V.2015 ITS BALLING SEASON AGAIN.....TAXES!!! Where you doing yours?

Quick question
I just got a 1099 with 3100 and change , filed my taxes and approved , but I didn't file the 1099 , do I have to refile, last year I filed and just keep what ever was from it , nothing owed , it was from driving UBER , they literally waited till the last minute to send them out

Bolded part of your reply: That rule is only for claiming qualifying relative as a dependent.
Unbolded part of your reply: False

That is true I stand correct. But either way his dad can't claim him
Quick question
I just got a 1099 with 3100 and change , filed my taxes and approved , but I didn't file the 1099 , do I have to refile, last year I filed and just keep what ever was from it , nothing owed , it was from driving UBER , they literally waited till the last minute to send them out

File an amend return soon. That's when you can add on that income and redo your tax forms and mail it in

You may or may not owe. Heck maybe the irs owes your more money it's a possibility . All depends on how much you made and if you claim kids and get eic

Last edited:
Ur right but my return ended up being so nice
The fee made me not trip

I'm saying $400 . That's a new tv or Xbox one . Even a phone

Should had hit me up I would had did it for $50

Looks like you got earned income credit, hr block loves that. They charge like $200 more just to do a eic form..

Last edited:
That is true I stand correct. But either way his dad can't claim him
File an amend return soon. That's when you can add on that income and redo your tax forms and mail it in

You may or may not owe. Heck maybe the irs owes your more money it's a possibility . All depends on how much you made and if you claim kids and get eic
can you elaborate as to why the dad can't claim him as a qualified child even if child earned more than 3900? I'm not understanding where you see that rule...Also someone can be claimed as a dependent even if they are required to file a tax return. On their form that's why there's an option to select if you are able to be claimed as someone's dependent...or am I still missing something here?..

Last edited:
Ignore his rule regarding not being able to claim someone who is required to file, it's not true.

Your biggest issue is satisfying the support requirements. How will the dad prove that he provided more than half the support of his son who makes more than him. If he can provide this proof then he should be able to claim him.

Ignore his rule regarding not being able to claim someone who is required to file, it's not true.

Your biggest issue is satisfying the support requirements. How will the dad prove that he provided more than half the support of his son who makes more than him. If he can provide this proof then he should be able to claim him.
thanks for clarifying.

I see your point in questioning how the dad can provide for the son and claim the son if the son made more than him. I mean the dad could have savings from previous years etc. and just for this year the dad just didn't make as much. I don't think there's an issue there. If the son is a full time student, still in school, 20 years old etc. still lives at home (not an independent yet and doesnt pay anything, and the dad still supports him by paying the bills. This is okay then right?

thanks for clarifying.

I see your point in questioning how the dad can provide for the son and claim the son if the son made more than him. I mean the dad could have savings from previous years etc. and just for this year the dad just didn't make as much. I don't think there's an issue there. If the son is a full time student, still in school, 20 years old etc. still lives at home (not an independent yet and doesnt pay anything, and the dad still supports him by paying the bills. This is okay then right?

nobody on this forum should be providing you that exact answer. i recommend you contact the irs directly if that's what you want.

something else i'm thinking about the situation that you're describing is what is the 18k earner doing with the money? is it just sitting somewhere? every living situation i've been a part of involves people contributing to the household based on their ability; it is hard for me to picture an adult depleting their savings for the sake of allowing a child to build their own savings at a time where the child has their own job and is earning 18k.

also, now i'm curious if you're describing something that's already happened, or attempting to plan/structure something for the future. i'm glad you are finding the conversation helpful and informative.

I agree. We can only give a general answer with a lot of ifs, without seeing financial details it's not possible to provide you with a definitive response.

can you elaborate as to why the dad can't claim him as a qualified child even if child earned more than 3900? I'm not understanding where you see that rule...Also someone can be claimed as a dependent even if they are required to file a tax return. On their form that's why there's an option to select if you are able to be claimed as someone's dependent...or am I still missing something here?..

