Time to step up and get my Master's but first . . .

What websites did you guys use to look for Master's programs, I tried google but it keeps giving me the same websites that aren't really too helpful. I'm going for my MA in psychiatry, didn't do too hot in undergrad didn't really take it serious
ohwell.gif
. My plan is to look at the programs I would like to attend and even before I apply just talk and let them know my situation and see if I need to go and pick up some grades. Thanks fellas. 

Originally Posted by Lpheat22

Damn so I guess MA in counseling and then med school damn, looks like fun
At the end of the day while your in med school you can be working if you have your masters, so thats good.

What was your GPA if you mind me asking?

Why do you wanna be a psychiatrist?

grin.gif

You want to go to med school off of an MA in counseling??! 
laugh.gif

Bruh, if you don't mind me asking what did you major in for undergrad?

You're going to need a STRONG science background if you're trying to become a psychiatrist. The difference between psychiatry and psychology is night and day...

Scope out U.S. News grad school rankings to get an idea of decent schools to apply to if you plan on getting $$, and not that University of Phoenix ITT Tech +%*%!%#%..

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

grin.gif

laugh.gif

You're going to need a STRONG science background if you're trying to become a psychiatrist. The difference between psychiatry and psychology is night and day...

Scope out U.S. News grad school rankings to get an idea of decent schools to apply to if you plan on getting $$, and not that University of Phoenix ITT Tech +%*%!%#%..
very true

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

At the end of the day while your in med school you can be working if you have your masters, so thats good.

Ya I really, really slacked off, it was a 1.4 and I didn't even realize it was that bad till I checked it out the other day
frown.gif
. Cod 4 came out and I was playing baseball, bad mix
tired.gif
I originally wanted to get into sports psychology then I got this job working at a group home with kids that have mental disabilities and it totally changed my career choice. Just seeing how some kids are over medicated and others aren't medicated enough and being able to add my input into their programs, at the end of the day with some clients it honestly feels like i'm making a difference. Plus seeing these reports on how some facilities are prescribing kids medications that they don't even need and are harming them in the process
mad.gif
 just doesn't sit right with me. I figure if I'm put in that position I'll definitely do anything it takes to do the right thing.

Originally Posted by MoreUptempo

grin.gif

laugh.gif

very true
Ya the longer i've worked in this job the more I noticed psychiatry wise I don't know jack !*@$ 
laugh.gif
 so I know i'll definitely be a little behind, though i'm using my job as kind of a daily tutoring session. 

Ya I really, really slacked off, it was a 1.4 and I didn't even realize it was that bad till I checked it out the other day
frown.gif
tired.gif
I originally wanted to get into sports psychology then I got this job working at a group home with kids that have mental disabilities and it totally changed my career choice. Just seeing how some kids are over medicated and others aren't medicated enough and being able to add my input into their programs, at the end of the day with some clients it honestly feels like i'm making a difference. Plus seeing these reports on how some facilities are prescribing kids medications that they don't even need and are harming them in the process
mad.gif
 just doesn't sit right with me. I figure if I'm put in that position I'll definitely do anything it takes to do the right thing.
a 1.4 for this semester or in general?

Thats where I wanna work with my degree.
embarassed.gif

Imma keep it hundred, 3.0 and up to get in any masters program. You are going to have to stay in school and take more classes to higher your gpa.

But why do you wanna be a psychiatrist if you dont want to drug kids up, thats exactly why I steered from that.

frown.gif
tired.gif
mad.gif

embarassed.gif

Imma keep it hundred, 3.0 and up to get in any masters program. You are going to have to stay in school and take more classes to higher your gpa.

But why do you wanna be a psychiatrist if you dont want to drug kids up, thats exactly why I steered from that.

1.4 general
Where do you live?

I figure all the good programs expect that, I spoke with some decent ones and they said gpa isn't as big as an issues i'll just have to take placement test and see from there

I have no problem medicating them I have a problem when some are over medicated for money reasons and others aren't receiving the correct medications.

frown.gif
tired.gif
mad.gif

embarassed.gif

1.4 general
Where do you live?

I figure all the good programs expect that, I spoke with some decent ones and they said gpa isn't as big as an issues i'll just have to take placement test and see from there

I have no problem medicating them I have a problem when some are over medicated for money reasons and others aren't receiving the correct medications.
Florida

Idk maybe we are talking about two different things cause in my school you cant graduate with a B.A/BS unless you have a 2.0 or higher

And all the master plans I looked up said 1000< on the GRE and 3.0 and up.
ohwell.gif

im confused

Most schools wont let you graduate with a 1.4 gpa. And 99.999% of grad schools wont even look at your application with a 1.4. Go to a community college and see if you take some classes to raise that gpa

1.4 general g.p.a. and you graduated? you can't  be serious

and I thought my 2.8 was atrocious
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by AZwildcats

Most schools wont let you graduate with a 1.4 gpa. And 99.999% of grad schools wont even look at your application with a 1.4. Go to a community college and see if you take some classes to raise that gpa
Once you graduate your gpa is set in stone. cant do nothing to it.

Ok I misread the transcript, it was a 2.6, so that's a lot better, still not good enough though. 

Ok I misread the transcript, it was a 2.6, so that's a lot better, still not good enough though. 
I had a feeling you read wrong. thats wayyyy better

I had a feeling you read wrong. thats wayyyy better
Ya I know
happy.gif

Back
Top Bottom