which is scoring lots of points by himself. The Heat with Wade and Bosh offered a living testimony to that idea.

But ever since The Decision, we've labored under the idea that the team was a monument to ego. That's why there's now a discussion about whether James would be disappointed if Dwyane Wade won the finals MVP award. And that's why "shrinkage" has to matter. (You wonder: Had James taken over the fourth quarter instead of Wade last night, might Doyel have considered him an engorged superstar?) Doyel wants us to see Miami as a team in a constant struggle against itself, when what we've really engaged in is a struggle against our perception of a team and the reality of that team.

The assumption that LeBron should be disappointed in his Game 3 play relies on the mistaken impression that he a) does not take pleasure in seeing a teammate succeed and b) does not take pride in his defense, which, as others have pointed out, has been outstanding. It also perpetuates this idea that the Heat are still struggling to find a clutch man, when in fact it mostly underscores the point that for Miami the clutch man can be any of three guys. The wonder of watching the Miami Heat in both the Eastern Conference finals and the NBA finals has been watching them close out each win differently. We've seen both Dwyane Wade and James (and yes, even Chris Bosh) take control in different ways, and it's frightening how easily they're able to share that burden.

But we want James, along with Bosh and Wade, to be the %$!@@@# narcissists that we assumed they would be just under a year ago precisely so we can turn around and call them %$!@@@# narcissists. After all, we're not dealing with just any team. This is LeBron's team. This is the man we dubbed the King on the team we decided was Evil, and any amount of goalpost-moving could be justified so long as we could feel safe in saying Lebron and the Heat were doing the Wrong Thing, whatever they were doing. Last night, something happened that usually gives the Doyels of the world a series of full-body orgasms. The best player on the floor passed the ball instead of shooting it. He made the smart play but not the alpha dog play, and today some grumpy people are snarking all over him for doing so. The only thing that's shrunken here is our idea of what a great basketball player should be.

Originally Posted by OnionSlice

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

so ya'll go gonna act like I didn't make the DC comic/Big 3 comparison before the pic?
No, I'm just gonna act like I don't know who you are altogether, because I don't.
great response.  have a blessed day

Originally Posted by OnionSlice

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

so ya'll go gonna act like I didn't make the DC comic/Big 3 comparison before the pic?
No, I'm just gonna act like I don't know who you are altogether, because I don't.
great response.  have a blessed day

Wow i'm surprised this thread has so many posts. I feel as if I accomplished something
pimp.gif

I thought about it today and it makes no difference if LeBron defers to DWade to get the win. Winning is winning period, i'll admit i'm alittle salty my Lakers didn't make it but LeBron IS doing what is necessary to win, whether it be guarding Jason Terry or Barea. So therefore I will fall back on my criticism of LBJ and give him his props for doing what is necessary to win his first title. Being a former college basketball player myself, I would do the same if it meant winning.

Wow i'm surprised this thread has so many posts. I feel as if I accomplished something
pimp.gif

I thought about it today and it makes no difference if LeBron defers to DWade to get the win. Winning is winning period, i'll admit i'm alittle salty my Lakers didn't make it but LeBron IS doing what is necessary to win, whether it be guarding Jason Terry or Barea. So therefore I will fall back on my criticism of LBJ and give him his props for doing what is necessary to win his first title. Being a former college basketball player myself, I would do the same if it meant winning.

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Dude wants no part of the basketball in crunch time. Dallas is begging him to do something and he cannot. It's clear this is DWades team. Let's Discuss.

Wade does not equal MJ 
laugh.gif

Dude wants no part of the basketball in crunch time. Dallas is begging him to do something and he cannot. It's clear this is DWades team. Let's Discuss.

Wade does not equal MJ 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Iamjusayn

Wade does not equal MJ 
laugh.gif

Did you not just read the last post in this thread? 
eyes.gif

Wade does not equal MJ 
laugh.gif

eyes.gif

Wade does not equal MJ 
laugh.gif

eyes.gif
Do you see what i commented on...your first post/thread is what i commented on so a "last" post is irrelevant to my comment 
grin.gif

Wade does not equal MJ 
laugh.gif

eyes.gif
Do you see what i commented on...your first post/thread is what i commented on so a "last" post is irrelevant to my comment 
grin.gif

laugh.gif
dudes are unreal, theyll say anything and bend reality to @%+ on my guy lebron

can he win with yall?

laugh.gif
dudes are unreal, theyll say anything and bend reality to @%+ on my guy lebron

can he win with yall?

