u can edit ur username now

Some of these name changes got me like :stoneface: :lol: :smh:

Putting symbols in ya name. World gone mad indeed.

To me it defeats the purpose of a name change if your old screen name is still displayed.

I don't say that to complain. Just my opinion.

And mine is kinda silly because I just removed the number.

the changing a screen name to a famous person or famous character is pretty odd imo

whos gonna be the first guy to change his name to Michael Jackson or Homer Simpson?

This was probably answered already but why do some have the "formally known as" and some don't?

Cats really complain about anything. It's a useful way to identify members that they may already be familiar with, and cats don't like it because 'it's an eyesore'. Man come on.

Ah, ok.

Hopefully whoever is in charge decides to let me rock, not really a fan of the "formally" but I get why it's done.

I only removed a letter, so I'm pretty sure everyone still knows who I am anyway.

To me it defeats the purpose of a name change if your old screen name is still displayed.
When dozens of longtime community members all change their names within a one week span, that has the potential to create a lot of confusion. @mentions suddenly stop working. Users who've changed names often change the accompanying avatar. You'd have no means of recognizing anyone, unless you memorized join dates for some reason.

Imagine if you hadn't visited NT in a month. Suddenly the site looks different, it doesn't work exactly the way you remember, and you don't recognize half the people in the forums.

"The label looks a little odd" and "I wanted a totally fresh start... but I also wanted to keep all my old posts and stats" are a small sacrifice to make to reduce the chaos.

It was basically this, or only allow capitalization/spacing changes - as was the case on other sites. Given all the interest in the name change feature, I think we made the right call.

Cats really complain about anything. It's a useful way to identify members that they may already be familiar with, and cats don't like it because 'it's an eyesore'. Man come on.
I like how when ever someone has a different opinion, "complain about anything" gets dropped like clockwork. It is an eyesore imo and it does defeat the whole purpose of a name change. Like I said earlier, it's amusing how many of you are tied to another users sn, when they had no issue changing it completely (ex: Brolic Soldier). Meth heard your cries though and accommodated those that felt lost without knowing a members old sn.

Last edited:

I don't say that to complain. Just my opinion.

And mine is kinda silly because I just removed the number.

Why would you care unless you're trying to be a new person and erase your previous time on NT?

Yeah, this isn't witness protection. Unless you're trying to hide something then it helps when people see all these new sn's.

Why would you care unless you're trying to be a new person and erase your previous time on NT?
Or just maybe the person created their account when they were very young and is trying to shed the sn they came up with at a more juvenile time?

Or just maybe the person created their account when they were very young and is trying to shed the sn they came up with at a more juvenile time?
Those users have had to live with their account name for years already. I don't think a transition period is too much to ask for those users who still want to keep all their old posts.

The two viable options were:

a) the ability to change your name, but with a "formerly known as label" to reduce the confusion associated with everyone changing their names at once.
b) the ability to only change the capitalization/spacing of your name.

Which option better serves users who want to move on from an account name created during their youth?

Users have always had the option to abandon an account entirely and replace it with a new one. This is certainly a gentler alternative.

I agree with users who feel there should be some accountability with name changes as well. It's one thing to say "this name doesn't reflect me today, but it's a part of my past that I've accepted and continued posting under as of yesterday." It's another to say, "I'm embarrassed by how I've behaved. I want to eliminate any negative associations with my old account.... but keep the join date and post count as status symbols."

It's difficult to be too sympathetic to the latter case. If you can't stand by the old account, why choose a renaming method that retains all the old posts instead of just creating a new account?

Those users have had to live with their account name for years already. I don't think a transition period is too much to ask for those users who still want to keep all their old posts.

The two viable options were:

a) the ability to change your name, but with a "formerly known as label" to reduce the confusion associated with everyone changing their names at once.
b) the ability to only change the capitalization/spacing of your name.

Which option better serves users who want to move on from an account name created during their youth?

Users have always had the option to abandon an account entirely and replace it with a new one. This is certainly a gentler alternative.

I agree with users who feel there should be some accountability with name changes as well. It's one thing to say "this name doesn't reflect me today, but it's a part of my past that I've accepted and continued posting under as of yesterday." It's another to say, "I'm embarrassed by how I've behaved. I want to eliminate any negative associations with my old account.... but keep the join date and post count as status symbols."

It's difficult to be too sympathetic to the latter case. If you can't stand by the old account, why choose a renaming method that retains all the old posts instead of just creating a new account?

I understand why you and quite a few members would assume the worst reason for a person changing their sn entirely. I look at it more as judge the content of what a member is posting instead of what their handle is. You provided the option to change our sn once and even gave us the ability to change it to something completely different, which is appreciated. I personally just wanted to keep my sn the way it looked on the old site, so I really am not affected. The only reason I addressed it in the first place is because I thought it looked wack and defeated the purpose of shedding an old unwanted sn. You have already stated why you did this and I do hope that you eventually remove it once certain members are acclimated to another member's sn.

From my understanding, this was the plan from day 1.

He didn't do this based off reaction, it just was a later stage of the rollout.
Yes, I mentioned this in the moving thread when discussing the name change feature. Including a "formerly known as" label was always considered a necessary component of any full name change function. It doesn't take 17 years of operating a community like NikeTalk to anticipate that a large number of users all changing their names at once would cause confusion.

The plan was to eliminate this confusion, not react to it. To that end, we intended to include the "formerly known as" label right away - not to roll it out at a later date. Unfortunately, development bandwidth for our site is a shared, limited resource.

When we moved to Huddler, we had to manually update and correct literally thousands of user accounts by hand to fix things like post count, join date, charity badges, etc. Servicing name changes is a smaller commitment by comparison, but there's still going to be some lag there between executing a name change and adding the custom user title.

In this case, it took days before I received the first report containing the list of users who'd performed a name change - and the list was incomplete, as it didn't include the very first set of users who'd changed their names. We'll get everything sorted out. For the past few days, labels have generally been applied within around 12 hours of each change.

Back
Top Bottom