Tips for removing Barkeepers Friend powder residue on Jordan XI?

Well I finally found the sneaker maintenance post (man that thing is hard to find...lol) and I tried using barkeepers friend on the mesh of an old pair of 2001 retro Concords. I did two treatments. One with the BK friend to water solution having a milk-like texture which didn't whiten them very much. Then on the 2nd application, I went with a much thicker solution. This time, they whitened up a LOT, but there is so much residual white powdery substance left over that I can't really wear them. I've tried using damp paper towels to wipe off as much as I can, but it's still not working. Does anybody else have any pointers. Would a trip through the washing machine in a pillow case be a no-no? Or perhaps even the dishwasher. I just can't think of any other ideas.

Dang your first mistake was using bkf. The rit formula works waaay better. Plus it preserves the mesh, so it doesn't get flat like the way bkf does. If i were you i'de just soak the Concords in water and scrub them with a white towel till all the residue comes off.  Here are the results i had on my ds pair of 2000 concords using the rit method.I originally posted this in the maintenance thread last year.
Originally Posted by ccastro02

And here are the final results guys. this is after 5 applications of the rit.
Before:

After:

Crap...I was worried about that. The main reason I used barkeepers Friend is because I couldn't find rit around where I live. Is removing the insoles and running XI's through the washing machine a no-no?

never throw your shoes in the washer. Rinse it by hand.

They sell rit online on their website and on ebay. Wallmart and stop n shop sells every kind of rit.

Dang your first mistake was using bkf. The rit formula works waaay better. Plus it preserves the mesh, so it doesn't get flat like the way bkf does. If i were you i'de just soak the Concords in water and scrub them with a white towel till all the residue comes off.  Here are the results i had on my ds pair of 2000 concords using the rit method.I originally posted this in the maintenance thread last year.

And here are the final results guys. this is after 5 applications of the rit.
Before:

After:

Buy the shape and cut of those XIs, those are 1996
eek.gif
. But great job restoring them. 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom