TurboTax Legit?

Its legit for those with straightforward taxes.

I couldnt imagine using it if I had to itemize deductions, etc.

Originally Posted by y0ung j33zy

are there any cons as opposed to doing it through a company like HR Block?

If you don't have any deductions, just fill out the 1099EZ.  If you have deductions, doing taxes yourself will eat up about a week of your free time.  Either way, you'll have to collect all of your tax docs to make sure you maximize your deductions.

oh damn forgot it was this time of the year...they should make a tax sticky

but yea TT is good if you have the basics...it will walk you through everything...most are as simple as answering a few questions and filling in boxes from info on your W2

if you have something more complex and have no experience you might be best off dealing with some preparing company...just dont fall for any of that rapid/instant refund nonsense...get it in early and it will be back quick...no need to give up a chunk of your return (if getting one)

inb4 the why are you loaning money to the govt for free/ you should be paying or at exactly zero posts
nerd.gif

Turbo Tax is nice but they hardly get you any money on your return. I use it out of convenience but my sister and brother go to private tax companies and they seem to get way more then what I get back and my sister doesn't even get paid like I do. Every year, I get back only a couple of hundred dollars and my siblings all usually get a grand or two.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Turbo Tax is nice but they hardly get you any money on your return. I use it out of convenience but my sister and brother go to private tax companies and they seem to get way more then what I get back and my sister doesn't even get paid like I do. Every year, I get back only a couple of hundred dollars and my siblings all usually get a grand or two.
all tax situations are different..you guys are in different brackets and i assume have different things that you can deduct- also what are they being taxed?

there's a lot of variables that go into it all...turbo tax is usually str8 forward...alot of companies will try and stretch things out and they know the loopholes so they can try to squeeze extra dollars here and there with little risk of an audit

most will say the fact that you only get back a couple hundred is better...that means you have that money to spend over the course of the year as opposed to in a lump sum at tax time...some prefer it the other way

^^^^^I actually don't even know what my bro and sis deduct. I guess I get all salty every year cause they always make some nice purchases with their returns. That makes sense about getting little back. I beleve that might be the case in my situation.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

I don't understand why people say this?  If you don't itemize, it doesn't matter where you go or what program you use.  It's as black and white as you can get. 
So yeah OP... use turbo tax but if your's is simple enough use the free ones...

http://www.irs.gov/efile/article/0,,id=118986,00.html

Back
Top Bottom