There Will Be Blood...for those who saw it, what did you think?....spoliers

Eli Sunday and Daniel Plainview are two of the best characters I have seen in a movie in a long time.

I watched this the other day, and it definitely lived up to the hype. The way that both Sunday and Plainview dealt with one another during the movie wasincredible to see.

Spoilers below

From the church scene where Sunday made Plainview say "I have abandoned my child," to the bowling alley scene where Plainview made Sunday say "Iam a false prophet, God is a superstition," my goodness.....
eek.gif

Also, when Plainview disowned his son towards the end of the movie was straight up ruthless...as if abandoning him on a train after he went deaf earlier in themovie wasn't enough
laugh.gif

I just can't say enough about the acting.

I read this on another website:

Daniel is a learned, self-made man who understands that we are what we make of ourselves. Everything he has, he worked for.

He looks at Eli and sees someone very much like him in some ways - manipulative, charming, crafty, silver-tongued - and yet completely the opposite in other ways. Eli has never worked a day in his life - notice that while Daniel is often down in the oil himself - especially in the early days - Eli does not pick up a single tool in the film. When his church is being renovated, Eli merely walks along the floor boards, watching the work go on.

Daniel is disgusted by Eli's idea that he is somehow "entitled" to money and power. He is also disgusted because he can see that Eli (like, I daresay, most people who ask for money on the behalf of the divine) does NOT believe what he is doing or saying.

What do you think of Eli not picking up a tool during the whole movie? Interesting observation....

Like I said before, the movie lived up to the hype. Did you all enjoy it?

I absolutely enjoyed it! When I first saw it I was blown away by Lewis' acting but not so enthused about the movie itself. When I watched it again however,I realized just how good the movie was. It was much better the second (and third) time.
laugh.gif

that is true... i loved it gonna get it on blu ray when it comes outt

fav quote

Plainview: Well, if it's in me, it's in you. There are times when I look at people and I see nothing worth liking. I want to earn enough money that Ican get away from everyone.

sometimes i feel the same way

Word. The last scene was just
eek.gif
. Daniel had Eli by his wings and sonned him to oblivion. DRAINAGE!!!! sllllllllllhhhhh!

The last scene where he starts off with "If I have a Milkshake..." is completely amazing. I was engulfed by this movie, the cinematography, themusic, etc.

I thought the movie was boring.

But the acting was great, and the cinematography was outstanding. I thought the score pulled a "Collateral" and was a little distracting at times,especially in scenes where the music denoted a typical buildup, yet just seemed to carry on without end...

I like movies where the dailogue doesn't talk TOO much (ie, No Country for Old Men, Cast Away, etc), and we are left with just the actors faces andreactions to tell the story. I think those are the most deserving of acclaim. This was one such film...

laugh.gif
But I still thought it was boring.

I personally though this was better than No Country For Old Man. As someone who is has some antipathy for organized religion this movie was definitely up myalley. I thought this was the greatest acting performance I had ever seen. He really became a character. I still need to read the book though. Daniel'scharecter reminds me of a quote from HL Mencken.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it."

I've only seen it once, but this may be one of my all time favorites. One of the most incredible performances I've ever seen.

I love how for the first few mins there is no dialogue, but you understand completely what type of man Plainview is. The movie sure lives up the the title
glasses.gif

it was very impactful. grand, even

lots of detail -- great art direction, costumes, set design, camerawork, etc

daniel day lewis seemed to physically transform himself right in front of the viewer

it still lacked a little something for me though

w15t11.gif

I didn't wanna read too much of the thread cuz of spoilers but.... WHAT is it about? Is there any blood (serious question)?

Originally Posted by DearWinter219

I didn't wanna read too much of the thread cuz of spoilers but.... WHAT is it about? Is there any blood (serious question)?

yes

took too long to develop so i stopped watching it about an hour in i think.. i`ll go back to that site and watch though

Originally Posted by IIcn

yes

Is it like.... I... brokemynoseorcutmyfingerandI'mbleedingalittlebitbutitdoesn'treallyrelatetothemoviebecauseit'snotlikesomebodyshotmeorstabbedmeoranything-typeblood, or is it like the good type of blood?

Originally Posted by IIcn

yes

Is it like.... I... brokemynoseorcutmyfingerandI'mbleedingalittlebitbutitdoesn'treallyrelatetothemoviebecauseit'snotlikesomebodyshotmeorstabbedmeoranything-type blood, or is it like the good type of blood?

Here's a list of what scenes I remember blood was shown

-a drill bit falls on a worker's head

-Daniel shoots somebody for impersonating his brother in the head

-a bowling pin + skull = ouch

^Oh... damn. But the movie is still good though right? I got it over here on leg and I'm seriously debating watching it RIGHT now cuz of you guys.

Back
Top Bottom