This Frank Ocean still goes hard.....*Official Thread*

coming out was great for marketing....

and gay folks buy a lot of albums....im happy for him...

but..regardless if he likes testies or ovaries, his music is still fire...

Originally Posted by DT43

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

I really can't believe some of you in this thread are going to stop listening to his music, or your favorite songs by him because he is gay. Music is subjective, it means different things to different people, why let his sexual orientation determine what the song means to you now?

It was perfectly fine a few days ago...stop being childish.
"Music is subjective, it means different things to different people"
right, exactly. so how is it a problem if some people feel differently about his music? it could be fine for YOU, but everyone has a different perspective/viewpoint towards music. 

For example, ppl listening to a gangster thug rapper because of their street cred. Then come to find out they never been in jail or commited a crime in their life. Folks gettin fooled all the time. This aint nothing new. But, I truly think this frank ocean deal is a ploy.

Originally Posted by ps2child

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

I really can't believe some of you in this thread are going to stop listening to his music, or your favorite songs by him because he is gay. Music is subjective, it means different things to different people, why let his sexual orientation determine what the song means to you now?

It was perfectly fine a few days ago...stop being childish.
"Music is subjective, it means different things to different people"
right, exactly. so how is it a problem if some people feel differently about his music? it could be fine for YOU, but everyone has a different perspective/viewpoint towards music. 

For example, ppl listening to a gangster thug rapper because of their street cred. Then come to find out they never been in jail or commited a crime in their life. Folks gettin fooled all the time. This aint nothing new. But, I truly think this frank ocean deal is a ploy.

This. He was smart. He gained a 150k twitter followers in a day. Almost @ a million.

to everyone saying this is a marketing ploy.. i dont blame you because i initially thought the same thing. i know the timing is right before the album drops.. but what he did still took a lot of courage. marketing ploys are beefs, interrupting award speeches or those fake celebrity couples. id like to believe that this is more than that.

and more power to those people think that this isnt a big deal. im glad it isnt for a lot of people. but you cant say that this isnt a big deal for the larger hip hop community and the black community in general. how many openly gay male figures do you see in music? much less black ones?

him coming out didnt really change anything for me. i liked his music before and when his album drops, im still gonna cop. good music is good music.

laugh.gif
 at people thinking this is some marketing ploy. malcolm gladwell wrote an article about this - people make up conspiracy theories in place of realities they can't understand or aren't comfortable with. well real life is christopher breaux loved a man, wrote songs based off that experience and you sang along... accept it, think it over, and act accordingly... 
laugh.gif

1st track I hear about a man I'm finger rolling that joint into the trash and keeping it moving

Dudes are coming out the woodwork.. Some who arent even fans or listeners of his music... to give him some jabs... dudes are lames...

Originally Posted by prison mike

Originally Posted by Mr Brown

^ Ye is gay tho.

first thought that came to my mind
frown.gif

WISEPAROAH dropped the dime on all these fools like a year ago in General forum. Ye, Diddy, Russel Simmons, all these dudes are gay.

hmmmm: 
Frank Ocean shocked the music community yesterday when he released an open letter that revealed he was gay.
Russell Simmons Calls Frank Ocean's Bravery a 'Game Changer'

Def Jam co-founder Russell Simmons, has now thrown his support behind the 24-year-old singer, calling his bravery a game changer for Hip-Hop music.

"Today is a big day for hip-hop. It is a day that will define who we really are. How compassionate will we be? How loving can we be? How inclusive are we? I am profoundly moved by the courage and honesty of Frank Ocean. Your decision to go public about your sexual orientation gives hope and light to so many young people still living in fear. These types of secrets should not matter anymore, but we know they do," Simmons wrote.

"His gifts are undeniable. His talent, enormous. His bravery, incredible. His actions this morning will uplift our consciousness and allow us to become better people. Every single one of us is born with peace and tranquility in our heart. Frank just found his."

"Frank, we thank you. We support you. We love you," Simmons wrote on his website Global Grind.

What are you waiting for Russel???
glasses.gif

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

Originally Posted by illfrozn

Originally Posted by Cobra Kai

I love this answer. for the simple reason, you can't relate to rappers who talk about drugs. rappers who rap about cash or smashing dimes. kanye on mercy. or any song that rick ross has ever made.
You're a lame. 
So, his opinion is wrong or invalid because you say so? Not saying I agree or don't agree, but really??
wrong or invalid? not at all. narrow minded? extemely.
as i said. look at how much music you can't relate to but listen to everyday.

2002-2006. none of us could relate to anything dipset was rapping about. 

795157ee32552dad6bc40b9c522699ebbe32e27.gif

im from uptown
pimp.gif
tongue.gif

was listening to strawberry swing, when I heard the line "there wasn't room for you and I, only you...goodbye..goodbye"..kinda sums it up. I still mess with the music because dude is truly talented. I can't deny that it does affect the way I look at some of his older tracks, but people relate to music however their past experiences allow them to. For me, I look forward to CO and will keep that 64 song mixtape and Nostalgia in rotation.

