This Frank Ocean still goes hard.....*Official Thread*

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

Frank Ocean truly is a marketing genius.. Just with one letter he has everyone listening to his old music searching for hints and clues, while at the same time gaining publicity for his new record

Originally Posted by Cement Greyman

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Good music is good music...couldn't care less about the sexual orientation of the artist.
QFT.

People like "Thinking bout you" must be about a dude, damb that song sucks now.  Please the meaning of the song can be subjective to your own experiences and how you see the song.  I love Frank's music idc if this is a publicity stunt, if he really is gay or bi or whatever.

*puts pyramids back on loop

Everything in the industry is a business move

Way to make this announcement two weeks before your album comes out kiddo

Outside of novacaine and no church in the wild I never really listened to him so ehhhh

never listened to him outside his hooks on WTT....
peeped his mixtape yesterday cause i never thought i'd see nt jock for a gay singer after he came out so i had to see what was up 
laugh.gif

and some of his songs are 
eek.gif

that "strawberry swing" track is 
pimp.gif

i'll keep peeping his music as long as he keep the ayo stuff out....i mean we all knew luther was gay but he kept it out his music

He about to gain alot of new people. Tuesday before he put the letter on his tumblr he had 840k followers on twitter. In a day went up a 100k. He almost at a million.

Props to Def Jam too, for letting the man be himself. I know they probably seen the potential $/publicity behind it as well, but record labels usually aren't about taking these kind of risks, especially on potential stars.

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Originally Posted by superblyTRIFE

Originally Posted by xblaze23

I don't hate him for his sexual orientation but I don't respect him more for it. I don't understand why these dudes are glorified.
Agreed.  At this point, sexual orientation means nothing to me and has no bearing on whether or not I listen to a certain artist.  
But him "coming out" also means nothing to me, either.  I'm not giving anyone props for being who they are.  Why?  Because we're in the year 2012 now, which is the same argument people use against anyone who may oppose being gay (which I do not).  

If we can say "its 2012--get over the fact that there are gay people out there", then we can also say "cool coming out story, bro--its 2012 and there are gay people out there".  

I guess my point is that this shouldn't be a big deal.  He's gay/bi in 2012.  Shocker.  
It shouldn't be a big deal but look at how people in this thread are acting. Thinking about not listening to his music. Hating that it had to be him. Disappointment. There's no reason to glorify him but don't act like everyone is like you are. A lot of people, even in 2012, are not okay with gays, especially gay men. This will effect the way he's viewed as an artist sadly, so the fact that he came out with it instead of hiding it is respectable. 

I agree.

Originally Posted by calikev34

Yo.
Frank is gunna do NUMBERS

Do you know how many fans dude gained with this *#@@? The LGBT community and their allies are going to eat this *#@@ up.

People will but the album because of this act and all the courageous talk that will come with it. 

Thousands of people who never heard of him before will give him a listen- potential fans; the guy is extremely talented.

Let alone the fans that he had before this went down!

But to drop this *#@@ 2 weeks before an under-advertised debut album?

Never heard of anything like this!

I don't know whether to call it a cheap ploy or a genius idea. 

PS

Sexual orientation is another social stratification. Means nothing. 

Were all bisexual. The only question is to what degree

Naw Bruh we agree to disagree on ya last statement, speak for yaself with that one. I still like his music though that wont change but i hear the lyrics now and i do scratch my head smh oh well.

About a year and a half ago my ex was playing one of his songs while we were in the car and I said "This @$*$% sound gay as hell" and turned it off. She got all mad about it.  Turns out I was right 
laugh.gif
Don't really like his music anyways, so I don't care who he likes. I'm sure his sales will be high though.

I really don't know how to feel. Thinking About You is my #*%$, but to hear that he has songs on his album that are specifically talking about men is disturbing. Sad to say, but I honestly don't think I can listen to him anymore.
frown.gif
But maybe I will. It kinda threw me off guard when NPH came out, but I still enjoy How I Met Your Mother and his character is still my favorite.

Yo.

Do you know how many fans dude gained with this *#@@? The LGBT community and their allies are going to eat this *#@@ up.

People will but the album because of this act and all the courageous talk that will come with it. 

Thousands of people who never heard of him before will give him a listen- potential fans; the guy is extremely talented.

PS

wee-bey-gif.gif

wee-bey-gif.gif

Originally Posted by puffin85

Yo.

PS

Naw Bruh we agree to disagree on ya last statement, speak for yaself with that one. I still like his music though that wont change but i hear the lyrics now and i do scratch my head smh oh well.
Never listened to dood

^ industry probably knew well before hand. they had to wonder why his reference tracks he sold to female artists were so on point 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Brown

Originally Posted by prison mike

^ Ye is gay tho.

first thought that came to my mind
frown.gif

WISEPAROAH dropped the dime on all these fools like a year ago in General forum. Ye, Diddy, Russel Simmons, all these dudes are gay.

I really can't believe some of you in this thread are going to stop listening to his music, or your favorite songs by him because he is gay. Music is subjective, it means different things to different people, why let his sexual orientation determine what the song means to you now?

It was perfectly fine a few days ago...stop being childish.

Originally Posted by prison mike

I really don't know how to feel. Thinking About You is my #*%$, but to hear that he has songs on his album that are specifically talking about men is disturbing. Sad to say, but I honestly don't think I can listen to him anymore.
frown.gif
But maybe I will. It kinda threw me off guard when NPH came out, but I still enjoy How I Met Your Mother and his character is still my favorite.
i try to say i don't care, because i really do like dudes music..
but i know everytime i listen to him from now on the thought of him singing about messing with dudes is gonna keep popping into my head
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

I really can't believe some of you in this thread are going to stop listening to his music, or your favorite songs by him because he is gay. Music is subjective, it means different things to different people, why let his sexual orientation determine what the song means to you now?

It was perfectly fine a few days ago...stop being childish.
"Music is subjective, it means different things to different people"
right, exactly. so how is it a problem if some people feel differently about his music? it could be fine for YOU, but everyone has a different perspective/viewpoint towards music. 

I'm genuinely curious:

For those who have suggested that they are now averse to Ocean's music, how has his music changed for you?

Back
Top Bottom