Think I’m about to get scammed on eBay…

So I just sold a pair of shoes, but I have reason to believe I may have an issue with the buyer.

I received multiple messages over the past three days, from three separate buyers, all with no buying history and accounts that were created this month.

One buyer said the shoes looked like reps, so I told him not to buy and put him on the “blocked buyers list.”

Then tonight I received a series of messages saying the shoes weren’t worth the price I was asking considering the condition and ”I could get a better deal on goat” and yada, yada, yada. Also from an account set up a few days ago. so I told him to take the goat deal and put him on the blocked list. An hour after that the shoes sold…to a buyer with one transaction on an account set up this month.

There’s almost no doubt in my mind that it’s the same guy, operating under different accounts. I have a very bad feeling that if I put these shoes in the mail I’m gonna get burned by a scam artist. Sellers have little to no protection in these situations.

What would you do?

If you already got paid for them I would just ship them. Just make sure you send with tracking that's the most important thing. If they tried saying "not as described" I would see Ebay siding with you over a brand new user.

. Sellers have little to no protection in these situations.

What would you do?
send the shoes out. You actually have a lot of protection as a seller on eBay. As soon as they hit the Authenticator, your money is good.

If you’re truly concerned, call eBay and let ‘em know you’re worried and they’ll help

send the shoes out. You actually have a lot of protection as a seller on eBay. As soon as they hit the Authenticator, your money is good.

If you’re truly concerned, call eBay and let ‘em know you’re worried and they’ll help
Thanks for the response.

I’m just worried about an unscrupulous buyer trying to pull a fast one.

Complains that the shoes aren’t in the condition as describEd…files a claim and tries to get a refund. Stuff like that happens and there’s not a lot that sellers can do to fight it.

I think you have to put a “No refunds No returns” in your auctions. Not only as an options on your listings but also in writing in your description portion of the listing. It’s super flimsy but it’s what the ebay rep will look at if your customer files a complaint case.

Last edited:
Their authenticity guarantee program should keep you safe on this. Once they get authenticated and shipped on to the buyer, there's not much he can really do. That program cuts down the majority of that old switcheroo/charge back scam stuff. Because eBay saw them first and deemed them good, there really isn't much room for misinterpretation.

Had a similar one happen earlier this week. I couldn’t find the “immediate payment required” box when I created the listing and some user with 2 feedback and a strange user name bought my “18 Black Cement 3’s. I already knew this troll wasn’t going to pay. I cancelled the order and selected “address discrepancy” as the reason. Blocked the user as well.

Thanks for the response.

I’m just worried about an unscrupulous buyer trying to pull a fast one.

Complains that the shoes aren’t in the condition as describEd…files a claim and tries to get a refund. Stuff like that happens and there’s not a lot that sellers can do to fight it.
Did you get paid?

That’s why they say don’t sell anything you’re not afraid to lose. Unfortunately eBay sides with the buyer 90% of the time due to the “money back guarantee” and scammers know that but they’re only allowed a certain amount of times to scam before eBay catches on…

Back
Top Bottom