Just don't do it basically. There is a lot of clauses and holes. You need to read up on what villain posted because all the information and answers to your questions is there and in also answered in my other post

The $3900 that is for relatives not children and I corrected myself

But it didn't matter because your dad still can't claim him. Read what villin posted and I posted.

The son made more then your day. So he provided more then half of his support

Son is required to file taxes. He will not be able to claim himself if his dad claimed him and son won't be able to claim anyone as well so the son will end up owing big time a few thousand

The option that ask can anyone else claim you as a dependant is on the form so they can disqualify you and not count yourself

Child must be under 19 or 24 if full time student

So don't even do it, it's going to bite you hard and come back on you if dad claim the son because then the son cannot claim himself or anybody which will make him owe big time especially if he made 18000

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-too...-a-Dependent-on-Your-Tax-Return/INF12139.html

You need to talk to a tax person or irs..there Mau be some sort of mumble humble loophole a tax person may know but it's going to set off a red flag

Last edited:
thanks for clarifying.

You think the irs is going tongonfor that?.. go talk to a tax person and see what they say.

Nobody really knows because what your asking to do is shady.

Irs will lol at that. And there is a rule if son made more then person claiming him , the person cannot provided more then half of his support

It ain't going to fly buddy. Probably going to trigger a red flag and manual review if you try to file it

It's kind of like saying you made 10k last year but donated 25k.. how you donate more then what you made.

It's going to trigger a red flag

Last edited:
How is it not going to fly? Ok for a crazy example...in 2013 dad hit the lotto or maybe sold property and made a lot. In 2014 he decided to chill and not work and made only 10k. The son, still living at home and all the criteria to be a dependent earned 18k but dad still supported the son (we are looking at the son as still being dependent... how the son be on his own earning 18k? )

Would this not fly? I'm just trying to see why can't this situation be okay?

So I am filling out my tax refund form and I am trying to get the American Opportunity credit.

I definitely qualify for the credit , but turbo tax is saying that I don't.

Can anybody help?

Edit: Information

-Full time student

-Pursing degree

-Cannot be claimed

-22 yrs old

-Claimed American Opp credit past 3 years. (Allowed up to 4 years)

Last edited:
How is it not going to fly? Ok for a crazy example...in 2013 dad hit the lotto or maybe sold property and made a lot. In 2014 he decided to chill and not work and made only 10k. The son, still living at home and all the criteria to be a dependent earned 18k but dad still supported the son (we are looking at the son as still being dependent... how the son be on his own earning 18k? )

Would this not fly? I'm just trying to see why can't this situation be okay?
You are using hypothetical. I don't understand the need for hypothetical when it's unlikely your situation fit the scenario you presented.

So I am filling out my tax refund form and I am trying to get the American Opportunity credit.
I definitely qualify for the credit , but turbo tax is saying that I don't.
Can anybody help?

Edit: Information
-Full time student
-Pursing degree
-Cannot be claimed
-22 yrs old
-Claimed American Opp credit past 3 years. (Allowed up to 4 years)
Can you see how it's being presented on Form 8863?

You are using hypothetical. I don't understand the need for hypothetical when it's unlikely your situation fit the scenario you presented.

Go ahead and claim the son. Seem like that's the answer you want. Problem solved. Have fun with that audit

Any recommendations for online filing? I usually do turbotax but they increased their fees.

Filed today 30 minutes later got an emailing saying accepted. Need look and see when I will get the package.

Okay I figured out why it wasn't giving me the American Opp. credit , so now I have that squared away. How is the IRS about auditing for the American Opp. credit?

Last edited:
I was getting an extra 1300 back with the American OP. But it was only for your first four years....had to take the L

Filed today 30 minutes later got an emailing saying accepted. Need look and see when I will get the package.
Wait a day or two then try to pull your transcripts and I can tell you the exact date

Okay I figured out why it wasn't giving me the American Opp. credit , so now I have that squared away. How is the IRS about auditing for the American Opp. credit?
To many people faslely claim it like people faslely claim other people kids for eic Your refund is going to get held up for a few weeks or more

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom