Update: As of 3/11/2013, Judge ruled to halt Bloomberg's banning of large sodas

movie theater popcorn is gonna be THAT much more expensive....

either that or more places will offer free re-fills to differentiate themselves from da competition

Mayor Bloomberg’s soda ban will cause New Yorkers to poison themselves with more aspartame

Folks, if you live in NYC, you need to leave anyway. Not due to Bloomberg’s silly nanny state initiatives, but because the city will become a death zone in the coming economic collapse. NYC is the absolutely last place you want to be when it all comes down.
Maybe Bloomberg should just ban financial collapses, huh? That’s the ticket!

:lol:
:wow:

:rofl:
Most non calorie drinks have been switched to Splenda, although Stevia is healthier.

frostythepoptart has just invalidated everything he could ever say on the topic. 

They need this here in the South though. Gas stations sell Big Gulps that are64, 96, or 12:nerd:z, a whole damn gallon, and it's like $4.99 the first time you buy it because you're paying for the cup too, but after that like .99 cents refills just bring it in and fill up. I have literally seen mugs come in and fill up 2. I kind of like the idea of a fat tax too, although most Americans don't go to the doctor for checkups annually anyways so that presents a hurdle.

They need this here in the South though. Gas stations sell Big Gulps that are64, 96, or 12:nerd:z, a whole damn gallon, and it's like $4.99 the first time you buy it because you're paying for the cup too, but after that like .99 cents refills just bring it in and fill up. I have literally seen mugs come in and fill up 2. I kind of like the idea of a fat tax too, although most Americans don't go to the doctor for checkups annually anyways so that presents a hurdle.

The south has the worst diet based on culture. I believe Mississippi has the highest obesity rate in the US. Actually, the fat tax would also be monitored by your work place. I believe they may have to pay a tax also if their employees are fat.

The south has the worst diet based on culture. I believe Mississippi has the highest obesity rate in the US. Actually, the fat tax would also be monitored by your work place. I believe they may have to pay a tax also if their employees are fat.

Mississippi is the poorest state in the US and you want to tax these fatties because they can only afford the cheap/unhealthy food? Its an economic issue above all else imo since the people have less money for food, so obviously they're gonna try to stretch the dollar in places like McD's instead of at your organic food market. Why don't we just stop subsidizing corn-based foods like anything with HFCS. What about limiting exposure of kids to advertising from the likes of Coca cola and Kraft, Nestle etc? There are numerous ways to approach this problem, instead of just penalizing people for their frugality.

Who says we can't do both? And stop taking recess out of schools, and as you alluded make the FDA less of a joke with regulating the foods we consume. And stop letting companies use words like "natural" and "organic" to mislead the general public into thinking whatever they are selling is healthy. And maybe ban BPAs. Eating healthy being expensive is somewhat of a misnomer, it's all about being smart with it. Oatmeal is good for you and probably one of the cheapest per serving items in the entire supermarket (a big *** tin with 40 servings costs maybe 2 bucks). A loaf of whole wheat bread, some minute brown rice, a bag of potatoes, bag of apples, bananas, some fresh and frozen fruits and veggies, a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts, pack of lean sandwich meat, all costs less than 45$ total and would feed a family for over a week. Of course, you have to prepare it yourself so it loses on the convenience factor.

How would you guy's feel about banning sodas (or excessive sugar containing products) from minors?

i was on a full bus from Silver Spring to Bethesda and this big *** lady literally took up two seats while drinking one of those big gulps.

so what you guys are looking for is a dictatorship.

hell why stop there. lets put a ban on how many kids we can have. how much tv we watch. how many shoes we can buy. how much water we can use. what we watch online...

:x the government cares about us?

This is less about our health, more about the fact that there is a movement to put sugar on the controlled substance list.

The criteria that justify government regulation: The item in question is unavoidable in society, toxic, can be abused and is bad for society. Researchers are saying that sugar meets all of these criteria, and the government should treat it similar to the way it treats alcohol and tobacco.

I STILL DON'T GET HOW THIS IS RELEVANT?

IF THEY CAN'T BUY A 32 OZ, WHAT'S STOPPING THEM FROM JUST BUYING TWO 16 OZ.? OR JUST MORE OF THE SMALLER DRINKS IN GENERAL?

This law isn't going to change anything. bloomberg just wants to seem like he cares.

Government tryin' to be Jenny Craig by limiting our food intake portion. :lol:

Last edited:
NYC Judge Halts NYC Soda Ban

A state judge on Monday stopped Mayor Michael Bloomberg's administration from banning New York City restaurants and other venues from selling large sugary drinks, a major defeat for the mayor who has made public-health initiatives a cornerstone of his tenure at City Hall.

The city is "enjoined and permanently restrained from implementing or enforcing the new regulations," New York Supreme Court Judge Milton Tingling decided Monday.

The regulations are "fraught with arbitrary and capricious consequences," the judge wrote. "The simple reading of the rule leads to the earlier acknowledged uneven enforcement even within a particular city block, much less the city as a whole….the loopholes in this rule effectively defeat the state purpose of the rule."

Amazing judge name.

Woooo! Suck it bloomberg. And i misspoke before and never clarified. A soda is not killing or making anyone sick. Anything used in excess irresponsibly can have bad effects. You can ******g die from drinking too much water for the record

I mean it's not like it affected me lol...Bloomberg is about to hold a news conference on the ruling :lol:

Back
Top Bottom