Thinking about taking a job at Genentech in South SF...where to live?

jackiechizzan

Banned
i'm currently working/living in davis right now, so it's not THAT far from south SF, but i think i'd be miserable if i had to commute back and forth 5 times a week. 

what areas should i look at?  how much should i expect rent to be?  is it possible to find a 1-bed apt for <$1200?  i prefer to have my own pad, but i dont mind rooming with people.

my bro has been to get a job at genentech for the longest time. he also considered south sf. good luck man.

Genentech has their own commuter line, and it runs all over the Bay Area. I know there's definitely a stop on the Castro Valley/Hayward border, another one in Emeryville, and another one in Oakland. I'm fairly sure that you'll have an easy commute regardless, seeing as they drop crazy dough on carpool subsidies. I know Castro Valley has pretty decent one-bedrooms within $1000/mo, I know because I'm looking around the area myself.

^ yea, but there arent any job openings that i'm qualified for. the south SF campus has tons.

Yawningglory: yea i know about their commuter line and the carpool system. i can even take the one at vacaville to take me to south SF, but that'll probably take more than 2 hours each way. i'm trying to cut my commute time to less than 45 mins. i dont know much about bay area neighborhoods and where i should start looking for apartments. i just know to stay out of richmond
laugh.gif

any other suggestions on where to look?

In that case, I'd probably go with something in Hayward or Newark. You'd be close to the San Mateo Bridge, which is closer to South City than the Dumbarton or Bay Bridge. You -might- be able to find something in Foster City that fits your price range, but I'm not really sure about South City...though that's nothing some ballparking on Craigslist wouldn't help.

I currently work at Genentech, great company. What department/building is the job located?

my co-worker jus got a fat 1 bedroom off of airport blvd. u can def find soomething nice for 1200 in south city,dc, brisbane or san bruno for sure

Jorh:  when i say "taking a job" i meant "applying for a job"
laugh.gif

grin.gif
  but i'm currently working in a lab that produces monoclonal antibodies...so i'm looking at the immunology department.  i see a couple of RA positions on the job postings website that i think i'm pretty qualified for.  what do you do?  can you put in a good word for ya boy? 
nerd.gif
laugh.gif

thanks for the suggestions guys, i'll check them all out.

Find an available bedroom in a house in Daly City + Sublease your Davis residence if you're still under a lease =
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom