Thoughts on a topic - lets talk about it. RESALE

starting 2021 any item or items over $600 in a calander year will be required to be reported

as of now a person who sold 600 items or $20,000 in a year is required to report for tax (1099k)

all online merchant is required to file a 1099k

the profit margin is bad enough with fees. thanks to the feds its about to get much slimmer

only ppl making money off reselling is the middle man (ebay/mercari/posh/stockx/whatever) and the bank

I don't think anybody really sees a problem with an individual selling shoes from their collection. We've probably all done it. It's when people have a plug/bot to scoop up as many shoes as they can right before a release to sell that most don't care for.

I'm not for making anything illegal though. We're already gonna get screwed next year if anything sold totals over $600. It's the little people who get hurt.

starting 2021 any item or items over $600 in a calander year will be required to be reported

as of now a person who sold 600 items or $20,000 in a year is required to report for tax (1099k)

all online merchant is required to file a 1099k

the profit margin is bad enough with fees. thanks to the feds its about to get much slimmer

only ppl making money off reselling is the middle man (ebay/mercari/posh/stockx/whatever) and the bank

There's a loophole though. I haven't read the legislation since it first got brought up late last year or early this year or whenever it was, but it's not going to stop reselling for the small guys or the like "cook groups" or whatever. Maybe someone else in here remembers the loopholes. If not I can dig up the old thread and find my posts.

Not mad at any resellers if people are gonna go buy. Only have issue of they were telling essential items for everyday livelihood. For some sneakers, I couldn't care less

How do you all feel about buying fakes? It seems the attitude towards them have changed and resellers are a big part of what's driving the shift on views.

How do you all feel about buying fakes? It seems the attitude towards them have changed and resellers are a big part of what's driving the shift on views.
I'm against it. I think calling it a flaw in character might be harsh, but something doesn't sit well with me if you feel to need wear fakes of high value items knowing there's worthy authentic products at either the same or lower costs.

I'm against it. I think calling it a flaw in character might be harsh, but something doesn't sit well with me if you feel to need wear fakes of high value items knowing there's worthy authentic products at either the same or lower costs.
What if it's a fake of something they can't get their hands on, reselling for twice the price?

That's really what I'm referring to

Its about not having a choice. They cheat to get the products , taking them out from under our noses then selling them back to us at 1000% markup.
You don’t need anything you pay resale for 🤷🏽‍♂️YOU choose to participate in it. All for cheap child made shoes too

I don’t partake in fakes but if someone told me they purchased them so they didn’t have to spend 500+ on shoes I get it.

My only gripe with fakes is when people try to buy them and sell them as real. Beyond that I could care less.

There's a loophole though. I haven't read the legislation since it first got brought up late last year or early this year or whenever it was, but it's not going to stop reselling for the small guys or the like "cook groups" or whatever. Maybe someone else in here remembers the loopholes. If not I can dig up the old thread and find my posts.

my understanding was it was raised to 10k, but it’s in legislation that hasn’t even been passed yet. So still no certainty.

Can’t knock the hustle…

But resellers irk me. I have very rarely went for a shoe just for resale. And when I have I haven’t hit.
Resellers have always been a thing though, remember Tickle Me Elmo back in the day.

I don't agree with the notion of making it a more mass-produced item just for the sake of weeding out resellers or lowering the resale price. For things outside of shoes/clothing, I'll be a bit more understandable but that's the world we're living in right now.

Like working at Goodwill, there's a good amount of customers who strictly shop with them so they can resell items. I don't see nothing wrong with that in my eyes as it's a honest hustle. The store only usually frown upon those who asks for discounts on items to increase profit margins.

Less stock (1-2 size runs) than other places so the shoes still sell out.
yes, because I live in one of those states and live in a even smaller city in one. Lancaster, Ohio. and this is true, we are LUCKY to get 1-2 shoes per size if we get the drop at all.

yes, because I live in one of those states and live in a even smaller city in one. Lancaster, Ohio. and this is true, we are LUCKY to get 1-2 shoes per size if we get the drop at all.
You're not far from cleveland

not so sure that is true. if it were then there would be stores in those states with inventory, and there isn't.
I'm talking Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, Idaho, the Dakotas

You sound like you've never seen the store locator of the typical shoe release at any point in the past 12 years. Most states don't even get the shoes people want. Even before things got crazy

Plenty of states don't even have actual Nike stores. (Non factory Outlet/Clearance Stores) Wyoming doesn't even have a Footlocker

The vast majority of pairs go to stores in like 4-5 states max.

Last edited:
Sometimes the collective power of resellers trying to re sell at a certain price is greater than the collective demand of buyers who would like to pay less. Meaning, some buyers have a higher demand to pay higher resale prices, which will set the market value for an item after its retail release or if it was a charity bid release. It would take alot or basically all of the buyers to stop buying at resale to drop the resale prices to retail or even under retail to make some sort of change in the price of the after market against resellers.

But yes, it's unfair when 1 person with backdoor connections, proxies, or a bot is able to get 25 pairs at retail, while 25 people can't get 1 retail pair.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like asking a resale shop what factors go into their resale prices.

I support one I work real close to here in Houston, just more so, how’s does it work? Maybe I can get a idea and not come as rude.

It's interesting. When I see very high resale prices, e.g. Paris dunk sbs or 2005 pigeon dunk sbs listed for something like $30000-$60000, I'd think a reseller bought it for $15000 and added more markup for their profit.

Back
Top Bottom