TRYING TO MOVE TO SoCAL NEXT MONTH

so my mother got a job offer in LA and wants to relocated from Maryland to LA next month. I was wondering where the least expensive place to stay is near LA.Keep in mind i dont know too much about your beautiful state.

I've asked my girl (who lives in OC) and she said Alhambra is probably my best bet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Whats good homie!

Getting outta MD to move to beautiful CALI?! Things are looking up
laugh.gif

Eh, the commute for your Moms wouldn't be a good look from the OC to LA so you can definitely find a spot 20-25 minutes outside of Los Angeles.

I'm not sure what kind of spot you're looking for: Apartment, Condo, House or buying or renting.

I would look into cities like: Hacienda Heights, Covina, West Covina, Walnut or Rowland Heights (which could be 15-20 minutes south of the OC and 20-25 minutesto L.A)

If you wanna go a little more East and be in a somewhat newer and safer city check out Diamond Bar (that's as far East as you should go ... Maybe ChinoHills but the commute to L.A would be a mission).

Either way you're gonna hit morning traffic to L.A and rush hour on the way home but at least you're away from that busy city life but yet close enoughto get to your girl or to L.A.

If your girl lives in Alhambra I have a feeling you might be Viet (if i'm wrong then whatever
laugh.gif
) those cities demographics are mostly Asians andHispanics.

The prices of living is a bit cheaper in those cities but give me more info and I'll help you out.

least expensive and you're coming from the east coast? your view of our 'beautiful state' will get jaded real quick. welcome i guess, the statecould use your money =)

thanks bright nikes, doin' more research now, just needed some direction. i've been to cali about 20 times in 2 and half years, but its always justbeen around SD or chillin with my girl and fam. its about time i made the move.

Well first off...what are you? White, hispanic, asian, black, etc?

Not being racist but it sorta gives a feel on where you'd prefer to stay.

Bright Nikes is pretty much on point. Alhambra/Rosemead/MOnterey Park/Arcadia areas are dominantly asians.

Id be careful if you were to end up in a city like El MOnte, certain parts could give you trouble depending on the color of your skin.

laugh.gif
i'm a filipino, put me in the right place. we're looking to either rent or buy a house.

been talking to girl's fam, they live in azusa, too expensive... my girl lives in buena park, ive heard cypress isnt so pricey?

Originally Posted by bamez

laugh.gif
i'm a filipino, put me in the right place. we're looking to either rent or buy a house.

been talking to girl's fam, they live in azusa, too expensive... my girl lives in buena park, ive heard cypress isnt so pricey?

I'm from the DMV so its always good to add more heads to socal..... uuuh welll... If u want a laid back area that aint ghetto basically same commute as OCtry Santa Clarita, they got some big houses for cheap.

Originally Posted by bamez

laugh.gif

I have a few flip friends and these are the cities where theyre at...baldwin park, cerritos, long beach, la puente, and fullerton area.

You might want to look into those areas as they might be suitable for you.

Any commute to LA would be pretty bad in the morning no matter what freeway you take. But Id say Cerritos would be your best bet.

dont live in rowland heights unless you like being around thousands of people who dont know how to drive. lots of flips in west covina, carson/south bay, eaglerock, actually pretty much anywhere. go to the goldilocks website and look where they are at in so cal and you shall find your people there.

Haha i don't have to be around Filipinos, but thanks. Any1 currently have their own place at any of the places mentioned? How much you pay?

Filipino.... go for West Covina.
I'm from San Gabriel, mostly Hispanic/Chinese/Vietnamese.
West Covina is beautiful, I hear it isn't too expensive (my dad says it's because a lot of the city is over a landfill...) and there are plenty ofFilipinos.
Alhambra's alright, it's also closer to Los Angeles.

Originally Posted by purplenurple1414

Filipino.... go for West Covina.
I'm from San Gabriel, mostly Hispanic/Chinese/Vietnamese.
West Covina is beautiful, I hear it isn't too expensive (my dad says it's because a lot of the city is over a landfill...) and there are plenty of Filipinos.
Alhambra's alright, it's also closer to Los Angeles.
That commute is gonna be horrible. Like the guy said, he doesn't have to be around Filipinos.

Either way, no matter what city his family chooses, he's gonna find at least 1 other Filipino family on the same block and a Filipino supermarket down thestreet.

Off the top of my head, try these cities (no particular order):

- Burbank
- Culver City
- Glendale
- North Hollywood
- Pasadena

smh.gif
.....and
laugh.gif
@ you guys telling dude his best bet is neighborhoodswith other Filipino people.

"Haha i don't have to be around Filipinos, but thanks."

smokin.gif

If you want to be near Los Angeles and many of the nearby coastal cities, then Diamond Bar is a bit far IMO (35-40 minutes from Downtown LA withouttraffic). Plus the 60 and the 10 are riddled with traffic, even on weekends.

Alhambra is cool, about 15 minutes from Downtown LA without traffic. It is also moderately priced, the closer you get to South Pasadena/San Marino, themore expensive it gets. Same with the closer you get to East LA, the cheaper it gets,
laugh.gif
. Even the cheap parts of Alhambra, are not bad. Personally, Alhambra is thefurthest East I would go, but that is me.

West Covina has some expensive areas, but also has reasonable areas as well. Look into Temple City, which is adjacent to Arcadia, if you are looking for"cheap" spots.

"Well first off...what are you? White, hispanic, asian, black, etc?"

laugh.gif
, You can't be serious?

If you care about your Mothers mental health, avoid anything East of the 605. The commute will be 45 minutes to 1 hour +, daily (There is traffic everyday,prepare for that).

Since it doesn't look like you are going East and are looking into Cypress. It would be good to look into certain parts of Downey, Lakewood,Bellflower, Cerritos, maybe Garden Grove and Hawaiian Gardens.

^he said he's filipino

everyones pretty much suggesting every city
laugh.gif
find whats comfortable to you. filipinos from LA/eagle rock are way different then those in westcovina/covina/walnut and both are real different from the long beach/cerritos ones...

Originally Posted by Sha77er S7ar I

filipinos from LA/eagle rock are way different then those in west covina/covina/walnut and both are real different from the long beach/cerritos ones...

this is the %%*#$$#@@#!@+ truth.

Originally Posted by Sha77er S7ar I

^he said he's filipino

everyones pretty much suggesting every city
laugh.gif
find whats comfortable to you. filipinos from LA/eagle rock are way different then those in west covina/covina/walnut and both are real different from the long beach/cerritos ones...

hahahahaha dudes gonna overload with all the suggestions.

I think IRONMAN had it best. Dont got any further East than the 605 or youre gonna regret it.

Cheap is a relative word when it comes to socal (especially in LA/OC). Depending on what part of MD you are from, you and your moms could be in for asurprise. You always have to weight the commute/cost trade off as the further outside of the metro area you get, the longer your dollar goes in terms ofhousing.

Just to give you an idea, I've been houseshopping for what seems like an eternity now. I refuse to make a long commute for work so my areas of choicewere somewhat limited. I was looking primarily in the Playa Vista area (which is next to Marina Del Rey, Culver City, Westchester... basically just north ofLAX). The stuff I was looking at were 2bd/2ba condos, approximately 1100-1200 sq ft, built in 2000 or newer for $500K. Playa is a nice safe area but by nomeans is it a rich part of town. If you go further south into the South Bay (Torrance, Gardena, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhattan Beach, etc...) you might be ableto find somethin a bit cheaper in the $400K range or cheaper especially if you get into some older construction units. If you are looking for a SFR...good luck homie. Many single familys in decent parts of town will run you $500K+ easy.

Back
Top Bottom