Traffic Light Camera Unappreciation Vol. I think I got caught

Find out the law in your state. In AZ the cam will take a picture and mail you a ticket if you cross the intersection on the yellow. BUT AZ state law says aslong as ANY part of your vehicle is past the line by the time the light turns red, you did NOT run the red light. All you have to do would be take the ticketto a judge and show them the light was yellow in the pic and they can't make you pay anything. This is what a cop told me. But in some states, and it usedto be this way in AZ, if ANY part of the car is in the intersection when the light turns red, even your back bumper, you ran the red.

Actually my original fine was $400.90 plus a $32 administrative fee for traffic school. It probably depends on the area you got caught in. On the ticket italso has your speed and luckily i was actually driving slowly while I was getting directions on the phone. When you get the ticket in the mail it also hasdetails about how the red light cameras work, and I think one of the things that it says is that the camera only goes off if you cross the second limit linewhen the light turns red, not yellow.

You can try fighting the ticket, but if you lose then you'll pay the full fine and probably lose your right to go to traffic school which will definitelycost you a lot in the long run. In my situation, the pictures of me and the license plate were pretty clear, and I just decided to take the L and plead guiltywith the lowered fine w/ traffic school. So on the bright side, instead of paying $432.90 (cost didn't even include the traffic school itself), I onlyended up spending a little over $100 for everything including the traffic school.

I really really hate these things...I think they can be dangerous because many drivers see them and panic as they approach a yellow light and just speed upthrough a busy intersection. I wonder if the people in a city can complain to the local government to get these cameras removed. They're just reallyunfair; even if you're a cautious driver, you can't avoid every potential driving mistake ...

someones making a lot of money off our misery, and it's not only the government...who makes these damn cameras?

Originally Posted by bulgogi012

Yeah I got caught by one on Bush and Van Ness. It was pretty obvious and I remember about 3 flashing lights going off. I got the ticket a few months later with a nice picture of me in the middle of the intersection while I was talking on my cell phone. I think my ticket was around $380 and the traffic admin fee was another $32. However, I decided to go book a court date since I had heard that often times the judge will lower your fine if he or she is in a good mood and you have a good driving record.

Later on my court date, we all got squished into a small court room and the cop that presided over us gave the judge's three options: 1. Plead guilty and get your ticket lowered to $50 with eligbility for traffic school, 2. You could plead not guilty and have the judge hear your case risking the loss of the lowered fine and traffic school, and I did not remember what the third option was nor did I really care. Since this was my first ticket, I took the first option and I ran with it and was outta there in 5 minutes.

I guess I got kinda lucky by getting a lazy judge that just did not want to deal with people that night (it was a 6PM court time). If you live close to the court house, you can book a court date hopefullly getting a judge that would show some leniency and getting a lowered fine w/traffic school.
it would suck if you were going to the court house to plead your case and while driving, you got your photo taken again by a traffic lightcamera...

F those cameras.

And I just left the house to go get some grub with my girl and got pulled over for not having a front license plate. SMH. Pigs need to go fight some damn crimeand leave me alone. Just a excuse to pull me over.

Originally Posted by bulgogi012

Actually my original fine was $400.90 plus a $32 administrative fee for traffic school. It probably depends on the area you got caught in. On the ticket it also has your speed and luckily i was actually driving slowly while I was getting directions on the phone. When you get the ticket in the mail it also has details about how the red light cameras work, and I think one of the things that it says is that the camera only goes off if you cross the second limit line when the light turns red, not yellow.

You can try fighting the ticket, but if you lose then you'll pay the full fine and probably lose your right to go to traffic school which will definitely cost you a lot in the long run. In my situation, the pictures of me and the license plate were pretty clear, and I just decided to take the L and plead guilty with the lowered fine w/ traffic school. So on the bright side, instead of paying $432.90 (cost didn't even include the traffic school itself), I only ended up spending a little over $100 for everything including the traffic school.
Wait, so your ticket was only around 100 because you went to court?
eek.gif

It was night time, and when I went through it, it turned red right before, and then because of the flashing lights, I slowed down when I went through itbecause I was like WTH IS GOING ON?!
laugh.gif
But no other car was waiting atthe intersection or anything, I was the only car.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by MiYaBaLlEr24

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

I was in Downtown SF today and decided to run a yellow light (Hayes & Polk) and I see two camera flashes go off
eek.gif

I think I got caught.
mad.gif
Serves you right. It's drivers like you that end up getting into some kind of accident and injuring someone...
eyes.gif

Wait, so your ticket was only around 100 because you went to court?
eek.gif

Yeah I guess it depends on the judge. That night I was lucky to get a lazy judge. The Judge basically said all tickets lowered to $50 w/trafficschool if I don't have to hear your case so a bunch of people just took that offer and went home. So I guess $50 (ticket) + $32 (traffic school admin fee)+ $20 (online traffic school) = $102 (Total) which was much better $400.90 + $32 + $20 = $452.90 so I ended up savin about $340 by just going to court.

Back
Top Bottom