There Are More Hispanics in the United States Than We Thought

I just find it sad when Hispanics, black, working class folks frown upon people with darker skin complexion. In my neck of the woods at least they view lighter skin as near perfection.
This is so weird but true. I’m super light and my brother who shares the same mom is darker like her. She loves us both but as I grew older, I’ve always noticed she’s praised me more to her friends and family in regards to my looks. Hell, if I look back on my life, a lot of darker skinned Latinas and black girls have more openly been attracted to me than the lighter ones.

That’s extremely sad to hear man. I know a lot of Mexican gangs have ties to cartels etc now but I remember hearing that the Mexican Mafia was started in American juvenile prisons as a way for Mexican dudes to team up and defend themselves after getting raped/ beat up back in the day.

I definitely wish there was more black and brown unity out there. We are both oppressed people who have the power to make more change together.

I’m black and from the Midwest btw if it matters.
A lot of these gangs started out with good intentions and as a means to protect themselves and ended up becoming the entirely different entities we see today. Crips, Mexican Mafia and a gang a little closer to my family’s culture, MS-13.

Salvadorans migrated heavily to LA to escape the Civil War in El Salvador in the 80’s and had to group together to protect themselves from Mexicans, Blacks, Asians. Now look at what they’ve become. :smh:

I remember when I went to El Salvador, we had to legit avoid certain roads because of possible kidnapping scenarios. One of my aunts lived on an island and at it’s peak, there’s a cemetery. Sometime after my visit, MS infiltrated the island, set up shop in the cemetery and even the military wouldn’t go up there to confront them.

Wave of Hispanic Buyers Boosts U.S. Housing Market
Homeownership rate for Hispanics has increased more in recent years than any ethnic group

im-89763

https://www.wsj.com/articles/wave-of-hispanic-buyers-boosts-u-s-housing-market-11563183000?mod=e2tw

The homeownership rate for Hispanics has increased more during the past several years than any race or ethnic group, including whites. The rate, which hit a 50-year low in 2015, has risen 3.3 percentage points since then, according to U.S. Census Bureau data. The overall U.S. homeownership rate bottomed in the second quarter of 2016 and has grown 1.3 percentage points since then.

While Hispanics comprise only 18% of the U.S. population, the group accounted for nearly 63% of new U.S. homeowner gains over the past decade, according to the National Association of Hispanic Real Estate Professionals. New homeowners include people buying first homes and those coming back into the market after a foreclosure.

Minorities bore the brunt of the 2008 housing bust and their return to homeownership has been mixed. African-American homeownershiptumbled to an all-time low in the first quarter of this year.

Now, a growing population of young Latinos increasingly eager to buy homes offers fresh hope to a slowing housing market, where sales of existing homes have fallen on an annual basis for the past year.

Hispanics and blacks saw significant gains in homeownership during the housing bubble, aided by lenders that targeted minority buyers with risky loans that eventually led to wide-scale foreclosures. The Hispanic homeownership rate hit a high of more than 50%, before plummeting 6 percentage points over the next eight years, according to census data.

Houses in Hispanic communities were 2.5 times more likely to be foreclosed upon than homes in white communities between 2007 and 2015 while homes in black communities were twice as likely to be foreclosed on, according to an analysis by Zillow.

Many come from countries where credit and mortgages aren’t available so they are used to buying homes in cash. Ms. Boston will sometimes tell buyers to come back when they have been in the same job for two years so they can qualify for a mortgage.

Lenders are also targeting Hispanics
. These borrowers took out 9.4% of mortgages in the U.S. last year, versus 5.8% at their recent low point in 2010, according to ComplianceTech’s LendingPatterns.com.

Eva Angelina Romero, a real-estate agent in Nashville, said that more small lenders are offering programs geared to Hispanic buyers. One uses a tax identification number instead of a social security number, which a buyer wouldn’t have if undocumented. She said that while most of her clients used to be non-Hispanic, now 80% are Latino.

Hispanics at 18% of the population already? I thought they were just around the same % as the black demographic in the country?

Tensions Worsen Between LAPD and ICE Over Trump Immigration Raids

Tensions worsen between LAPD and ICE over Trump immigration raids

As word spread about a national ICE operation expected to result in thousands of arrests, local officials tried to reassure immigrants in L.A. LAPD Chief Michel Moore said that ICE would target about 140 people in Southern California.

In a video shared last week, Moore also stood beside Mayor Eric Garcetti as he told residents they did not have to open their doors for an ICE agent who does not have a warrant signed by a judge.

The LAPD chief’s actions have provoked anger among ICE officials.

Marin said he felt the chief’s actions made ICE’s job harder. “We see that as they’re really putting politics ahead of public safety,” he said.

Those tensions are especially evident in California, where local law enforcement must abide by a “sanctuary” law, Senate Bill 54, which went into effect last year to provide protection for immigrants in the country illegally. In L.A., the police department stopped engaging in joint operations with ICE that directly involve civil immigration enforcement and no longer transfers people with certain minor criminal convictions to ICE custody.

After Trump took office, the department found itself grappling with a drop in crimes being reported by Latinos. From January to April 2017, there was a decline of more than 23% in sexual assault and a dip of more than 8% in domestic violence incidents reported by Latinos, according to the LAPD.

Over the weekend, protests were held in cities including Los Angeles, Chicago, Denver and Philadelphia. At one immigration detention center in Washington state, a man armed with a rifle and throwing incendiary devices died Saturday after four police officers arrived and opened fire.

Back
Top Bottom