Not completely sold yet. Until he comes out in plain text: "I'm a bisexual or gay man." Not some thank you's for an album.
They're thank you's...he's already in a full scale, big picture mindset - he's a songwriter!...do u know how easily he could of intentionally planned to troll us and flip the script
and say  the "him" he was referring to is music. "The come out" ("The decision"
laugh.gif
) was well written but still vague enough that it could apply to music.

"4 summers ago, I met somebody" [music]
"We spent that summer together and the summer after. Everyday almost." [music]
"Time would glide." [music!!!!!]
"I'd hear his conversation and his silence until it was time to sleep [music!!!!]
"It was hopeless...no escaping...no negotiating..."  [music!!! Once you're into creating music it takes over your u ]
"I reminisced about the songs I enjoyed as a teenager... I realized they were in a language I didn't speak yet [music]
"He wouldn't tell me the truth about his feelings for me for another 3 years. I felt like I only imagined his reciprocity for years."
[You got a love for something but you're looking for and u wont that acknowledgment and success. He was demoing for Def Jam but his solo +%@+, him an artist, was on the back burner.]
"I kept up a peculiar friendship because I couldn't imagine keeping up my life without him [music]
"I'll remember who I was when I met you." [Music. His Career is taking off...he wont forget his artistry or compromise]

Damn near most of that thank u, u could apply to music. Maybe I'm reaching...maybe I'm not 
grin.gif

If he's gay...It is what it is...it wont change his music.

Sexual orientation aint ever cross my mind when listening to music. I'm listening for craft.

I believe it, listen to We All Try.

On another note, I'm sick of all this gay talk. Why haven't I seen a video for any of his tracks when his album drops in 2 weeks
nerd.gif

laugh.gif
 at people thinking this is some marketing ploy. malcolm gladwell wrote an article about this - people make up conspiracy theories in place of realities they can't understand or aren't comfortable with. well real life is christopher breaux loved a man, wrote songs based off that experience and you sang along... accept it, think it over, and act accordingly... 
laugh.gif
lol can't it be both?

I really don't know how to feel. Thinking About You is my #*%$, but to hear that he has songs on his album that are specifically talking about men is disturbing. Sad to say, but I honestly don't think I can listen to him anymore.
frown.gif
But maybe I will. It kinda threw me off guard when NPH came out, but I still enjoy How I Met Your Mother and his character is still my favorite.
i try to say i don't care, because i really do like dudes music..
but i know everytime i listen to him from now on the thought of him singing about messing with dudes is gonna keep popping into my head
30t6p3b.gif

I know what you mean. And what scares me is that the journalist that first dropped the news claims that some of his songs (on CO) are clearly directed to a man.

I guess another person I could compare this to is Tevin Campbell. I'm Ready is one of my favorite RnB albums ever, and finding out he's gay didn't change that. As long as Frank keeps it out of his music, I'm fine with that.

Originally Posted by True Blues

I'm genuinely curious:

For those who have suggested that they are now averse to Ocean's music, how has his music changed for you?

The issue with me is that CO supposedly has tracks directed towards a man. I can't sit there and listen to a guy sing about another guy.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
lol can't it be both?

yea i was more so speaking to the people thinking 'he" is music or that he's going to say he's just kidding after the album comes out.

Originally Posted by fac3 tak30v312

Frank Ocean truly is a marketing genius.. Just with one letter he has everyone listening to his old music searching for hints and clues, while at the same time gaining publicity for his new record

I don't normally quote myself but needed to for dukes basically comparing the marketing aspect of this to the WWE. It's so simple, so elegant, simply genius
Originally Posted by YaBoyDiddy

Not completely sold yet. Until he comes out in plain text: "I'm a bisexual or gay man." Not some thank you's for an album.
They're thank you's...he's already in a full scale, big picture mindset - he's a songwriter!...do u know how easily he could of intentionally planned to troll us and flip the script
laugh.gif

"I'd hear his conversation and his silence until it was time to sleep [music!!!!]
"It was hopeless...no escaping...no negotiating..."  [music!!! Once you're into creating music it takes over your u ]
"I reminisced about the songs I enjoyed as a teenager... I realized they were in a language I didn't speak yet [music]
"He wouldn't tell me the truth about his feelings for me for another 3 years. I felt like I only imagined his reciprocity for years."
[You got a love for something but you're looking for and u wont that acknowledgment and success. He was demoing for Def Jam but his solo +%@+, him an artist, was on the back burner.]
"I kept up a peculiar friendship because I couldn't imagine keeping up my life without him [music]
"I'll remember who I was when I met you." [Music. His Career is taking off...he wont forget his artistry or compromise]

Damn near most of that thank u, u could apply to music. Maybe I'm reaching...maybe I'm not 
grin.gif

Sexual orientation aint ever cross my mind when listening to music. I'm listening for craft.
I think you're spot on.. which makes this genius. If you're a woman you could relate to this, if you're a gay man you could relate to this,  if you're a straight man you could change all the him to her, all the man to woman and relate to this. This is what songwriting used to be.. Honestly this is the androgyny of the 80s, unless of course he starts singing about explicitly blowing guys back out of course 

laugh.gif

grin.gif

Naw, your def reaching.

laugh.gif

grin.gif

Naw, your def reaching.
Especially since his mother, and Tyler have confirmed it.

Back
Top Bottom