UC DAVIS Represent

Long story but I'll condense it as much as I can.

Context: Asian American Studies upper div.

-Teacher starts off asking this theoretically heavy (rhetorical) question for debate.
-We have a guy in class, only black guy I've ever seen in an ASA class, kinda interesting in itself. Anyway...dude questions the question. Asking why Asians don't want to be incorporated into mainstream American narrative.
-Teacher explains a bit, he counters.
-A girl in our class interjects, she brings up that Asian Americans are victims of the institution.
-Dude has the nerve to argue "free will" in regard to the Southeast Asian experience (vietnam, etc...)
-She starts talking about how the war was brought upon by non-Asians, and that they also dictated the migration to the U.S.
-Dude flat out says "well they had a choice...."
-She gets so fed up or just dumbfounded that she begins sobbing and arguing at the same time; points like what sort of real choice is there to make between life and death or when you're poor and you have no education.
-Dude then retorts saying he isnt trying to invalidate anyone's experience, but sob stories and excuses don't phase him, essentially.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Long story but I'll condense it as much as I can.

Context: Asian American Studies upper div.

-Teacher starts off asking this theoretically heavy (rhetorical) question for debate.
-We have a guy in class, only black guy I've ever seen in an ASA class, kinda interesting in itself. Anyway...dude questions the question. Asking why Asians don't want to be incorporated into mainstream American narrative.
-Teacher explains a bit, he counters.
-A girl in our class interjects, she brings up that Asian Americans are victims of the institution.
-Dude has the nerve to argue "free will" in regard to the Southeast Asian experience (vietnam, etc...)
-She starts talking about how the war was brought upon by non-Asians, and that they also dictated the migration to the U.S.
-Dude flat out says "well they had a choice...."
-She gets so fed up or just dumbfounded that she begins sobbing and arguing at the same time; points like what sort of real choice is there to make between life and death or when you're poor and you have no education.
-Dude then retorts saying he isnt trying to invalidate anyone's experience, but sob stories and excuses don't phase him, essentially.

Can you or anyone else who is knowledgeable elaborate on this? I've always wondered about this. Especially how and why the Vietnamese came over to the US during and after the War.

^It all centers around the White-Man's burden. During the Cold War era, you may remember learning about the arms race as well as political polarization between the Soviet Union and the U.S. In Southeast Asia, countries were relatively untouched up until that point, but the surrounding areas were all Soviet Satellite nations and some Capitalist/Democratic nations. Naturally, with the potential in SE Asia, both sides began competing for it, throwing everything they had. Before the war, the North vietnamese led by Ho Chi Minh kicked the candy-@$@ french colonials out, and were sort of encroaching upon the South. Being that the North claimed a communism, it was the U.S. cue to get involved.

The migration portion starts once the U.S. began withdrawing. Diplomats and the well educated/connected came first. They all had the utmost support and help from the U.S. community. Then after the war, when former SVA-associated people were being prosecuted by the victors in the North, they began fleeing the country to avoid re-education and possibly death. Nearby Thailand was a refugee camp, and every year the U.S. allowed a certain number of refugees in. For these 2nd and 3rd wave migrants, %@%! was no joke. By this point, the U.S. wasn't especially welcoming of the refugees (which came also from Laos, Cambodia, etc...) because of their great numbers and the potential damage they would do the countries homogeny. These 2nd and 3rd waves had the misfortune of not having the sponsors the 1st group did. They gave them welfare and public housing and likewise began associating them more with a lower-class, which was partly what my classmate's point was. If you've been keeping up, almost non of this would have been incurred without the U.S. so...PS, Ho Chi Minh was pissed because Vietnam was not one of the countries granted emancipation from their colonizers after WWII, so he said %%$% it, and took that %@%! (also part of the U.S./Britain's fault).

Edit: Sorry, I mean to say it centered around the ideology of white man's burden. In actuality, it was driven by the forces of imperialism.

Interesting. I should read more about it when I get the chance. BTW what was the black guys name? I have a feeling I might know who he is or at least the people he associates with. 
laugh.gif

I might transfer here this coming fall. as poli-sci public service major

any tips on off campus housing? anything else I should know?

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

No one reads this thread. You'll have better luck making a new thread in General.

You have any friends who go to UCD? Maybe post on your facebook status that you are looking for a room?

Originally Posted by freakydestroyer

You have any friends who go to UCD? Maybe post on your facebook status that you are looking for a room?

Unfotunately... I don't know anyone who's going to UCD. I'm from Los Angeles...

If you're transferring using a TAG from a CC you should be invited to join a transfer page on Facebook. You could get to know people from there. I would start looking into apartments right now though.

Originally Posted by yanky

If you're transferring using a TAG from a CC you should be invited to join a transfer page on Facebook. You could get to know people from there. I would start looking into apartments right now though.
Yeah just join all the UCD groups and post. If you have no luck after a while, look on Craigslist.

Ahhh it's been a minute, happy 4th of July bros. Have a good summer, good luck with summer session, and congrats on those that graduated
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

SOC 1 and 46
Good luck with classes guys, SS is no joke, def. thought I'd have a little more free time than I do. 

Originally Posted by CoolGrayMemo

I hate this heat.
My feelings exactly, can't even walk from the bus stop to class without starting to sweat bullets. It's supposed to hit 105 later on today. 
mad.gif
sick.gif
ohwell.gif

Random, but you guys know of recommendations for OUTSIDE of Davis? Sac, Vacaville, Dixon, and anywhere in between. 

Member Services Attendant SA II
ID 754204

Description

Under the direction of the Senior Assistant Director and the Coordinator of Informal Recreation, the Member Services Attendant will be responsible for providing assistance at all service locations within the ARC. The Member Services Attendant will have the knowledge and ability to work in all four service locations: two Information/Access Control Desk (ARC and Pavilion entrances), the Fitness Room, and the Equipment Room. Responsibilities will include general customer service, maintenance, class registrations, tours, access control at various posts, equipment and locker check-outs, court reservations, laundering and folding of towels, maintaining inventories, informal recreation set-ups, restocking of bathrooms, cleaning of areas and taking hourly counts of the building. Member Service Attendants will be the primary contact for patrons, and will be expected to provide a high level of service. In addition to the duties above, Member Service Attendants will be able to assist with the maintenance of all ARC operations.

Responsibilities
• Provide high level of customer service to patrons
• Provide tours to guests of the Activities and Recreation Center
• Provide access control at various posts
• Handle equipment and locker check-outs and court reservations
• Launder and fold towels, maintain inventory count and perform occasional set-ups
• Take hourly counts of the building
• Maintain Cleanliness in ARC and Pavilion areas
• Re-stocking paper supplies and soap supplies
• Trash pick-up and removal
• Servicing restroom and shower facilities
• Floor maintenance and spill cleanups
• Dust/web removal
• Cleaning glass and mirrors
• Other day to day custodial duties
• Event I post clean up

THIS POSITION DOES NOT INVOLVE CASH HANDLING.

Last edited:
Damn, didn't know there was a UCD thread. Wish I found this last year… :rofl: How many of you guys are transfers from De Anza? I've been at Davis for about a year now. Any Man. Econ majors in here? What are some easy GE's that you guys recommend? I'm trying to bring my GPA up to a 3.5 this quarter. :smokin

Back
Top Bottom