Tinker Hatfield's Original Air Jordan XI Sketches

Crazy that he took inspiration from a lawnmower, I wonder what aspect of that design he was looking to incorporate into the XI. 

Originally Posted by rcjbbp1313

Originally Posted by Mr718

air-jordan-xi-sketches-2.jpg

these look like fire, man i would grab these they look like a jordan 11 and a Shake Ndestrukt fusion..... im mad these wont release lol

My thoughts exactly

These sketches are proof that lots of times, the focus is about designing/testing/finalizing the tooling before the upper of the shoe.

Originally Posted by steveo870

these look like fire, man i would grab these they look like a jordan 11 and a Shake Ndestrukt fusion..... im mad these wont release lol

My thoughts exactly
If this design would have came out it would have been way before its time. These are clean tho
pimp.gif
would be nice to see a finished version.

I think those look extremely like girls shoes.Also, the side lacing and use of patent leatherWas used in some models of the air ndestruktAnyway. The final version of tge XILooks way better than any of those sketches.

Originally Posted by JFMartiMcDandruff

patent cut too short

JK

but seriously, Tinker, hell....all of the Nike designers should gather up all their sketches, put it in a book, sell it
There were a few in this book, including that exact pic from above with the lawnmower: Amazon product ASIN B001SAREBE
Also inside there's a lot of detail into the design of most of the shoes (up to the XX), if I recall. Been a while since I took it off the shelf. I do remember a very detailed story about how the concept for the III kept Michael Jordan at Nike.

EDIT: Someone mentioned spats earlier and the book talks about putting spats on the XVI. I think. Once again, it's been awhile.

The man is a visual genius. Had the opportunity to meet and greet with him. Saw some sketches, just pure amazing.

Nice artwork. Thanks for the pics. I wonder what the other preliminary sketches look like? (Sig)

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

air-jordan-xi-sketches-4.jpg

More preliminary work. While the colorways weren't set, the palette was
coming together nicely. Many at Nike remained skeptical of whether Mike
would even return to basketball, but Tinker kept the faith and kept
working. But we suspect not even he knew how it would pay off.

pimp.gif
They should release these colorways
pimp.gif
Both look sexy as fuark
smokin.gif

I agree
smile.gif

I wonder how many times he draws up designs for a shoe until he decides what to all use. Pretty cool to see his ideas on paper.

Back
Top Bottom