Topics for first Presidential Debate on Oct. 3 announced.

I have friends on wall-street whose entire departments and subsequently company assets were swallowed up by larger firms trying to take the hits of other companies.

Thanks for reiterating my point for me. Did we really need 900 pages in the Dodd-Frank bill when reinstating the 37 page Glass-Steagall
which worked well for the previous 70 years would have been fine?

Economics are the weakest parts of debates IMO.

Presidents do NOT control the economy...nor are they responsible for job loses.

How come the president keeps blaming his predecessor for his situation then? Like it or not, the economy is always the #1 priority for voters whether it's stated or not. Every incumbent that has been reelected in the past century (except Roosevelt) has done so with a booming economy under their belt.

In regards to these two of the points you made:

Wouldn't 2002's Sarbanes-Oxley be that reinstating of legislation you're referring to? I'm no economist or finance person but I don't think Glass-Steagall did much to stop the likes of Enron, Worldcom and others. I don't think "reinstating" legislation that passed 76-77 years prior to Todd-Frank was much of an option. And I don't think Wall-Street regulation should be vilified at all - but that's my opinion.

And.

This is the first time since Roosevelt that we've seen such an economic collapse. One could argue that navigating the country from the brink of a catastrophe is more impressive than a "booming economy under their belt."

SOX & Glass-Steagall were completely different regulations. In summary, SOX required stricter accounting requirements for public corporations and required the CEO to personally sign off on the accounting of the company with risk of imprisonment if fraud was found. With Glass-Steagall, it separated retail banks (think deposits. much safer) from investment banks (investors & traders. much riskier). With the removal of that wall, it allowed banks to open investment departments and take bigger risks in order to gain bigger profits. Subsequently, one of the biggest proponents of this model was CitiGroup and was, IMO, the one responsible for TARP being implemented the way it was (forcing all 5 large banks to take it) in order to prevent a bank run on them which the FDIC couldn't afford to fund with the rate of bank failures back in late 2008-early 2009.

For reference, the Enron BK was $65B, Worldcom was $105B. By comparison, Wamu was $327B & Lehman Bros. Was $691B

Gotcha.

***Sarcasm*** No big deal, the war and military members still dying daily overseas is no big deal. I'm in the military, I don't care to know what my future looks like, when I'll leave my family again. No big deal***Sarcasm***

Newsflash: The United States will always be engaged in protracted conflicts abroad.

This should tell you all you need to know about your boy MITT...

Couldn't have made my decision any easier on vote day.

Last edited:
so i'm not the only one who thinks Obama comes off as a Condescending, arrogant person

To be president it does require an ego though.. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't have some form of ego issues that were president.

I don't think he really comes off as condescending though.

Last edited:
This should tell you all you need to know about your boy MITT...

Couldn't have made my decision any easier on vote day.
Be honest... that video had no impact on your vote whatsoever. Obama has flipped on many of those same issues too.
You cant be serious.

When/If Obama flips his position on something, he doesn't then go back. His transitions can be attributed to being a result of the accumulation of knowledge. Learning essentially.

Mitt will lie depending on who he's looking at and flop views. VERY different. 

so i'm not the only one who thinks Obama comes off as a Condescending, arrogant person
To be president it does require an ego though.. You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who didn't have some form of ego issues that were president.

I don't think he really comes off as condescending though.
I'm being COMPLETELY serious, I never knew people saw Obama as arrogant or condescending.

He is surely confident though. 

obama ain't really all that without a teleprompter.

son got swag, but da GOP primary was a trial by fire as far as im concerned..so mitt is prepared, either way its gonna be a GOOOOD debate.
Trial by fire? Romney as just the one candidate the party hated the least, and the only one who had ANY chance to beat Obama.

Last edited:
I'm being COMPLETELY serious, I never knew people saw Obama as arrogant or condescending.

He is surely confident though. 
All I read what Boston was saying is that he talks TOO well for a black man, and should stick to 2 syllable words like blacks in the movies.

The man has the toughest job in the world, and IMO Is damn good at his job.

Last edited:
MY GOD THAT SWAG WAS UNPARRELLED
sick.gif
BILL COULD HAVE GOT THOSE AFTER DEBATE YAMBS B.Homie def got those yambs he had too
nerd.gif
He still didn't really say anything here though. He just said nothing better than most people do now.

I didn't see the debate, I must of just missed it. I came home and flicked on MSNBC and this was on there and I knew it didn't go well for Barry.

And Romney dropped this gem?

What a ******g Fascist. So blatant with it. :rofl:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom