Toronto Set To Open Black-Focused Schools To Help The Drop Out Rate

I understand what they're trying to do

But this is a really bad idea...

Parents are going to be like "don't hang out with those kids at that school, they all carry guns"

Cannot believe they approved this idea

ohwell.gif
I don't see this working.

Segregating using smart tactics lol. They are doing them dirty
laugh.gif

how do you plan on educating a class full of kids that don't want to be there?

Not going to work IMO, but waits for the inevitable "why isn't there a white centric school then too" argument and "what are they going toteach? 2Pac? How to cook chitterlings in home ec?" jokes.

I think like always, adults are focusing on the wrong thing. The kids who are dropping out, aren't dropping out because they are tired of opening theirbooks and reading about white people. There are tons of other more important factors such as their home life, their own intrinsic motivation to succeed,basically similar to criminology theory you can apply here; strain theory.

Having some black teachers to potentially look up to as role models, and maybe a little more Langston Hughes and a little less Charles Dickens, isn'treally a terrible idea though. You obviously can't alter the curriculum so much that extended education becomes hindered, nor can you make it slower whichI think a lot of people tend to perceive is what's going to happen.

I heard some affluent, generally white, people complaining about this on the tv and shocked me. If anything, seems like they should like this idea since itkeeps the "bad people" all in one building and separate from their kids.

And it's not anymore segregation than HBCUs are or schools in culturally undiverse areas are. It's going to be a public school still. You'lldefinitely have mostly African Americans, Middle Easterners (which Toronto has a high population of), and Latin American inner city students though.

Ya, I wanted to bring this to General forum as well. It was posted in the Canada forum already. I wanted to hear the rest of the world (or pretty much the restof North America) views on this.

I think its a terrible idea. Short term fix for a long term problem.

Yeah, Seattle tried this and the school has the worst grades of any school in the district.

Originally Posted by BishopTwo2

so can someone tell me how black colleges work?

They started pretty much the same way everything "black" started. Once upon a time, black people couldn't attend regular schools so they hadto start their own, now known as History Black College and Universities. Since then, obviously now we can and the HBCU's continue to exist. Anybody iswelcome to attend however, and the diversity, even amongst just different types of black people, is more than many people would imagine. I have actually met ablack Japanese immigrant before at Fort Valley. Anyways, they're public so non blacks can and do attend and just like mainstream universities looking todiversify, there's financial aid and initiatives available for say white people who want to attend an HBCU. Nearest one to me is Langston though and itseems to be just a party school.

I think everyone in the Canada forum agreed that this was a bad idea. I think some kids attending this school may have trouble interacting with non-blacks.

How different is interacting with black people from interacting with nonblacks though? You have schools in some places equally as white, or equally as Mexican,or Asian, or any other culture. That's not my problem with it. I just think kids are still going to drop out because they're missing the point

^^^

Nah, schools in Toronto are very multi-cultural, most of the schools have a good mixture of backgrounds.

I think the kids going to an all-black school may have trouble interacting with non-blacks when they start working, going to post-secondary.

But my question is what's the difference interacting between a black person and a white person, Spanish person, whatever, assuming you still speak the samelanguage? They gonna go to a job interview and reach for a dap instead of a handshake?

Already said my opinion before but it is a TERRIBLE idea.

Kids do have the choice to attend the school and it will only go through if the enrollment requirements have been met, I think it's 200 students forElementary & 500 for High School.

Originally Posted by DatZNasty

I heard some affluent, generally white, people complaining about this on the tv and shocked me. If anything, seems like they should like this idea since it keeps the "bad people" all in one building and separate from their kids.
You were doing well untill this was typed. The people you're referring to are likely smarter than your average, and possibly see this failurebefore it starts. That and the fact that the provincial education budget won't be increased due to this addition, meaning the resources for education willbe further depleted. It may be time to quit blaming white people for certain groups failures. The good news is this is what the afrocentric proponents aredoing. Taking the problem into their own hands. I'm interested to see how this works out

Back
Top Bottom