Top 5 in the game RIGHT NOW (or at least since 2010)

Based on output, relevancy, album sales/mixtapes (with some exceptions), and personal opinion. Don't hate, just disagree if you feel differently and give your picks.

Spoiler [+]
2011_dates_eminem_2759.png

Can still spit better than most. Still outsells everybody. Appeal however? Not like it was from SSLP-TES. Also...please drop the stupid #+$ faux Twista flow. Thanks.

Spoiler [+]
rick-rossblk.jpg

Pictures-of-Pusha-T-Touch-It-Image-Photos.jpg

You should be glad I put you here with no sales to your name. But they got some singles, and the work with the albums/mixtapes
pimp.gif
Tie between the both of them. Actually, 4a Ross and 4b Push. There. I put six in my top five.

Spoiler [+]
jay-z-2010-e1276892226986.jpg

Just like his fellow elder statesman (Em), he can also still spit. Guest features are top-notch, but no LPs since '09 drops him to this spot.

Spoiler [+]
dl-kanye-west-2011.jpg

This board might hate MBDTF, but the critics don't, and he still got the sales and radio play from it. Guest work/production is also stellar. What's not to like? Oh yeah, some people out there are still salty about the Taylor Swift thing...

Spoiler [+]
tumblr_lkkyuhinoA1qek5pgo1_500.jpg

Love him or hate him, he's earned it. Let the debates between haters/stans begin.

Honorables:
Spoiler [+]
Nicki - can't front on her work. Would've put her as #5, but Em is still better to me right now.
Lupe - finally seeing some of that commercial buzz! Although LASERS was just so-so.
Wiz - built up the hype prior to Rolling Papers, then released a weedplate. Oh well. Still got them singles though, and mixtape work is solid.
Wayne- can move units anytime. And he SHOULD be in the top 5 (maybe after C4), but he ain't impress me like Ross/Pusha.
J Cole - The buzz is there, but can he play his cards right with the album?

I'm not the biggest Wiz fan anymore but any Top 5 list for right now that takes into account mixtapes, sales, buzz, output, and relevancy looks foolish without him in the Top 3.

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

^Put in honorable mentions. Don't think he's better than anyone in my top 5 right now.
Oh ok, so your list is just personal opinion then and not all the criteria you listed?

Originally Posted by Destination Kicks

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

^Put in honorable mentions. Don't think he's better than anyone in my top 5 right now.
Oh ok, so your list is just personal opinion then and not all the criteria you listed?  
laugh.gif
Damn fam, I said it's a mix of everything. He gets his due props, just don't think he outdid the top 5 imo.

You got a list or you just gonna nitpick mine?

Something like this... not necessarily in this order 

1. Eminem

2. Nicki Minaj

3. Lil Wayne

4. Kanye West

5. Rick Ross

Honorables: 

Wiz Khalifa

Big K.R.I.T.

J. Cole

Fabolous

Trae The Truth

Drake

don't like this list.. you say relevancy and album sales are a criteria yet you include Pusha?

I thought it was a general consensus that Em hasn't put anything good out in years. I understand that both Relapse and Recovery sold well, but as a Em fan I was seriously disappointed in both of them and will never go back and listen to either of them. I havent got a chance to listen to the album with Royce yet though

Not sure bout the order but anything any of these people touch, fans eat up
1.Ross (dudes gotta be the hottest in the game and started the whole Lex Luger BMF sounding Trend)
2.Wayne (Sold out tour first time around,extended tour to go back to the same cities which will also sell out but in a few weeks when the mixtape drops he'll be #1)

3.Nicki (Yup still see barbies)

4.Drake (Dreams money can buy/marvins room got everybody hyped for him again)

5.Kanye (He's Kanye)

Honorable mentions Eminem  (not a huge EM fan but meets all other criteria) Wiz(on fire right now but doesn't have people checking for any/every verse he does like the above) Big Sean(people will eat the album up he just needs to not fade away and drop a mixtape later on) Hov( anticipating watch the throne and He's Hov)

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

Originally Posted by DT43

don't like this list.. you say relevancy and album sales are a criteria yet you include Pusha?

exactly what i was thinking 
laugh.gif
These lists included some sales, commercial singles, etc. because I wanted to keep the list to dudes who at least got some commerical exposure under they belt. I'm not going purely on sales, otherwise Em would be a clear cut number one and some of these dudes wouldn't be even on the list. Just keeping a balance between sales and the mixtape scene. After that, I weighed it mainly on my opinion.

Push was a main feature on an album that went plat, and was also on a single that got plenty of radio play and was named on some top 100 songs of '10 lists. Also put out a mixtape that received plenty of praise. He's put in work.

This was mainly for discussion on who yall thought are the best right now, so if you disagree (and I don't care if you do), put yours up.

Originally Posted by maxb7ty

I thought it was a general consensus that Em hasn't put anything good out in years. I understand that both Relapse and Recovery sold well, but as a Em fan I was seriously disappointed in both of them
Recovery was a little better. Relapse was garbage. Even Em admits that Relapse was bad.

That's a real tough list...

Kanye
Jay-Z
Lupe
Jay Electronica
J Cole

No order...

Honarable Mentions -

Eminem
Big K.R.I.T.
Nas

Why do some people on NT feel the need to always complain and nitpick everything? The dude just started a simple thread and put some decent thought into it...it's not that bad of a list. It's actually pretty good, and of course its always going to be opinion based everything in this world is.
Why would you give him a hard time because his opinion is a factor in the list? 
eyes.gif

You're opinions aren't golden facts either sheesh...actin like real life wannabee A&R's all the time...

I like your list except i'd probably slide J.Cole into pusha's spot and put pusha in honorables. Maybe have big sean in the honorables too since his album came through. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by TennHouse2

Originally Posted by DT43

exactly what i was thinking 
laugh.gif

He said "with some exceptions and personal opinion". I could see Pusha being up there strictly on mixtape buzz.
Him and Big KRIT probably have the best mixtapes of the year so far.

Back
Top Bottom