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by bilbo07

Originally Posted by Al3xis

yall have real short memories.

Wade owes this to his team after the crap he put forth vs Chicago. Bron got him here. If he closes the deal, that's the beauty of that team.
qft
roll.gif
@ lebron stans

dude seriously do not want to give any credit to Wade

the beauty of the team is that lebron got them to the finals by himself? If I remember correctly Wade was hitting clutch shots vs Chicago as well.

You know this xpopocatepl is losing it now. Comparing kobe to wilks and anthony. Prime example of a dude that will not be enjoying Wade getting his second finals MVP.

*looks at avy* *looks at sig*. Not gonna waste my time.

Originally Posted by knightngale

Originally Posted by bilbo07

Originally Posted by Al3xis

yall have real short memories.

Wade owes this to his team after the crap he put forth vs Chicago. Bron got him here. If he closes the deal, that's the beauty of that team.
qft
roll.gif
@ lebron stans

dude seriously do not want to give any credit to Wade

the beauty of the team is that lebron got them to the finals by himself? If I remember correctly Wade was hitting clutch shots vs Chicago as well.

You know this xpopocatepl is losing it now. Comparing kobe to wilks and anthony. Prime example of a dude that will not be enjoying Wade getting his second finals MVP.

*looks at avy* *looks at sig*. Not gonna waste my time.

Originally Posted by hustleordie

Originally Posted by BC2310

I skimmed through this. 
Has anyone mentioned how LBJ will run and hug Wade or try and celebrate with him after he makes a great play? (throughout the playoffs not just finals) 
Sometimes it seems totally one sided and almost awkward, like Wade is way cooler/mature/confident. 

It's almost like Lebron is Allan and Wade is Phil from the Hangover 
laugh.gif

That said, Lebron is a freak and more talented on both ends IMO, but Wade has the killer instinct/leadership. 

He doesn't have to try to be the leader. He just is.

Don't get me wrong they're both Alpha but from what I've observed it seems like Wade is Alpha 1A and Bron is Alpha 1B. 

Regardless of their stats. Wade just seems like Big Brother and LBJ seems like he looks up to him 
glasses.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I had this exact same conversation with my buddy last night. The perfect example is when DWade was getting interviewed after the game and as soon as he's done Lebron is waiting for him to dap him up. Lebron starts walking to the locker room and Wade walks the opposite directions to congratulate Bosh on his winning shot and Lebron stops and follows him. Lebron is clearly the better player, but he is definalty Alpha 1B. It's almost like Eddie House and KG. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. 
I'm not mad at anyone and I'm all about team and Wins. It's just an observation.

From my observations throughout the playoffs, I'd go as far as saying:

Lebron is a Wade Stan 
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by hustleordie

Originally Posted by BC2310

I skimmed through this. 
Has anyone mentioned how LBJ will run and hug Wade or try and celebrate with him after he makes a great play? (throughout the playoffs not just finals) 
Sometimes it seems totally one sided and almost awkward, like Wade is way cooler/mature/confident. 

It's almost like Lebron is Allan and Wade is Phil from the Hangover 
laugh.gif

That said, Lebron is a freak and more talented on both ends IMO, but Wade has the killer instinct/leadership. 

He doesn't have to try to be the leader. He just is.

Don't get me wrong they're both Alpha but from what I've observed it seems like Wade is Alpha 1A and Bron is Alpha 1B. 

Regardless of their stats. Wade just seems like Big Brother and LBJ seems like he looks up to him 
glasses.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
I had this exact same conversation with my buddy last night. The perfect example is when DWade was getting interviewed after the game and as soon as he's done Lebron is waiting for him to dap him up. Lebron starts walking to the locker room and Wade walks the opposite directions to congratulate Bosh on his winning shot and Lebron stops and follows him. Lebron is clearly the better player, but he is definalty Alpha 1B. It's almost like Eddie House and KG. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed. 
I'm not mad at anyone and I'm all about team and Wins. It's just an observation.

From my observations throughout the playoffs, I'd go as far as saying:

Lebron is a Wade Stan 
glasses.gif

Back
Top Bottom