Upper year students: Lets talk about attending networking sessions

What are some strategies you find work in catching a recruiter's attention?

- any specific questions?
- any comments that you use every time?
- how do you differentiate for your peers?
- how do you collect the digits and follow up?
- how do you close the deal?

discuss.

Im still going for my AA, but as a server at a restaurant in a wealthy area I have plenty of opportunities to network. Do your homework, know who's gonna be there and what they're about. Ask yourself how you fit into that, and what you can contribute. Basically you repeat their mission statement back to them, and why you're the right fit. Confidence is key. A lot of kids can't keep an eye to eye conversation for a prolonged time. Let them know that you're interested in being a member/student/associate at XXX. Don't just say you want a job, say you want THAT job. Be hungry and be persistent.

Off-topic, but I read somewhere that at the end of an interview, you should ask "are there any concerns regarding my résumé?"

I think this would be a bad idea, because it would bring even more attention to the negatives in your résumé, but at the same time it could also allow you to address the issues.

What do y'all think?

Off-topic, but I read somewhere that at the end of an interview, you should ask "are there any concerns regarding my résumé?"

I think this would be a bad idea, because it would bring even more attention to the negatives in your résumé, but at the same time it could also allow you to address the issues.

What do y'all think?
Rather than saying that say something along the lines of "if there is any additional information you require please let me know" etc

What do y'all think?
at a networking event, the question is fine
but i wouldnt ask that at an interview

Doing what?

It was a leadership program aimed towards Comp Sci & Business. For the summer, an intern would be placed in a department and help them work on x, y, and z. At the end of the internship, a select few would be hired on at entry level positions. Throughout the work week, the interns would also participate in business and leadership seminars, help run Target charity events, and other stuff that no one else in the company would want to do.

If it was paid, I would have did it in a heart beat. Decided to teach for Breakthough Collaborative instead... Terrible decision :lol:

Back
Top Bottom