U.S. A Net Gas Exporter For First Time In Decades vol.-{We sell more oil than we buy}

wr

[h1]U.S. A Net Gas Exporter For First Time In Decades[/h1]

March 5, 2012

The U.S. has become a net exporter of gasoline for the first time in fifty years. Thanks to rising production at refineries and declining demand, the United States exported more gasoline than it imported in December. The unusual development reflects the segmented U.S. energy market — the East Coast needs to import gas while the Midwest produces a surplus.

Spoiler [+]
ROBERT SIEGEL, HOST:
The price of gasoline edged up again today for the 27th day in a row. But here's an interesting twist: Prices are up even though the U.S. is now producing more gas than it needs. In December, for the first time in more than 50 years, the U.S. became a gasoline exporter.

NPR's Tom Gjelten explains.

TOM GJELTEN, BYLINE: It's been believed for months that the United States is turning into an exporter of finished petroleum products generally. But the official data on gasoline in particular for December brought big news: the United States that month produced 90,000 barrels of gas more than it consumed. Not much but enough to impress Rob Smith, a senior analyst at PFC Energy.

ROB SMITH: Compared to what the U.S. was just two years ago, that's a huge sea change.

GJELTEN: Two years ago, the United States needed an extra 30 million barrels each month to meet demand.

Now, here's an important point: The United States is both an exporter and an importer of gasoline at the same time. It's like we're two different countries. A lot of the oil produced in the U.S. gets refined into gasoline in Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi. It then goes into pipelines for distribution to East Coast states and other areas where gas is consumed.

But those pipelines, Rob Smith says there are too few of them and they're not big enough.

SMITH: These pipelines are essentially filled to the brim, so to speak, and yet the East Coast markets still don't have enough gasoline. So they're forced to import.

GJELTEN: The East Coast imports gasoline even though there's more than enough gasoline available down south. So the gasoline down there gets exported, mostly to Latin America. And now the U.S. is officially exporting more gas than its importing.

In part it's because the U.S. is producing more gasoline; more importantly, we're consuming less; ethanol is displacing some gasoline; we have more efficient cars. Plus, we are driving less, for reasons ranging from the economic downturn to the aging of the U.S. population.

Tom Gjelten, NPR News, Washington.
Thought I would post this here and make a thread about it instead of leaving it as a comment in the inflation thread. 

eek.gif

Originally Posted by Nike Jordan

And some people still think Obama is anti-gas. 
grin.gif

I think ppl don't see the rift between multinational corporations and people fighting for home front economics. 
Gotta wonder what kind of back door deals do some of these politicians have with these multi nationals to where they agree to pay a higher price for oil coming across the ocean rather than what's over here. 

Defies logic to me.

wait, we have our own gas but we are buying it from other countries and forcing us to pay more? am i reading this right

I DONT CARE WHERE MY GAS COMES FROM AS LONG AS IT GOES BACK TO UNDER $2/GALLON

Can someone explain why we don't increase the size of the piplines? Almost sounds like we could have a new age New Deal. Easier said than done im sure.

Originally Posted by Beermann2

Originally Posted by Zyzz

wait, we have our own gas but we are buying it from other countries and forcing us to pay more? am i reading this right

Yes.

The trick is to convince others to accept dollars for their goods.  We pay more because of inflation...

so theoretically this would be good for the economy?
what would happen if we keep the extra oil to ourselves?

maybe... we keep our oil so when 'they' run out, we will have the supply for the demand?

but will they run out? im not down with the gas prices... aint about that life

So we're drilling at a faster rate. In 40 years there'll be nothing left. People still don't realize oil is a finite resource that is on track to be depleted during their lifetime. Assuming they're under the age of 30.

Originally Posted by bigsupa

I DONT CARE WHERE MY GAS COMES FROM AS LONG AS IT GOES BACK TO UNDER $2/GALLON

thats never gonna happen. gas prices are disgusting right now
30t6p3b.gif
sad thing is its gonna go up even higher and spring just started
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by Vendetta

So we're drilling at a faster rate. In 40 years there'll be nothing left. People still don't realize oil is a finite resource that is on track to be depleted during their lifetime. Assuming they're under the age of 30.

Some people dont believe in peak oil.

^Even if the entire earth's mass was pure oil, it would still be depleted at the rate we consume. Over time the amount would reach 0. I find it funny how some people can be so concerned about "leaving a better life for my kids", but when it comes to oil it's "more, more, more for less, less, less". The kids are really going to appreciate not being able to use electricty on a whim, cars, planes, etc.

Originally Posted by odog24

Originally Posted by Beermann2

The trick is to convince others to accept dollars for their goods.  We pay more because of inflation...

so theoretically this would be good for the economy?
what would happen if we keep the extra oil to ourselves?

YES, GOOD FOR OUR ECONOMY in the sense that it spreads the us dollar around for more places outside the us. Its like free marketing/ advertising all in one. 

Back
Top Bottom